scales

• Does anybody know of a good weight/body fat % scale? Right now I have a homedics and it may just be getting old, but when the readings may differ even when I just stepped on it a minute before (yes, I'm obsessed with the scale, I sometimes check my weight several times a day). So now I'm looking to buy a new one and want to make sure it's accurate.

Thanks!
  • Why are you checking your weight several times a day? It's pointless. R-e-a-l-l-y pointless. Your weight fluctuates naturally all day long -- you're getting no useful information. If you must weigh every day, it should be at the same time under the same conditions. Even then you are going to see fluctuations. Please check out this article: Why the Scale Lies.

In answer to your question, I have a Tanita scale that I'm very happy with. It does measure BF -- Tanita invented the electrical impedence method of measuring BF. It is NOT as accurate as professional BF measurements by water displacement or a well-trained technician with calipers. However, it can give you a good ballpark on a monthly basis. The caveat, though, is that the most accurate readings are done under very specific conditions; be sure and read the manual thoroughly.
  • Also read this thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51927
  • Funniegirl, I loved, loved, loved that article. Thank you so much for pointing it out. Really,really imformative.

Katie I also have a Tanita scale with bodyfat % and I am quite happy with it. Like already mentioned, IT doesn't fluctuate much, but I do.
  • I, too, have a Tanita scale and quite happy with it too -- the variety that reads bodyfat costs about $30 I believe (probably less with a sale / coupon).

But the body fat scales are a no no if you have a pacemaker or similar devices, they estimate body fat by sending a mild electric signal through your body which can disturb those things.
  • I'd never heard of Tanita, so I'll have to check it out!

And I know there's no point to weighting multiple times a day. The only one I really count is the one first thing in the morning. If it goes up, I don't beat my self up, I just get more motivated.

Also, I saw some scales that measure body water. Does anyone know anything about that?
  • My Tanita scale measures water as well. But I really don't pay attention to it much. It's model #BF-681W. I bought it online for about $50.00.
  • I see there is a large variety of the Tanita scale - which models worked for you? thx
  • I have the Tanita scale that measures water. I haven't found that part useful, although the scale is very consistent.