Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #1  

Default Hypothyroid and Can't lose weight

I had half of my thyroid removed in Feb. 2005. I gained 5 pounds right after the surgery. Now I want to loose that weight plus more , but nothing will work. I am Synthyroid now. Do you have any ideas what to do? I am thinking about joining WW, what do you think? I was a member two years ago, but I just do not know if they have anything new that would help me out. I am soooo frustrated and do not want to give up.
susanandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:40 AM   #2  
Movin on down the scale

I didnt have mine removed, but I am on synthroid for it. It is very hard to lose weight with hypo. Try getting your metabolic fingerprint taken to see where you stand for calories burned in a day, that is what I had to do to get me to a safe/effective calorie intake to be able to loose...and I am now close to 35lbs in just over 3 mo. So try that first, you can do a google search on it and put in your zip code then it will tell you where the closest place to you is. That made a HUGE difference to me, since all the online RMR calculators estimated me being well over 1600 calories per day, but when I was tested it was only 1100. That is a big difference to someone trying to lose weight. Good luck
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #3  
banned

hey susan.
i know how you feel. im borderline and have a goiter in there. i joined ww back in june and am down 45 1/4 lbs so give it a try! pm me if u wanna buddy up. also:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68106
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #4  

I had my thyroid "destroyed" 20 yrs ago with the radioactive iodine treatment for Hyperthyroidism. Now I take daily thyroid replacement to make up for what my thyroid can't make on it's own.
When you are in the first year of treatment, it really is a balancing act with finding the correct dosage of hormone for you and that can only be determined by looking at the results of the blood tests. Now, I get checked annually, or if I have lost/gained a significant amount of weight.
There are symptoms to watch for, as well, to indicate if your thyroid is running low/high. Consult your doctor and learn the symptoms to watch for. Also, know that any regular exercise and healthy nutrition is always good for a person. You will feel better, even if the weight doesn't automatically drop back off. I asked my doctor, once I was within the "normal" limits according to my bloodtest, if there were any limitations re: diet and exercise and he said just eat a healthy diet. I have noticed on medication literature that soy products are known to limit the efficacy of the hormone medication. So, ask the pharmacist if/when soy products can be eaten to avoid a problem. I changed taking my med at bedtime because I enjoy a soymilk smoothie for breakfast a couple of times per week.
Sorry this is so long, but I've been through it and just thought the info would help.
Take care of yourself.
maggie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #5  

WW Core has worked for me on the recommendation of my nutritionist. It is recommended medication be taken on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and then wait 1 hour before taking any other medications or eating. If you are taking it any other time, it should be at least 2 hours since you ate anything. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and other veggies in that family can have an effect on meds when eaten raw but are okay when cooked. Limit soy to no more than 3 times a week.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #6  
barb

Height: 5'7

wow you really lost the weight congradulations. I hope I have the same success story. I have been fighting this for 3 years now . My meds keep changing. I feel good now. So hopefully I am good to go. I am going to start the core and see if it works for me. I have the info but never tried it. Thanks for the info.
djmommy is offline   Reply With Quote