need info on Dr. Bernstein diet (was Please HELP)

• Hi,

My sister is going to sign up for the Dr. Bernstein diet and is going to put herself in debt to do it. Can anyone tell me if this diet is maintainable. I have heard many people lose the weight quickly but what happens after you finish with the shots and try to increase your calories? I don't want her to spend all this money for nothing.

Thanks
  • While it's possible and even easy to regain after following any diet, quick weight loss diets such as this have a higher chance of regain, and it's usually faster.

Maintenance is more difficult than weight loss. Does she have a lot of weight to lose? Has she tried any other diet plans before making this decision?
  • She wants to lose about 60 pounds and she has not been able to stick to any other diet even Weight Watchers which is pretty flexible. That is why I am worried if she couldn't last on WW how is she going to make it on 1000 calories a day. I think she is attracted to the fast weight loss.
  • After a quick internet search, this Dr. Bernstein diet is sounding shady. One site stated that patients are limited to between 850-950 calories per day! Of course one would drop weight on that allotment...I'd be so scared of the regain. Another site states that the injections are a combination of vitamins B6 and B12, which work to "break down fat." Hmmmmm. Please beware!
  • I agree it seems kind of unhealthy. I mean what does being on such a low calorie diet do to your metabolism when you try to go onto maintenance. I just wish my sister would listen to me she thinks it is a quick fix. She is always looking for an easy way to get things done.