The Anti-Estrogenic Diet

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • This is really great! I also read this article, and thought it would be worth a try. but when i showed it to my husband, he said that it sounded 'hokey'. (no offense to the co-author ). Please keep me updated about your progress. My dr just changed my b.c. prescription to progesterone only since i was having major heart problems with the estrogen kind. to me this makes sense...to my hubby...well...*sigh...if he's not game, it doesnt seem to happen.
  • Anti-Estrogenic Diet

Hi, I am new to this site. I am going to start on this diet tomorrow (10/19). Will let post my progress after few days. It looks promising...let's see if I can reach my goal.
  • Well I have been told by my dr. that I have a "fatty liver" as I am sure alot of us do IF we weigh in the upper 200's. So any diet plan that promotes foods that support a better liver function and chemical free foods will benefit the liver. I think the average person does NOT need a "liver detox?" But when you weigh 366..you ain't average. When someone has that amount of body fat percentage...there has to be toxins in the body..thus producing a hormonal effect.

I have not read the book...and I consider myself a "diet expert" as I have read so many books it is not funny. I need to get the book to give a better opinion....It may turn out to be basicly the same as the RAW foods diet I have been on this summer??...the article in the mag was just to vague.
  • Quote: I haven't read this book, so I can't comment on the specifics of the plan. However, the comment about the diet including a liver detox made me cringe. Detox diets and products are the latest scam to hit consumers. Some of the biggest names in the medical profession, such as Dr. David Katz of Yale and the infamous Dr. Mehmet Oz, have stated that our bodies (including our livers) naturally detox and we should avoid any program that that suggests otherwise. Based on the website that promotes this diet, it looks like they also recommend purchasing special products to go with it. That shouldn't be necessary with a balanced diet

The best thing you can do is let your body naturally clean itself, and just stop putting junk back in it I feel so much better when I eat whole, unprocessed foods, and there's nothing additional I need to do.
    Well, everyone is welcome to believe however they choose about whatever diet. But, consider this - why is it that soooooo many people are getting sicker and fatter and dying of cancer left and right? You need to ask yourself, what could be the cause. There has to be a reason, and it has to do with our constant exposure to chemicals, which create an excessive estrogenic environment in our bodies.

There are always skeptics everywhere. It's very easy to sit back and be critical without actually trying something yourself. I can tell you that I've been living this diet for the last three years and have never felt better, been leaner or had better blood chemistry. Furthermore, I've worked with several people who have had tremendous success and benefit from being on this diet, and that's not only in the area of weight loss, but also helping alleviate PMS and menopausal symptoms and prostate enlargement in men.

As for detox, you're right, your body will naturally detoxify itself, however it becomes virtually impossible to do so effectively when you're constantly ingesting toxins on a daily basis from eating chemically laden foods. You don't need the supplements to make the Anti-Estrogenic Diet successful - they only enhance the process. We tell our followers all the time that supplements aren't required for dietary success. Unfortunately, many of our fruits and vegetables are deficient of the many vitamins and minerals that our bodies need to maintain a healthy metabolism. Supplementing - the right way, just gives your body an edge that it normally doesn't have, unless you're ingesting several times the amount of fruits and vegetables. If you want a more natural way, in place of taking supplements, you can either eat large amounts of fresh veggies and fruits, or juice. These are natural ways of detoxifying the body.
  • rwosborn, What do you think of progesterone supplementation?

Jay
  • Progesterone
    I don't consider myself an authority on the subject, but do feel that progesterone supplementation can have its benefits, however Ori Hofmekler, who knows far more about it than I, questions the effectiveness of some of the creams etc. I think it's very important for men and women alike to support the hormonal system by eating plenty of foods that are rich in essential fats that the body needs to support the sex hormones, such as raw nuts and seeds. It's a more natural way of boosting progesterone in women, which in turn, helps the body to effectively burn fat and alleviate some of the nagging PMS symptoms, etc.
  • Skinny,

Did you happen to read "Eat to Live" it is a really good book and explains a lot of things based on real scientific research. The author actually doesn't advocate a raw diet but does advocate a low fat, whole foods, vegan diet. It is actually pretty amazing. I'm on my second week and I like it a lot. If you did a raw diet, it might appeal to you as well.

I personally am very interested in whole foods diets as I've been basically following a whole foods diet for the past 3 to 4 years. It has been what has helped me lose the weight so far.
  • Nelie, I also enjoyed Eat to Live, the book and the diet It's not something I could have jumped into a few years ago, but I've gradually moved in that direction.

Regarding raw foods, I was curious about that but quickly backed off after reading what Dr. Weil had to say about raw food diets.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA357082

Basically, it's not as safe or as nutritious as you'd think.
  • I agree with the fact that Eat to Live isn't something I could've done years ago. I also think that not enough diet plans explain well enough why you should do something and that is where books like Eat to Live come in that give you solid recommendations based on multiple sources of research. I couldn't even imagine writing a book with so many varied sources. Not only does the author cover anecdotal information from his patients but he also covers numerous scientific studies. I was amazed

I also think I read that Dr Weil article a while back because I was considering doing a raw diet for a short period of time but I am glad I have found something I am happy with and is very maintainable.
  • Nellie...I have NOT read Eat to Live...but I will be very interested in checking it out. Is it a older book? Also could you give me the author name...or I am sure I can google it. I will check it over at B&N tomorrow.

Basicly I have been eating in the Phase 2 of SB plan, without even knowing it..lots of veggies and fruits and whole grain only..nothing white or processed. It is just so unusually HARD for me to lose weight...so it is easy for me to hit plateaus...I just NEED so much to get to 249 mentally..it would really do my heart good.

Suzanne...thanks for the RAW food link. You know, I actually had thoughts that the cooking process had to kill some of the bacteria that is on our food. Also I had read where the iron in spinach is released by heat also. I noticed on Dr. Oz's show where they had a study group eating a RAW food diet for ten days...they ate an enormous quantity to insure they where getting the adequate amount of nutrients.
  • Skinny,
    The author is Joel Fuhrman. The book is about 2 years old and I checked it out at the library but I liked the book so much, I decided to buy it from Amazon for $10. The foreword is done by Dr Oz and I was actually reading another book by a different author that recommended the diet.
  • I was really excited to start the Anti-estrogenic diet when I got my copy in the mag. I have been dealing with fertility issues and weight that I can not lose no matter what. My blood test for fertility showed that I have mild estrogen dominance. While my Dr. poo pooed it, I was concerned.

I was so eager to jump in and try the diet that I just used the magazine article as a reference. By the end of the day I hated the fruits and veggies.

Okay but I'm not saying this is bad or that the diet is bad. One of the things that some dieters don't realize is that there may be more to the story. IE: What all you can actually eat than what is in the article. They only have so much room, and don't want to give away all the details. They still want you to buy the book. Otherwise how is the author going to make any money. The magazine articles are like teasers, they get you interested then you have to look for more answers.

So I stopped the diet after that one day... Went online Ordered the book, once I get the book and get the real information I will go back on the program.

I have IBS and can tolerate almost nothing daily, but I do have to say that one day on the program I didn't have one problem with my IBS. So that alone would make me want to continue it.

My hormones are out of wack... I have been trying to tell my Dr.'s this for years but I have no medical background so I'm just looking for attention. If you know what I mean

Good Luck all. I'll post my progress.
  • I have been on the Anti-Estrogenic diet from the "First" article since Monday and I have been pretty loose with some aspects such as I had cocktail shrimp on two nights instead of fish every night. I have lost 8.5 lbs as of Friday. I have also started cheating with eating some nuts in order to not go scarf a sugary snack. I am very impressed with it so far. At first, I was frustrated with being hungry and not having something convenient to go to (you have to plan ahead). I also had a pretty rough headache on the Monday evening and all day Tuesday. I figure that was from going cold turkey off refined sugar. Today is the first day I have sat down and started to google more about the subject and I came upon this board. It is really wild that this diet is sometimes recommended for menstrual irregularity because I am 8 months postpartum and am breastfeeding, and I have resumed menstrual cycles, but very abnormal for me. I had one heavy cycle, then didn't have one for 40 days and again, I have been waiting for another cycle and since I have been on this diet for a week, I am now cycling again. It has been 42 days since last time. I wonder if rwosborn would have information about being on a progesterone only bc pill? Would that affect the weight loss results?

I bought a lot of raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries. I found out real quick that raspberries are pretty tart and not so sweet. But I found a way to combat it by making a smoothie with the yogurt. It turned out pretty good for my first time to ever make one. I think that the fruit could definitely cause anyone to have loose/irritable bowels. I found that out when I ate too many raspberries one day. I am glad to join your group and look forward to your replies about this diet.
  • Sounds good, but here's my issue:

My ob did lots of testing and found that i am naturally estrogen dominant. My progesterone is only at .05. How will this diet work for someone such as me? What will it do?
  • Thinny, please ask your doctor about this, as no one here can answer that question, unfortunately. You should bring the book to your doctor, or copy a sample menu and list of requirements for him/her to review and see how it applies to your situation.

The authors of the book in question are not doctors and have not been trained in medicine. Ori Hofmekler is an artist and worked for a few years as a fitness writer for Playboy or Penthouse magazine. Rwosborn studied art and ministry, and currently works in markerting at Defense Nutrition, the supplement company that sells the products recommended by the Anti-Estrogenic diet, and who also refers to the book as their "product".

Will this diet help you lose weight? Of course. Any diet that reduces calories will cause weight loss. All diets work as long as you can stick with them. Find a diet that appeals to you because that is the one you will stick with. If you are interested in this particular diet, look it over in a book store or library and ask yourself if you can follow this long term. Regarding the rest of the claims, discuss them with your doctor. So far we've not found any published studies by the authors to back up this book. If you think the claims in this book may help you and your specific medical needs, discuss them with your own doctor and take his or her advise.

Good luck