Blood Sugar Level Confusion

• I am a type II diabetic on metformin. My bloodsugar is usually around 103 in the morning. Recently I went to my church bazaar. It's once a year and lots of homemade desserts. During the day I ate a prune kolache, a piece of chocolate pie, and a small piece of poppy seed cake. The next morning I was nervous about what the effect would be on my blood sugar, but it was 83! How does that happen? I am so confused. Anybody have a clue?
  • Well I'm not sure if it works the same with diabetics as it does hypoglycemics, but my doc. told me that when you eat high sugar foods you're body will metabolize them fairly qiuckly, give you a sugar rush and then your sugar will bottom out (drop really low) because it used the sugars as a quick burst of energy and once they're gone your body is still looking for more so it starts taking sugars from other other sources to try to keep the rush up. Like I said I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) so I'm not sure if it would work the same for a diabetic but I think it does.
  • that makes sense...thanks