Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #1  

Default bodybugg by apex fitness

Anyone heard about this?

I ordered it last week and just saw an article in womens health over the weekend about it.

I've only been wearing it 3 days. You upload the info tracked on it to the apex web site. It measures your calories burned and you input what you ate for the day on the web site and it gives you your calorie deficit.

It also measures your steps.

It measures calories burned minute b minute, and is 92% accurate. This device was given top honors by popular science in 2005.

Anyone else using this device?

www.apexfitness.com
www.bodybugg.com
Old 11-18-2006, 01:22 AM   #2  
it's always something

Have you received your order yet? I'm curious and would like to know your opinion
Old 01-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #3  

Cool bodybugg

Ok I had some trouble logging on a few times but here I am.

I used my bugg for awhile and stopped but now I am using it full force.

So here is the deal. First off you have to have a fat wallet. The $399.00 price tag may stop most people. Me, eh well my buddy Visa or Mastercard (I forgot who was most generous to buy it for me) paid the tab (temporarily of course).
Second youhave to have a loosing home team to get you kick started (thanks Baltimore Ravens... you tried though).

Ok the website is myapex.com or bodybugg.com, whichever you prefer. They are going to start infomercialing this device next month so maybe it will be a bit cheaper.

You wear the device on your upper arm all day. You get used to it but you know its always there (big brother!). It really does make me think twice about what I put in my mouth. I know I have to be accountable to the web sit for everything I eat.

You get a login and a password for the site and have a main page where you have to input your consumed foods. The basics and some fast foods are in there. Some things I eat I have to manualy input the nutritional facts. It doesnt take long and once they are in they are stored to use again.

You can connect your device (cables are provided) to your computer for upload anytime you want. It uploads and tells you calories burned and steps walked. For my experience it is pretty accurate. I've been sticking to making sure I burn 1000 more calories than I shove in my mouth and have lost atleast 2 lbs a week (down 7 lbs since the first of the year but had a break cvause I was sick).

There is also a pie (mmmm I hope its apple or pumpkin!) in the nutrition section of the food you have consumed that shows your breakdown of protein, fat, and cabs so you can make sure you are doing I think 60/20/20 in no order.

Its by no means the answer, but a tool to aid you. I like it for what it does and it does help me stay on track.

There are also alot of documents and articles about an array of diet things for your reading enjoyment (on your work time of course!)

I will be happy to answer any questions if I can.

From their site:

The bodybugg™ is the most accurate device on the market today for measuring calorie expenditure outside of a clinical setting.

It utilizes a patented process for interpreting calorie burn called "sensor fusion" developed by BodyMedia, Inc. This process involves collecting a range of body-data using multiple physiological sensors instead of a single sensor, which is what other calorie estimation devices such as pedometers and heart rate monitors rely on. It's this multi-sensor approach that enables bodybugg™ to "see" the wearer's context (whether they are sitting, sleeping, jogging, walking, etc.) that makes bodybugg™ such a reliably accurate device for calorie expenditure estimation.

The Physiological Sensors
Here is a list of the sensors in the bodybugg™ followed by a short description of how they contribute to energy expenditure estimation.

Accelerometer - The accelerometer in bodybugg™ is a two-axis micro-electro-mechanical sensor (MEMS) device that measures motion. This motion can be mapped to forces (g-force) exerted on the body. By taking gravity and motion into account along with the other sensor data, the wearer's body context and true level of physical exertion can be accurately predicted.
Heat Flux - The bodybugg™ also contains a proprietary heat flux sensor located on the side that measures the amount of heat being dissipated by the body via a thermally resistant material. In short, this sensor measure how much heat the wearer's body is giving off. Heat flux is an important parameter because the body tends to heat up the faster it burns calories.
Galvanic Skin Response - Better known as GSR, this sensor is comprised of two "hypo-allergenic" stainless steel electrodes on the back of the armband that measure skin conductivity. Skin conductivity is how much an electrical current can pass between two points on the surface of the skin and is affected by sweat due to physical exertion as well as emotional stimuli such as psychological stress.
Skin Temperature - Skin temperature is measured by using a highly accurate thermistor-based sensor located on the back of the bodybugg™. Looking at continuous measurement of skin temperature in conjunction with data collected from the other sensors can reveal the body's core temperature trends which are affected by the level of a person's physical exertion or lack thereof.
The data these 4 sensors collect, in conjunction with the wearer's specific body parameters (age, gender, height, weight) enable the most accurate estimation of energy expenditure on the market today outside of a clinical setting.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #4  

How neat! Sounds like a Superman version of Fitday.

I love wearing my Polar heart monitor to see how many calories i've burned in exercise - this sounds like it would be even more accurate, if the description and sensors are true and correct.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Personally - I think anything that can make eating right and being active a little more fun and game-like is a great idea. This doesn't seem to promote anything unhealthy. I'll be interested to see how they advertise it.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/137/135

Height: 5'5"

Smile

Wow, 1000 calorie deficit a day. How do you do that without starving? Do you burn a lot exercising? I have been wearing my bodybugg since last July. I started with a 500 calorie daily deficit for the first 4 months. Than the trainer I bought it from bumped my down to 250. I have revised my goal a few times because I couldn't believe I could keep losing. I haven't been at this weight since I did Medifast before I got married and had children. I didn't think it was possible for me to see the 130s and still actually be able to eat normal food. In the past, at this point I would be afraid to eat (and than feel guilty if I did). I now have permission to eat as long as I burn the calories. The hardest thing for me is during the week because I have a desk job (only 1 calorie a minute (sometimes if I'm lucky 1.1)). It makes it hard to burn my target unless I exercise everyday after work. I may like to loose a few more pounds when the weather gets warmer. Now I am trying to maintain my loss (24 lbs in 27 weeks) for awhile to see how that feels. It is a whole new challenge.

Good Luck. Keep at it. Is sounds like you are doing great. Just keep moving and journal every bite. I do wish the Apex food database was more up to date so that I didn't have to enter so many things in myself.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #6  
it's always something

This sounds like fun! I wish they offered it on installments, lol, and I'd get it
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #7  

I'm a bodybugg user! I have had it for about a year now and for some reason didn't use it "religiously" right out of the gate. I LOVE seeing how many calories I burn (and knowing that it's more accurate than most other devices out there) but I don't love logging my calories...it makes me accountable then!

Recently, I started using it full force and have required myself to come to terms with what I am eating and it's been working well. Overall, the bodybugg works well it's just that I haven't always worked well! It's a pretty neat program and it really does give me the power to make informed decisions about how many calories I can eat. I'm not terribly fond of the food menu and the way food searches work and I wish they would change that but that's my only complaint. (For example, you put in something like "tomato" and rather then listing an actual tomato first it lists like a zillion other things that have tomoto in the title...it just annoys me that I can't search easier through the food list)

Great program though!
(If you use it!)
Closed Thread