Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #1  

Question I need to help my Mom!

Hi there, I wondered if anyone here can help me with a problem my mom has.

My Mom has severe asthma. She's always suffered with the problem since she was a child. Consequently, she has had many years on and off of steroids, with the obvious problem - weight gain.

Now my Mom wants to lose this weight but a health professional once told her that the years on steroids not only has damaged her body, but her metabolism, causing extra problems, when she wants to lose weight.

I'm not convinced that this can be true. She has no thyroid problems, she was tested for that quite recently. She is unable to exercise much because of the asthma. Does anyone out there think that she should be able to lose weight if she really puts her mind to it?

She is coming to my WW meeting tonight. When she tried it in the past she said that she paid £4 per meeting and would gain 4pounds in weight. I've told her she needs to try it and see. But what do you think?

Any advice gratefully received. I want to see my Mom happy, slimmer and healthier. Thanks.
dawnydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 AM   #2  

Hi Dawny,

I also took steroids for quite awhile. Not for asthma, but for back problems. While I was on the streroids I wasn't able to lose weight at all, in fact, I kept gaining, no matter how much I dieted. You didn't say if your mom is still on the steroids.

After I finally got off of them, I still couldn't lose for quite awhile. I think they stay in your system awhile. It took several months (6-7 I think), but, then the weight started leaving....with a diet. I also couldn't exercise. She will need to drink LOTS of water. If she's off the steroids, have her drinking the water now, even if she's not losing yet. It will help flush them out. Water is good, anyway, for losing weight.

I was put back on steroids for a short time recently, & gained quite a few lbs back. Since it was a short time, though, I'm already losing........slowly, but losing. Encourage her that it IS possible. Drs. & nurses mean well........but, those of us who experience it, have found ways, because we're determined. I wish you & your mom the best of luck. Hope I helped.

*You've done great with your weight loss!

Last edited by Angel-lover; 02-18-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #3  

Thanks for your reply Charlotte, I do keep pushing the water issue on her, hopefully not too much! Her steroid intake is intermitent now, although it was constant for virtually 20 or so years. They may well never be totally out of her system and have wrecked many parts of her body already, but we will try and get somewhere.
Wish us luck!
dawnydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #4  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Dawnydw!

Hey there! I am on steroids right now and losing weight- IT IS POSSIBLE! here is a book that I recomend you purchas for your mom. its call "coping with prednisone..." by Eugine Zuckerman! I found this very helpful!!!

Good luck
Fitgal2
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote