Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #16  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody..We finally got some much needed rain.. Some areas are getting more. The wind will bring in a lot of water from the gulf tonight. I am high so no worry for me.I just hope I can get out tomorrow. I have a hair appointment.The bayous may be over the roads. There is one on each end of the road where I live.
I read the book(DaVinci Code) a couple years ago. I don't really care if I see the movie or not. I sure won't pay to see it. My G/son has a collection of just about every new movie. If he gets it I may see it.I am aware it is fiction. So there is not much opinion. I think it was a sad subject to make into a book/movie.I don't think they made the money that was hoped for.
Reading is one of my passions. Sewing,quilting, crochet,and most hand crafts are the other.I will never give them up. My G/mother took me to the library when I was 11 years old. I never gave up the love of it. I started sewing at about the same age and was making my own clothes a couple years later.Along with the other hand work.
Keep Well everybody...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #17  

Joanne, I was just thinking of you with the storm heading that way. Take care.
I enjoy reading also. Sewing is another story. I'm lucky I can thread a needle. lol
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 AM   #18  

Good morning. Last night's talk was on the fallacies of the DaVinci code-haven't read it and am not seeing the movie so I would rather have heard something more spiritual. But the end of the service was good and great music, I took care of Debbie from 2-6:30 and that was 2 and a half hours too long, I ended up getting mad at Brad after church because I used up all my patience on her. I was upset with him because all he does at church is talk to everyone about air-conditioning , not other things. And then I had to wait in the car while he talked to someone else. He said he didn't know I was there. We never stay mad for long though. But I am tired today and he wants me to take a ride with him so he can talk to someone about a job. They think he goes around and does work for everyone free. NOT Just his church. It seems I have gotten to the point where I can;t do the things I used to but I try to keep up with everyone. Between my stomache and fibr I have to give in. I read a good page today that says when you are older it's not about doing but about being.
But we are going to lunch with friends.
Glad you got some rain Joanne.
My mother taught me to sew but my clothes always looked homemade. But I make cute kids clothes. And I can knit well-no crocheting!!! Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #19  

I'm going to read the DaVinci Code. I have it with my things to take on vacation. I love music! Sometimes I go to our 2nd service at church because I like to hear the more modern songs. Not about doing but about being - I like that. I believe that I am a better person now since I've been diagnosed with Fibro because I think I understand people better. Maybe I've just been doing more Bible study since I'm not up to doing things like I used to. My cousin and I decided that we were going to make long flannel nightgowns when we were in 9th grade. Oh my word. Neither one of us really knew how to sew. We had a semester of home ec, so we thought we knew everything. We were cutting out pieces and she cut the carpet in her bedroom. What a zoo! We never did anything else. Our moms helped us finish the gowns.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #20  

That's a good one, Tammy. Angela is not going to have a car anymore so we have to pick her up-2 car seats and me in a small space, Not getting enough sleep at night because we get home late -took 2 naps yesterday. Suzanne and her new boyfriend are coming to dinner tonight, Oh look-it;s only 5:42/ almost time to go back to bed. Mima
Old 06-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #21  

Default Hey There

We got 3 1/2 In. of rain.. More will be welcome..my sister hates rainy weather. I love it.. I can sit back and do my own things or nothing at all. My IBS is saying hello since yesterday..
Fathers Day will be at my house this time.. He started naming all the things he wanted me to cook. I finally said. This isn't Golden Corral..One of the things to cook was greek garlic potatoes. Now mind you he wants fire to come out of his nose when he eats them.Most people can't eat them. And it reeks from the body for a week!!!Sure cleans the pipes.
Tammy- Pretty Good. I cut the table cloth once. I have a board I lay down now. I used to cut everything on the floor. It was easier to lay the pattern. I can't get down there now.
The pants I bought are too big. I guess I needed a 10. I will fix them. I rather things be lose anyhow.It is just the waist and hem. I can't take them back as they were on sale.
Mima- Maybe you need a little something to help you sleep.. Ofcourse ,I should talk. I take a pm med plus Sleepy time tea ,darvocet, and still am awake every hour or so.No wonder I have a headache every morning...
Meme- How are you? You have been quiet lately...
Hello Happy, Candice....Joanne
Old 06-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #22  

It was me that read Ted Dekker books ... still do. Before you read 'Martyr's Song', you should have read: 'Heaven's Wager', 'When Heaven Weeps' and 'Thunder of Heaven' ... in that order. They are sequels. They are actually written out of order ... he wrote 'Heaven's Wager' first, then went back and wrote 'When Heaven Weeps' to explain the beginning of 'Heaven's Wager' but that's the order they were written in. 'Martyr's Song' was the last one. If you want to read what I think was his best book so far, read 'Blink'! Then read: 'Black', 'Red' and 'White'! Those three were awesome! Right now I'm reading Mary Higgins Clark's 'Two Little Girls In Blue'. I just finished Angela Hunt's 'The Novelist.' Tammy, you would really like that one. Angela is a Christian author, too. She has just come out with a new book I'm going to get next ... 'Uncharted.'

Last week my modem blew up in hubby's hand. Had to go to the cable office and get a new one Monday. Then, yesterday, I took one of the pills the Dr. gave me and it made me sick. Was sick all night last night. I told him and hubby both they were too strong but they said just try it. Against my better judgement I did. I'll never listen to them again. I know what I can take and what I can't! I've tried those before and I knew how they worked. I can get by with taking one Aleve if it is coated and I can even wait two or three hours and take another, but to take a full strength Naproxen is out of the question for me ... it always makes me sick. I was doubled over with stomach cramps all night and today I have an awful headache. These were supposed to be time released ... that's the only reason I tried them. Still made me sick.

I think if my Dr. told me I'd just have to live with something I'd be getting me a second opinion unless I had already tried everything else and had not been able to find anything that would help. And that doesn't sound like the case with you guys. Sounds like your Dr. is not very concerned with trying to help you live a better quality of life. Just because you are in your 60s or 70s doesn't mean you are ready to throw in the towel. A lot of people live to be 90 or even 100. So does that mean you have to live in misery for the next 30 years ... I don't think so. I'd explain that to him if it were me. Just tell him you are planning to live another 20 or 30 years and you are hoping to increase the quality of your life ... not decrease it! Ask him if he is onboard to help with your plans or should you find a doctor who is. I had the same problem with a doctor once ... Dr. Lanier. He evidently thought because I had fibro and Arthritis he didn't need to fool around with me much. He hadn't been doing much for me and had been mostly ignoring me. I set him straight. I called in for some meds and he didn't respond. Wouldn't call back, etc. I went in to the office and asked to see him. When they took me back I told him he was either going to be my doctor and take care of me when I needed him or not. I said he could refill my prescriptions when they ran out or I could find a doctor who would. I told him it was simply a refill of a med that he had prescibed that I needed and that there was no need for me to make a trip all the way up there for that when he could have called it in. I told him either he started taking care of me or I'd find another doctor who would. I asserted myself to him and never did have any more problems with him. I get tired of playing around with these doctors. It's my health, my body and I'm paying them. Yet they act like it's the other way around sometimes. Doesn't make sense to me! So ... sometimes, I just tell them, no ... that's not how it's going down. Sorry to burst your bubble son!
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:18 AM   #23  

You go girl!! Naproxen gave Brad an ulcer-and my rheumo prescribed it. I take 2 meds to sleep-can't take any more. If I walked during the day, I would sleep better. It's raining again but will stop/ 89 on Sunday. Brad is trying to get the air going at church. He has 3 more holes to cut in the sanctuary.
Revival last night, It was about believing in universalism -actually not believing in it. Petty heavy .
We picked up Angela and the 2 kids-because she doesn't have her own car anymore. I squeezed in the back between 2 car seats-it's a space about a foot wide-she is bigger so she sat in the front. But it worked-Debbie loves going to nursery!!!
They didn't have the Dekker books at the library. I just finished the Mary Higgins Clark book-it was great. And the a James Patterson but they tend to be a little risque-I just like the mystery part, I love mysteries. Hi all Mima
Old 06-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #24  

Joanne, the garlic potatoes sound good! There is a restaurant near here that has the most delicious house dressing with loads of garlic. Bob doesn't eat it, but he says that he always knows when I have been there because I glow in the dark. lol

Meme, I read Blink, Three, and the colors. I enjoyed them all. In the front of the Martyr's Song is a letter from Dekker. He says that there is really no order to the books. They can be read in any sequence. He recommends reading this one first. He says it came out last but it started it all. I just added the Angela Hunt books to my list of things to read.

I agree about getting 2nd opinions from doctors if you arent' satisfied.

I like James Patterson books too. There is another Patterson that has some good ones, but I can't remember his first name.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:21 AM   #25  

I still haven't read Martyr's Song ... Patterson is awesome. I have read every single one of Alex Cross and all the Women's Murder Club Mystery's. Sounds like we all have about the same taste in reading. I've been working on the church website for the last 2 days. Finally finished it tonight. It looks really good if I do say so myself. The preacher's wife wanted mountains (because she said we are in the mountains). That was hard to do as they are kind-of a 'busy' background. I'm just glad it is all done. I especially like the Kid's Korner pages. We just finished VBS and I got some good pictures ... we have some cute little ones. They didn't advertise or anything ... just had Fri. night and Sat. for the church kids mainly and I think they wound up with 27 ages 4-12 and 20 helpers. That's pretty good for the first year.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:19 AM   #26  

Good morning. I guess we do have the same tastes. What about you, Joanne? Last night's talk was on sin but not heavy. Tonight we will meet in a tent!! And Sunday, Brad is trying to get their air done because it's going to be hot this weekend. He has help today. Angela said she wants to go to work and is looking for a babysitter. I quickly said don't look at me. Went through that with Mike last year. Jill works at the Y and Evan gets free babysitting. Keith smiled at me last night: Debbie gets jealous when I talk to him.
Started painting the trim on the house-not many places need it-rest is siding. I will take it slow,
I will try to get Dekker books from regional library. Mima
Old 06-16-2006, 10:22 AM   #27  

Good morning.

Mima - I read where your stomach is feeling better. I am glad that the meds help.

Joanne - Hooray! you finally got rain. I'll bet you were out dancing in the street I wish I could send some rain to somebody! It has been raining all week, and SHOULD start to clear off tomorrow.

Tammy - so, how are holidays? No more school and not many months left until you are really finished.

Meme - hope you feel better. Too bad about your computer, but that does happen.

I love to read as well, and read the same books as the rest of you. Love the Alex Delaware books. There is James Patterson, and James NORTH Patterson. I haven't read the Davinci Code, but did read Angels and Demons and that was a really good mystery. I have the Davinci Code, just need to get into it. Also, the book called Decpetion Point, written by Dan Brown was really good.

I finished work a week ago and we went on a holiday. Went out to the west coast and visited some friends and then stopped in the Interior of British Columbia. This is one of the most beautiful spots. To get into British Columbia, from Alberta, you have to go through the Rocky Mountians and they are beautiful everytime. Every corner is a postcard picture.

Hope you are all feeling well today and will have a nice day.

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 06-16-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #28  

Had to sit a minute and cool off. It's so hot out. Been out with customers ... good news is I sold one of them a $800 trailer so at least I wasn't out there for nothing!

I was supposed to start my vacation today. Hubby is supposed to take off from work all next week, from today until a week from Monday. We have planned to get a lot of stuff done around here that we've been putting off 'till another day (that day has crept up on us) and maybe go fishing a day or two. We even talked about, if we got along good on our chores, going away next weekend for a night or two ... we'll have 9 days. I already cancelled all my lessons next week. But now we may not do any of that. There is a chance of thunderstorms every single day next week plus the owner's wife of the shop where he works is not expected to live and on top of that one of hubby's top guys that works for him is extreemly ill and out of work. He may not be able to leave and even if he does we may not be able to do any outside work if he's home because of the rain. So I'm bummed. I guess if he doesn't take off I'll just stay home and clean closets and paint. Some vacation. Boo-Hoo.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #29  

Don't give up -just on this week. life is what happens while you are making other plans-sure hope you get to go after that. We are going for 4 days out to western MA and going on a train ride-it's only open on the weekend. So I am going to the mountains too. Gotta use our camper since we paid to insure it. We take trips that use a tank of gas one way. Of course, there is the dog.
We met in a tent last night and the topic was what happens after we die. Very interesting and uplifting for believers. And great music!
Have to go shopping alone today while Brad finishes air at church. And then installs a water heater for someone. It's going to be 90 tomorrow.
Father's day I will make hamburgers for Brett, Angela, Debbie, not for Keith-he doesn't like them. He is so beautiful. Even Brad says so. And Suzanne who I would love to come to church with us. Tomorrow is last night. Mima
Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #30  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody... I don't usually read male writers. I don't like their style of writing. I rather read a book that flows well with a story. I don't want my train of thought to jump around to a dozen subjects.Over a month ago I read 'Singing River Story' by Laura Hicks Burge. She has a CD out too. She writes music too along with her husband.It was very good. It turns out that she lives a few miles from me. I met her last evening where they were playing. She is a new writer. She told me that her books will soon be in Barns and Nobles and Books a Million.
I will be cooking tomorrow. I am making it easy on myself. Some of the cooking I will do today and grill out tomorrow.
I hope everyone has a Great Weekend....Joanne