3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Shapely Secrets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/100990-shapely-secrets.html)

flagmama 01-02-2007 01:17 PM

Shapely Secrets

Does anyone know anything about this? I've done some looking on the web and can't find much.:?: There is basic info about Greer Childers, the woman who sells the plan and "invented it". What I have not been able to find is any information on the "exercises" she uses. She calls it Diametric Resistance. Of course, the infomercial shows no one exercising. And there is no demonstration of any of the exercises. Supposedly it only takes 7 minutes to work your whole body and you can do it standing up or sitting down, but you don't move. :carrot: This is the same person who sells "Body Flex", a plan that utilizes deep breathing with no impact movement for exercie.

Anyone????

TIA

Sandy

meowee 01-02-2007 02:45 PM

I've got her Body Flex DVD and like it (although I don't think I've really gotten the hang of her breathing method on there, either :dizzy: ). Didn't know whe had something else . . . I'll have to go take a look (if I can find it).

Sorry, not to be of more help. :hug:

ATSBeautiful 01-04-2007 09:07 PM

I used her Body Flex system 10 yrs ago and lost 35lbs in 3 months with no diet changes. I loved it. I'm glad I read your post....starting back tomorrow! Don't know about the new one.......Sorry. Good Luck.

Mary

westeria 01-14-2007 02:50 PM

Shaply Secrets Response

Have re-searched this also online, saw it on Infomercial yesterday and truly interested me as struggle with weight and tried so many non lasting things.
All the reviews i read with the exception of a couple were very positive so thought would try. Feel the reason not much information is given on her site is because she sells the program, if she revealed it no-one would buy, perhaps one has to sign something stating this!!!!:

If anyone has anymore info on a sure weight loss without all the Diet's and gyms let me know.

nelie 01-14-2007 08:43 PM

westeria,

I have bad news for you. Every diet pill out there says you need a proper diet and exercise for them to work which basically means the only sure fire way to lose weight is through eating right and exercising. I don't think that will ever change.

sportmom 01-14-2007 10:50 PM

The FTC actually shut Greer Childs and her organization down a few years ago for her original product. You can probably google it to find it, but I was just reading it. She is back with this latest product, after cleaning up her claims and her marketing messages to be less untruthful. According to the FTC, while you could find people who did ok on the program, there were many more people who did no changes at all. I think their issue was that she said with no sweat, no dietary changes, etc, that you could lose all this weight, which we know, just ain't gonna work for the majority of people.

Link to FTC Verdict: http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/03232...tip0323212.pdf

marbleflys 01-17-2007 05:33 PM

If anyone remembers the old "Health-Rider" commercials.........Greer Childers was the spokesperson for THAT wonderful product....she swore it was her secret to staying in shape after blahblahblah.....

I don't even think she's been renewed by the home shopping network.

ramsprt1 01-21-2007 05:22 PM

Diametric Resistance Exercises

I'm wondering why she didn't show just one example of an exercise! :?: I'm convinced that there are no easy gimmicks! It takes hard work, consistency and knowledge of what proper foods to eat and smaller portions! You have to want to do it and it really helps to have someone who loves you to help you through it and give you the encouragement to conquer it!:bravo:

eyas 01-28-2007 01:12 PM

excercise example

I picked this up on another site. Someone was asking about if they could get an example of one of the excercises. I thought you might want to take a look at it and get some idea of how it works. Commentor and others say it is like body flex without all the deep breathing.

"this is one of the exercises off the advanced shapely secrets...I much prefer that to the beginner shapely secrets...I hope I can explain this ok...this one is for your waist area...get seated in a chair...now while keeping your knees facing forward, twist your waist to the right holding on to the side arm of the chair (or I will actually twist and hold onto the back of the chair)...while twisted you suck in your stomach and tighten the ab area...but make sure you are not holding your breath...breathe normally while doing this...now hold the position of twisting at the waist and pulling in your tummy for 25 seconds...after 25 seconds relax for a couple seconds...now once again knees forward, twist at the waist to the right and hold onto the arm of the chair, pulling in your stomach and again hold that position for another 25 seconds...once you are done with that side, switch sides...knees forward, turn at the waist and twist to the left...suck in stomach and hold that position for 25 seconds...then relax for a couple seconds and repeat for that side, holding for another 25 seconds. Very simple exercise, but I tell ya my tummy area stays sore from this. I really give it my all when doing these exercises."

UltSoccerMom 02-02-2007 06:28 PM

I just started it, I figure 7 minutes why not. It has only been five days but I can definitely feel my muscles. It's basically alot of squeezing with repetition. I would like more for my abs though I guess you have to buy the other dvd's for more exercises. Unlike BodyFlex, I think, she includes suggestions for diet in her 7 ways to being thin or something like that.

Vixsin 02-04-2007 06:36 PM

I bought it. Havent decided if I'm a sucker or not yet. Tried the 7 minute thing last night. Like SoccerMom said, it's alot of squeezing your muscles. Which I'll admit after 7 minutes, my muscles were wore out. I'll give it a try tonite too. Gonna try and do it everyday. It's only 7 minutes....what the heck. I can't accept that I don't have to do anything else except that 7 minutes so I have made it part of my normal strength training routine of push ups, squats, and various other exercises. So we'll see. Anyway, wish me luck..I'll let you know how it goes.

Macmadgram 02-11-2007 12:01 PM

I watched the Shapely Secrets infomercial this morning. After viewing it, I went to the computer and looked for info on Greer Childers and found a video of one of her exercises on YouTube (although it appears to be from her Body Works program): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFuQXkXErg.

samanthaf63 02-11-2007 12:54 PM

I've got it - Shapely Secrets

I did the original Body Flex back in 1998 and dropped from a size 24 to a size 18 in about six months. Then I started up again with the new Body Flex (with the gym bar, which is supposed to be better for 35-year-olds and up, 'cos we need more weight training) and I know I'm getting smaller again - started at about a 24 and am wearing a 20 (I'm also doing other exercise programs as well).

I got the Shapely Secrets, and it's a brutal workout. It's only 7 minutes but I do not enjoy it the way I enjoy BF or pilates or yoga. Still, I belong to another Body Flex board and there are a number of women of all ages and sizes doing very well with it. I do it when I think about it, which of course won't get me anywhere.

She now seems to have an "Abdonda" program - special breathing WITH Shapely Secrets, and yes, I ordered it (I have yet to see the infomercial). I do like her products and they do work, they're just unconventional. I do not subscribe to any of her stuff about eating less meat and drinking more water and yes, I still get results. If you're dieting already, you'll do just fine with her workouts.

I'll report back as soon as I get the new stuff.

Samantha

Macmadgram 02-11-2007 01:15 PM

Shapely Secrets

Thanks, Samantha. I think I may order her Shapely Secrets package. It might be something to get me started. I don't have the time for a gym and I find weight lifting so time consuming. We'll see how it goes.
:dance:

wordfire 02-18-2007 02:32 PM

Years and years ago (and I mean YEARS) there was a craze called Isometrics. basically that is all her program is with a bit of motion . Most programs tell you to breathe right and the holding muscles is all part of the weight training bit also. This is nothing you cant put together yourself with a little fact finding and basic knowledge about different programs out there. There are NO gimics and surf the net long enough and other peeps will give you all you need to know about each one of them!!!! Isometrics actually works by squeezing the muccles just like her program. {remember how as kids we used to squeeze our arms on a door frame???} same principle. have fun and i will join you fora few Python sessions lol

samanthaf63 02-28-2007 08:27 PM

STILL waiting on the Abdonda thing!

Got to call those nimrods tomorrow - still have NOT received the Abdonda thing. I have not forgotten about this thread!

samanthaf63 03-02-2007 08:54 AM

lost 5 minutes away

I ordered the Abdonda series on February 9 and they shipped via UPS on 2/12. It arrived at the neighboring post office on 2/20 (and by neighboring, I mean it's 7 minutes down the road) and got lost going to MY post office. Supposedly, I'm receiving a replacement shipment.

I ordered the original Shapely Secrets last year and went through something similar. I like the products but the Shipping Department really sucks.

Wonder if it will ever arrive?

Thanks for the links!

WW lifer 03-07-2007 07:51 PM

So glad I found this thread. I just ordered, my MIL had hip surgery and has knee problems, but REALLY wants to exercise. I ordered the set and the advanced DVD. I planned to check it out, send her the basic kit and keep the advanced DVD. I'd like to do the advanced DVD when I travel and in my office for a little break. I hope my MIL can do it... Thanks for the feedback!!

Ready2ShedLBS 03-08-2007 02:24 PM

Kinda sounds like Pilates, where its isolating the muscle and controlled breathing.

Im going to play devils advocate here for a moment though, as much as we all would like to not have to move much to get the best of exercise, at some point everything we do on a regular basis doesnt "work" anymore and we all need a little cardio in our lives so to those who plan on doing this alone, I certainly hope you are walking at least :) Good luck with this.. I think I will try the example at work tonight since I have to sit for 8 straight hours, I should have abs of steel before too long ;)

WW lifer 03-08-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS (Post 1602870)
Kinda sounds like Pilates, where its isolating the muscle and controlled breathing.

Im going to play devils advocate here for a moment though, as much as we all would like to not have to move much to get the best of exercise, at some point everything we do on a regular basis doesnt "work" anymore and we all need a little cardio in our lives so to those who plan on doing this alone, I certainly hope you are walking at least :) Good luck with this.. I think I will try the example at work tonight since I have to sit for 8 straight hours, I should have abs of steel before too long ;)

I totally agree. I'm incorporating this into my current fitness plan (cardio and weights.) For my MIL, who isn't getting anything now, I figure this is better than nothing and hope it will help her keep her muscles from atrophying.

Ready2ShedLBS 03-09-2007 01:58 AM

Yeah I can definitely understand with your MIL, definitely is better than nothing

samanthaf63 03-12-2007 08:20 PM

The saga continues

So after the little fracas about UPS losing my order, the company re-filled it. With VHS tapes. The CSR tried to tell me that was what I ordered but I insisted (correctly and I have a copy of it) the receipt said DVD. So they are going to fill it again with the DVDs and theoretically, it will arrive within 3-5 days.

She refused to let me ship back the VHS - they're just going to ship me the correct product. So I may post these up for sale. I can't believe this has been going on since 2/9!

CaspianN0ir 03-20-2007 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samanthaf63 (Post 1608161)
So after the little fracas about UPS losing my order, the company re-filled it. With VHS tapes. The CSR tried to tell me that was what I ordered but I insisted (correctly and I have a copy of it) the receipt said DVD. So they are going to fill it again with the DVDs and theoretically, it will arrive within 3-5 days.

She refused to let me ship back the VHS - they're just going to ship me the correct product. So I may post these up for sale. I can't believe this has been going on since 2/9!

...I just read through all your posts on this topic, and that's TERRIBLE!.....
I saw the ad for Shapely Secrets the other night on TV, and ordered it last night. Hopefully I won't run into any problems with shipping. It's no fun. :(

KirstenLou 04-03-2007 01:43 AM

hello!! just trying to figure out this whole shapely secrets thing...i have been trying to lose weight like crazy, and my husband was watching the informercial and he said it sounded like something that I would enjoy but it's hard finding out information on it...i would love to know what you know :)

lorilou531 04-21-2007 09:44 AM

Shapely secrets...Not really a secret

I bought this from the infomercial. One of the best parts was the free gift. It is a really pretty CZ necklace. I have received so many compliments on it. It really looks real!! I tried the DVD for about 5 days straight, and unfortunately didn't see any results. I know that I didn't give it enough time, so I decided to try again. It's been only 4 more days and I have to say that my abs and butt feels like something is really working. I am not going to measure though b/c that made me discouraged the first time. I am excited to see if it really will make a difference in 2 weeks like the claim. It is a workout though if you really give it your all. However you can figure it out yourself after only watching the videos one time. I got the booster vitamins too. They made me jittery (thanks to the green tea, so I could only use them once a day). I don't use them now. I am trying Fucothin though. I'll keep you posted on how that works.

imredee 04-26-2007 12:57 PM

I have tried the program for 12 days. It is intense, but doesn't take long, so I can stick to it. I have already lost 3/4" in my waist, 1" in my hips and 1/2" in each thigh, 1/2" in each upper arm. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it is working for me. I was a total skeptic when I ordered, but I am pleasantly surprised with the results. The exercise example posted by "eyas" is not on my video. I'm not sure where that came from.

Basically, you stand still and working muscle against muscle. You work your abs and upperarms and back of the arms holding for 25 seconds in 8 different positions.

The lower body work out is difficult to explain, but you definitely feel it working.

There is one minute dedicated to the facial muscles.

I would highly recommend trying it.

lorilou531 04-27-2007 07:36 AM

Shapely secrets

Well, it's been over a week and no change. It feels like it is working when you are doing the exercises, but I am exactly the same measurements as before I started. I am a little discouraged too b/c I have gained instead of losing. I am going to keep trying though!!

SherBear29 05-03-2007 01:42 PM

:carrot:

My best friend bought it to go along with our other weight program, and as we sat down to watch it, we were amazed at how little work Greer actually did! I looked at my friend and said, "This is what you got for $40.00?? I tried it a couple of times and quit. She's been doing it for 2 weeks and she says she is feeling soreness. It's just hard to believe that you can lose all of this weight that Greer claims by doing these pretty basic exercises by standing still.

Good Luck to everybody else who tries it! You may have better luck than me!

kanikaks 05-05-2007 09:42 AM

Hi,
I recenlty saw your message , thus wanted to know how good is this shapely secret program. I have tried so many pills and programs but nothing worked . I dont want to spend anything without seeing a change in myself . Thus could you please help me out and let me know any one or two exercises for thigs and hips so that i can try it out and see whether it really works for me or not . If it does then i will buy it too...

Would appreciate if you could me to try this out..

Thanks and regards,
KS

nelie 05-05-2007 09:47 AM

Kanikaks,

Honestly, for the best hip and thigh exercises, you don't need to buy anything. Lunges and squats are awesome for the hips and thighs. I even have bad knees and I do them but not deeply. I'd recommend looking up lunge and squat technique and doing those to help shape your bottom.

lttlbttybttgrtbggt 05-06-2007 07:52 PM

Shapely Secrets

I want to lose about 15 to 20 lbs. I bought the shapely secrets DVD pakage. I lost 6 inches total and 3 lbs. in 2 weeks. I lost 2 inches on my waist, 2 inches on my hips, 3/4 inch in my arm and 1/2 inch on the thigh. At first I lost an inch on the the thigh and then gained a 1/2 inch back. I think it is muscle though. Greer states the idea is to lose inches not pounds. The isometrics do cause the body to burn fat. Also, drinking the extra water helps too. I did not get a smaller size but my clothes were too tight and now fit better. I measured every 2 days and watched the size going down. It was amazing. I feel stronger and my body did change shape even though I only lost 3 lbs. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'm stickng with it. It's just too easy!:carrot:

tyciol 05-07-2007 09:18 AM

The reason you can't show the exercise is because there's no movement involved, they call it 'motionless exercise'. It is isometric contraction of agonist and antagonists of one or more joints. It is best served by highlighted anatomy charts and visualization. It is much easier to do if you have a history of doing real movements so you know where to feel each muscle.

Unfortunately, Shape Secret's 'diametric resistance' (I've not heard the term outside of this product, though bodybuilders do it to flex on stage...) suffers from a lack of the ability to measure how hard you are contracting. Programs reliant upon intuition and perceived exertion are usually destined to failure, scientific programs have consistant measureable weights so you can measure and be sure you are contracting a consistant amount.

Flexing's fun to do and can be done after other exercise but isn't a good core for a program. It's okay to do when waiting for a bus or something though, as unlike dropping to the ground and doing pushups it won't freak people out so much. It also doesn't really enhance your athletic abilities as it essentially trains you to waste force. Exerting force on external objects requires the contraction of agonists and relaxation of antagonist so the former can shorten and the latter can lengthen. Training both to move at once doesn't really help, even though it can strengthen the tissues and in some cases stabilize joints.

Ready2ShedLBS 05-08-2007 09:23 PM

I saw the infomerical on this today, and it kinda mad me a little angry just because I really feel like its the biggest hunk of junk ive ever seen. Thats just my personal opinion. I am sitting here debating on should I order Hip Hop Abs, will it work? Then I see this and people are compelled to buy it.

*Im not trying to knock anyone in this thread who did buy it, but if you arent medically incapacitated, just get up a move for crying out loud*

Soullore 05-19-2007 08:39 AM

The basis for this system is simple isometrics, with variant positioning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_exercise has the basics. Otherwise, all this program is, is common sense.

Save yourself the cost of the program and buy an exercise book on isometrics for about 20 bucks. Also talk to your GP to ensure its the best thing for your specific body, and that you won't have any negative side effects. That way you can be informed about what you are doing, its risks and benefits, its short comings, and you can tailor any exercises to meet your specific needs.

girl81 05-20-2007 10:03 PM

I didn't read all the replies...
I just wanted to say that i did Body flex and lost about 15lbs while doing so about 8 years ago. I personally liked it.

mvlara 05-26-2007 11:57 AM

What ever happened?

Quote:

Originally Posted by samanthaf63 (Post 1608161)

Hi Samantha:
So what ever happened w/ the shipment of the dvds? Did you get them? How was the program? If it was good, are you still selling the tapes?
Thanks!:woops:

skater princess 05-27-2007 08:57 PM

I want to warn you all also, that I got the DVDs about two months ago and last month, they started shipping me extra of those fat burning pills in the kit and charging my credit card. I contacted customer service through email, and they emailed back saying I had to call customer service in person to get it taken off.

Anyways, after answering a bunch of questions, I got my money back for the pills they sent me.

As for the program, I have exercised for a long time and consider myself to be in pretty good shape ( but need to lose some weight :)) I just did not take to these DVDs. Boring, even if it was seven minutes. I say, save your m oney or buy an isometric book like the others said.

ashakari 05-28-2007 03:21 PM

I received mine Friday, 5/25. I love it and I do her Body Flex too. YES you are automatically on autoship for the supplements, but it tells you that right on her website when you order them and get the advanced dvd free. I have no intention of continuing the autoship, I will be cancelling it when I receive the Advanced DVD. I do however, like Miracle Burn, it is awesome! I like Shapely Secrets, but it is definately over priced, in my opinion. It was an into offer of $19.99 initially and I'd like to have seen it stay that way. If I had known about it then, I'd have gotten it then, oh well, LOL. I paid full price, but I'm pleased with it so far. However, my mom has been doing that all her life; In 14 days I will note the results. I'm also on an awesome weight loss regimen and I've lost close to 40lbs since March 5 (would've lost more inches if I'd been exercising, waa waa) so I'm truly on a mission. I should reach my goal of 62 more lbs by end of summer...in time for the holiday parties, hee hee!

auroraw 06-03-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashakari (Post 1711024)
I received mine Friday, 5/25. I love it and I do her Body Flex too. YES you are automatically on autoship for the supplements, but it tells you that right on her website when you order them and get the advanced dvd free. I have no intention of continuing the autoship, I will be cancelling it when I receive the Advanced DVD. I do however, like Miracle Burn, it is awesome! I like Shapely Secrets, but it is definately over priced, in my opinion. It was an into offer of $19.99 initially and I'd like to have seen it stay that way. If I had known about it then, I'd have gotten it then, oh well, LOL. I paid full price, but I'm pleased with it so far. However, my mom has been doing that all her life; In 14 days I will note the results. I'm also on an awesome weight loss regimen and I've lost close to 40lbs since March 5 (would've lost more inches if I'd been exercising, waa waa) so I'm truly on a mission. I should reach my goal of 62 more lbs by end of summer...in time for the holiday parties, hee hee!

What diet have you been doing where you've lost 40lbs? That's so great and that's the kind of pace I want. Any tips would be appreciated. I haven't ordered Shapely Secrets yet but after this this, I'm very close to just getting it!

ttaybron2004 06-07-2007 10:00 AM

I've been ready all the and I wanted to ask UltSoccerMom and Vixsin or anybody else who has ACTUALLY USED it if they've had any luck with the program. I am seriously debating getting it.