Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #1  
faylene

Default new to diabetes

good morning everyone
my name is faylene and i was just diognoised with diabeties and really confused about how to eat. everything im getting from the dr seems so complecated. can anyone tell me where i can find some free menue ideas that are easy....im not much of a cook. i dont need insulin yet and the dr says if i can get my wieght down i shouldnt. im 5ft and wi at 183!! i need all the help i can get this is really very over whelming for me i hope someone can help me thanks to all for just listening
faylene
mamma04930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #2  

Hi there, Faylene! There is a sub forum for diabetics you might find helpful. Here is the link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203

There are a number of good diets that will work to help control diabetes. I am a diabetic, and follow Sugarbusters. If you pay attention to the glycemic index of foods- this is the amount of sugar it puts into the blood- it helps. The most important thing, in my opinion, is exercise. Just a leisurely walk for 30 minutes will lower your blood sugar dramatically. Check out our diabetes forum and if you have any questions, please let me know. I am the moderator for it. There is a list of helpful books and some good websites as well. I like the One Touch web site, where you can log fitness, as well as meals. It has a menu planning feature as well, but I am not keen on it because it follows the ADA guidelines, which are not ideal for me. The rule of thumb I have heard and follow is about 30 grams of carbs per meal. I combine that with Sugarbusters, and it is working for me.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

hi, I've been a diabetic for 15 years and it sucks! you have a chance to avoid going on insuline then do what ever it takes, I didn't have that chance because I needed a lot of insuline and I got sick and gained a lot of weight, I recently had my leg amputated due to a infection ( slow healing ). I just joined looking for support in hoping I can lose the weight I gained and start walking again. Calla local hospital they have great menus and idears for you to follow. Once you loose the weight your diabetes will be a snap to control. good luck and remember carbs like bread, potaoes, and juices really cause you sugar to rise. Good luck.
shoots-alot is offline   Reply With Quote