Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #1  
Committed to good health.

S/C/G: 314/250/150

Height: 5 ft

Unhappy Fibro, T2 (under control), newbie over 50

I just signed up. I'm 55, female, and currently weigh 314. I am 5 feet tall.

I am going to Borders this morning to pick up the Glycemic Index book by Rick Gallop.

Is anyone following the GI diet?

I have fibromyalgia, so I'm looking to figure out some way to get exercise in on a daily basis ... but don't want to exercise one day and spend three days recovering from it. Any help in this area will be greatly appreciated.

I HAD Type 2 Diabetes until I got it under control (but only lost 20 pounds doing it). My doctor took me off medication last Wednesday.

I had PCOS. That was resolved when I was 23 ... total hysterectomy.

I only have one kidney (born that way), so I only have one adrenaline gland (makes having normal energy impossible).

I have no pictures. Heck, the only mirrors in the house are in the bathroom (it helps me avoid seeing anything from the neck down). I have a web cam and I'm going to see if I can figure out how to use it to take still pics so I can have a basis for comparison. Is it possible to get still pics from it?

I need help. I don't want to die before I've had a chance to be happy.
Matrishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #2  

Hi. Welcome to 3 Fat Chicks.

Don't have much to add 0ther than, I also have FM and OA and excersing can be a real challenge. Do it for a day or two and then are laid up for a few weeks. I try to walk. That is the easiest, but sometimes, due to total fatigue, even that is not possible. Good going on the loss of 20 pounds. Every little bit helps.

If you would like to join us on the Fibromyalgia thread #157 I believe, please do.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #3  

That is wonderful that you are able to go off medication for diabetes! You should be proud of that progress. I have Lupus and I find water aerobics is a great way to get in exercise that is gentle on my joints, but burns some calories. Just take baby steps in getting into an exercise program. For comparisons, you could pick a piece of clothing, or a belt, and see how it goes from fitting, to being too big. Its a good visual. You can also just take measurements once a month. A lot of folks find the loss of inches just as inspiring as the loss of pounds on the scale.

I don't use the GI diet, but follow Sugarbusters which is based on the GI. I really like the simplicity of it, and have followed it for a number of years. I have metabolic syndrome, and I am diabetic, so losing weight has been awfully hard.

I hope you find the support you need here.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #4  
Committed to good health.

S/C/G: 314/250/150

Height: 5 ft

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I found a DVD today that I am going to try. Since I am unable to walk without a cane, walking right now is pretty much a no-go. I'm going to see if I can find a pool somewhere that might have an exercise program for people like me (with fibro).

The DVD is by Jodi Stolove. It's Chair Dancing. Seriously! She has about 6 different types: chair dancing, chair yoga, chair dancing around the world, and so on. I'll be scouring the internet for the best price tonight.

I think this will be great for me! I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, losing weight will help me cope better with the Fibro. I know it will never go away (I don't care what anyone says, I've read all the books, there is no cure ... but I want to be able to live better).

I have soooooooooooooo much weight to lose. BUT, being able to get off the diabetes medication has done wonders for my soul!

...peace
Matrishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #5  
Mel

Hi there

I'm almost 52 and have fibro also. I think a way of eating based on the glycemic index would be a great start for you. I lost 60 pounds on a diet initially based on SugarBusters, and have continued to eat that way for the last 5 years, except have added more protein and broken my food into 5 meals. I do a LOT of exercise and find that it keeps my pain levels down. When I take a break for more than a few days, I really hurt.

The same goes for food. When I eliminated added sugars and white flour (OK, almost all wheat products) from my daily nutrition, my fibro flares decreased significantly. I had a lot more energy, and felt so much better that the payoff for eating this way was far greater than just weightloss. I'm sure the weightloss helped too

You might try looking for the "Sit and Be Fit" DVD series. I'm a personal trainer and I use a lot of the exercises from those DVDs for my deconditioned or injured clients.

Glad to have you here!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote