3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   Recently found out I have a defience of triiodothyronine? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/88662-recently-found-out-i-have-defience-triiodothyronine.html)

DairyQueen 07-07-2006 09:38 AM

Recently found out I have a defience of triiodothyronine?

I recently found out my thryoid isn't producing nearly enough triiodothyronine, also known as T3. Does anyone know anything about this? What are the effects and how does this effect my metabolism?

katiesmom710 07-07-2006 11:56 AM

If I understand correctly, it decreases your metabolism. Also makes you feel tired and run down. Did your Dr. start you on Synthroid? Usually, that makes you feel better!

DairyQueen 07-07-2006 02:09 PM

I'm going to start soon on a pill thats supposed to bring my levels slowly up to normal I guess. Will I have a normal metabolism after that?

Misti in Seattle 07-08-2006 01:05 AM

Well this is a subject I am very familiar with, having had a thyroid tumor removed a while back. This is definitely something you need to be having monitored by your doctor... but yes, hypothroidism slows down your metabolism, makes you extremely tired, panicky, etc. Personally speaking I can say that once my meds got adjusted right (a doctor will generally change your doses and monitor it until test show it is right) I felt SO much better and am able to lose weight again.

One caution... you will read a LOT of controversial stuff on the Internet about this... especially people running down some of the meds... in fact the one I take quite successfully. Listen to your DOCTOR.

katiesmom710 07-10-2006 12:35 PM

Yep, I agree with Misti. You have to go in for followup lab work so you are therapeutic. Too low, you con't. to feel bad and too high, it can cause palpitations and other fun stuff. Yes, you can get regulated and FEEL GOOD!

Ellen 07-11-2006 01:04 PM

Taking a thyroid med will not magically restore your metabolism to normal, or necessarily help you lose weight. I have been on a T4 med, AND a special forumlary of T3 for years. I FEEL better, but my metabolism is still out of whack. Losing weight has been almost impossible for me for a long time. ( I was recently diagnosed as a diabetic, as well, and a new med on the market for that is helping more than thyroid meds did. ) Its a good thing to have a doctor you can trust, but it also helps to research the issues yourself, so you understand what is wrong and how you are being treated. An informed patient gets better care. You can find recommended doctors at the thyroid pages on about.com. They are reader recommendations, which is helpful.

QuilterInVA 07-11-2006 03:29 PM

Well, I am hypo and find that South Beach has let me successfully lose weight. I am also insuling resistant. I also walk 30 minutes a day 7 days a week. Works great. Medication alone will not cause the weight loss.

Ellen 07-13-2006 10:17 AM

I second that on the exercise.... I walk a lot too.