Enzyme Supplements

• Do the multi-enzyme pills really work as digestive aids? I was told I have trouble digesting carbs properly, and I cannot stop eating them. I eat them in whole grains now, but I was told I should stop eating grains period. Not happening. Anyway, do these works? And what's the best way to take them? Before you eat, after you eat? And how soon before or after you eat? 10 minutes? 15? The bottle just says before or after. Doesn't specify a time. And how long until you see results? Do they work immediately, or take a month like other supplements?
  • Who told you that you have trouble with carb digestion? And short of having something like celiac syndrome, I don't think you need a "no grain" regimen.

As far as enzyme supplements go, I only heard of them being used to prevent/relieve symptoms of indigestion (gas, etc.) but I never heard of them being touted to aide digestion.

And depending on exact sugars are causing the problems, you may need different enzymes (for example, the lactaid enzyme is specific to aide in breakdown of lactose, a milk sugar.)
  • Are you talking about pro-biotics perhaps? I'm confused as to what exactly enzyme supplements are.
  • A multi-enzyme contains things that break down the nutritional components of fats, proteins, and carbs. Some also have the stuff to break down milk sugar. They are supposed to help our bodies digest things better, or so I was told.

EDIT:
    I found this site and it might explain what I am talking about.
    http://pages.prodigy.net/naturedoctor/enzymes.html
  • I have stomach issues from getting an amoebic infection while travelling in the Philippines and I take these to help lessen the stomach pain I have all the time. The doc also prescribed me a prescription that helps do this (empty the stomach) so that the acid does not upset my stomach even more. I haven't noticed a huge increase in the amount of weight it may or may not help you lose, but I have a girlfriend who swears by it.