Hypnosis

• Hypnosis for weight loss, does it really work??? I would love to hear your stories!!
  • I have a weight loss hypnosis dvd that I keep forgetting about. I will start doing it again but want to lurk on this thread to see what others say
  • Bumping this thread because I had the same question. Seems like receiving powerful suggestions regarding eating & exercise habits, as well as general self esteem could be a worthwhile tool. I'm surprised no one here has tried it...
  • Don't we receive powerful suggestions every time we turn on the television or open a magazine or walk out our front doors? And yet we're on 3FC.
  • Hypnosis - we'll see!
    Hi! Well, back in the early 80's I went to a licensed hypnotherapist for about 3 months (until I could no longer afford it!). His suggestions were not the wierd kind like my favorite foods would look wormy or taste horrible, etc., they were more for redirecting my habits and desires.

It really did work for me - I would be watching t.v. in the evening and have a chocolate craving and be heading for the kitchen, but then somehow I'd end up in my bedroom reorganizing my sock drawer! It was so strange! Also, helped me with healthier eating by saying fruits and vegetables would be extremely appetizing to me. I lost about 20 pounds with him.

Anyway, I have just received the new set of hypnosis c.d.'s by Rena Greenberg. I'll let you know if they work or not. She's been leading classes in hospitals and seminars in Florida for a lot of years and now offers a home course. I read about her in a magazine and looked her up on the internet.

That's all I know about that!

Take care,
    Elaine
  • I've been using hypnosis
    I felt like there had to be a mental component to this whole diet/binge, fight with food that I have my whole life. More than just losing weight I want to have a healthy relationship with food and I think I have done really well using hypnosis - my hypnotherapist and the tapes she gives me seem to make a real difference in my eating patterns. I don't get on the scale alot (it just makes me obsess), but at last count it has been about 25 lbs. since october. A word of advice though, find an independant therapist - a hypno center will charge a fortune. good luck
  • When I was in college (bachelor's and master's in psychology) I took several "cognitive therapy" classes that included progressive relaxation and hypnosis. The "deep" hypnosis that involves suggestions regarding not remembering the content of the sessions, etc. are not really a part of "normal" hypnosis. One session hypnosis, is also pretty much useless.

Hypnosis, can be pretty effective if done regularly (which is why legitimate hypnotherapists will give you a tape, and/or want you to come back for future sessions). Self-hypnosis is easy to learn, and can also be effective, but since hypnosis is a "mental exercise," it's very much like physical exercise, "finding the time," and "getting into the habit", are the hardest part.
    Also, effects are generally going to be mild, not dramatic, especially at first, and you can definitely "outwit," the hypnosis without much effort, so it's definitely a tool, not a cure.
  • Quote: Don't we receive powerful suggestions every time we turn on the television or open a magazine or walk out our front doors? And yet we're on 3FC.
    Which is exactly why positive powerful suggestions would probably be a good thing, no?

Unless you'd rather just watch McDonalds commercials and lay around on the couch?
  • does anyone know how to go about finding a good therapist in jersey? or does anyone happen to know a good one in jersey!?