3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   Friends With Ra And Oa #18 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/60355-friends-ra-oa-18-a.html)

sll2nyc 07-04-2005 01:30 PM

Happy Fourth of July!

:) Hi All!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful, relaxing day! I'm trying my best to have a good day. I have started flaring in the last couple of days so i'm trying to take it easy. I'm always torn between taking it easy or trying to keep going. I have a friend staying with me now that I know would love to do something, but I hate feeling this way, so I try and stay home and relax, take warm showers, that kind of thing. I hope she understands! What kinds of things do you all do when you feel the familiar feeling of joint pain? I would love to hear new tips!

Chris - I'm sorry I took your baby status! :( I am currently taking 17.5 mg weekly of methotrexate. I'm supposed to move up to 20 mg per week, but haven't gotten the correct prescription yet. I'm not the best patient right now so I haven't called the doctor yet. I also take 250 ml of remicade every 6 weeks, but I think that will be increased soon. It's been "wearing off" after about 4 weeks which is the reason I am having a flare now (I think). I also take tylenol for pain. It wasn't working well so they have given me vicodin for breakthrough pain. Finally, I take 5mg of prednisone daily. He's (my dr.) trying to move me down to 2.5 because I've been on it too long, but he's out of his mind IMHO. It's the only thing that I don't want to give up. Although, remicade is fast becoming something I don't want to give up. However, I work at an elementary school (last year was my first year) and I pick up every germ in the book, so I have to stop taking it often. So, that's a very long description of my meds, sorry for all the editorializing! ;)

Charlotte - Thanks for the warm welcome. It sounds like we are on similar meds. I'm considering volunteering when the school year begins and I'm all moved. I'm a social worker so I want to find volunteer work that has nothing to do with what I currently do. I'm thinking of volunteering with animal therapy groups. I'm still not sure. I also just got a piano, so I'm planning on taking a class at the community college. Also, to keep me active and to keep my hands mobile! Thanks again for being so nice!

Dinah! - Welcome! I just got on the boards too and everyone has been so nice. I have really appreciated them! I hope that you're feeling ok and that you have a great 4th!

Well, the hands are starting to give their queue that it's time to stop. I hope everyone has a great 4th. Thanks again for all the great messages. I love this board!

chrily 07-06-2005 11:42 AM

Welcome Dinah! Sorry to hear you have arthritis too. I didn't realize how many people actually have it until I got diagnosed with RA. There's alot....

Anyhow, I'm Chris, a stay at home mom of 3 girls. I've had RA for a few years now I suppose. Since 1999. I'm taking methotrexate too, the max dose. I suppose my next course of action is going to be Remicade. I know my doctor has mentioned it and my feet are starting to act up again.

Shaye, don't worry. You can be the younger sibling of the group. :D I was on prednisone for 1 1/2 yrs. I must say, I did feel great while on it too but my mom became diabetic after she was on it long term for her sarcoidosis. I didn't want to, and hoping I won't, travel down the diabetic path. My mom has been having joint pain for years now (I just found that out). ANyhow as of late, she was doing so awful and getting crippled up badly. I finally got her to go to the doctor and she was diagnosed with RA 2 weeks ago. The dr. started her on Methotrexate right away...15 mg. and dicolfenac. She's feeling a bit better. She's got a long road ahead but I'm glad she finally got help.

Hi Charlotte, Hi Joanne. Hope you two are enjoying the nice summer days. I actually got up this am at 6:30 and did a Walk Away the Pounds tape. I'm going to make it a priority to get my exercise in first thing in the morning. If I'm going to get this weight off of me-I am making it a priority. And after reading about the sugar not being so good for arthritis-I'm limiting my intake of that.

Hi Anne! Are you enjoying your summer days? How warm does it get in Canada anyhow?

Okay...back to getting the kitchen cleaned. Breaks over for me! Talk to you all later.

Angel-lover 07-09-2005 12:01 AM

Hi friends,

We're preparing for the hurricanes. DH & son are trying to get the shingles on the roof, so the black paper won't blow off. The eye of Hurricane Dennis is headed straight for us. Paula called this evening (our daughter from South AL). They are expecting a repeat of what they had before. She is supposed to fly out Sunday, to go to Iowa for 2 weeks (a job assignment). The airlines called her today & cancelled until Monday. I still worry. Of course, they won't take off if it's not safe, but you never know when something will happen unexpectly. She's baking cookies today, so her little girls will have something from "mom" while she's gone. I thought that was sweet. Please pray for her to have a safe journey & their safety at home. I pray for all in it's path. We are getting a lot of warnings. Being told to store food that can't spoil, because of power going off.

I've also been gone because of my computer. I've had a lot of trouble with it. I can't get into the forum a lot of days, because of it saying "can't find page", or I can read the posts, then try to reply....only for my Internet Explorer to crash. I'm trying to clean it out good. I don't have a lot of time right now, though, for the computer, because of the weather.

I didn't try for graphics, fearing of crashing again.....

Here's something special for all you to enjoy:

http://d21c.com/Seabird44/inspirations/heisgod.html

I hope all are feeling better that were sick. My prayers are with you all. I'm feeling pretty good these days. I'm midway with my treatment, so that helps. Stay safe. I'll be back when I can.

Love you, my friends.....
Charlotte

Dinahgirl 07-09-2005 10:04 AM

Stay safe

Hi everybody from North Florida. We are watching the weather closely, don't know where Mr. Dennis is going to visit. I am in the eastern end of the track, but we'll get wind and rain wherever he goes. My son is a reporter and spent the night last night in Key West. Even though the eye passed them by, he said it was pretty dramatic. Last year we were spared all four of the storms that hit Florida. I hope our blessings stick!

I've been kind of achy this week -- I think due to a lot of fronts coming through. But I'm still trying to exercise as much as I can - Wednesday I walked more than 11,000 steps, including 2.5 miles on the bike trail.

Have a safe and happy weekend, everybody.

Dinah :) :) :)

chrily 07-09-2005 10:59 AM

Praying for all of you in the hurricane area. I hope everyone stays safe.

Sorry for the short post. I have one good eye and one bad. I have an infection (I think) and my eye is swelling pretty good. After Kelly gets home from work, I'm going to the walk in clinic so I can get a prescription for some eye drops.

Talk to you all soon. I'll continue watching the weather channel and keep tabs on everyone.

~chris

Angel-lover 07-12-2005 06:13 AM

[SIZE=4]
Good morning friends,

We were blessed. Hurricane Dennis didn't hit us hard. Some strong winds & a lot of rain (which we're still getting). Also, Paula's house wasn't hit this time. There was one tree blown down, but it wasn't in her yard, but down by the road.

We were going through a lot, in another way, however. DH's dad had a massive heart attack Saturday, & died. I was at the grocery store, when DH called & told me to meet me at their house, because he'd received a call that his dad had passed out. When I got there, the paramedics were trying to revive him. They finally got him in the ambulance....& stayed quite awhile working with him. Got to the hospital with a "code blue", so we knew we were probably losing him. Everyone was sooo upset & there's a very large family. Papaw was the strong & wise one in the family. He never had anythng bad to say about anyone. He let me & my sister know a long time ago, that we were NOT in-laws to him! (we married brothers) It has been a terrible few days. The funeral was put off an extra day because of the weather, which makes it a little harder. We were blessed, though. Papaw had early stages Alziemers, & was grieving about it. He said he didn't want to live to get to the late stages....he loved his family too much & wanted to always know us. He was also a christian, very devoted to his God. Our God blessed us & him. He didn't have to see late stages of the disease & he went quickly....not suffering. He told Grandma that he felt like he was going to pass out, so he got a glass of water. After he took a sip, he passed out, & never regained conciousness. Grandma was upset that he hit his head hard when he fell, but I told her he never felt it........his head hit a cloud in heaven! Everyone agreed! The funeral is today, I dread it. DH has been so upset, that I can't stand it. They were very close. It's very early (I got up at 4am)....one of those sleepless times, & wanted to check on my friends.
My computer is doing better. I have been doing some cleaning on it.

I hope everyone is doing well. Maybe I can get back into the routine of posting individually soon. I love you all.

Joanne D 07-12-2005 10:20 AM

Hey There

Angel- I am so sorry for your loss.. He is in a better place. Take care of yourself. I know you will be very busy for a while.Time takes care of most things. I remember when my hubbys father passed. It took a long time for him to get over it. The storm passed us by. It dropped a lot of rain . We had no damage. We are high and so no flooding. We probably never will. Our neighbors down the street have to deal with that..
Bye Joanne

chrily 07-12-2005 11:19 AM

Charlotte-I'm very sorry for your family's loss. Take comfort in knowing he's in a better place. I just don't know what else to say.

I'm very happy to hear that everyone faired okay with "Dennis". I was worried about everyone in that area after watching footage on the news and listening to all the reports.

Okay. I have to go. Lots to do today.

~chris

Angel-lover 07-16-2005 07:50 AM

Good morning ladies,
I'm trying to get my morning started.......but, very slow. Good to see all the postings. Thanks for the prayers, & sweet words. We're all slowly getting better. As my MIL says.......my dear FIL isn't confused anymore! We had the reading of the will Thursday night....so I hope that's the last hard thing we have to go through. DH will receive 1/3 of the land at MIL's death, as well as his share of household items. Grands will receive a momento each. My MIL gave me a beautiful clock yesterday that had been in the family since before DH & I married....& she knew I had always liked it. I'll take a pic later & show it to you. She's trying to give some of the things out now, so it won't be so hard later. She's in bad health & this has taught us all a hard lesson. DH & I are going to go make a will out soon. DH & I went by the grave & spent some time there after the will was read....it seemed to put some closure for DH. The TV Station had sent a flower basket with a cross that lights up automatically at night & seemed to be telling us that all was well.

I've got a busy day ahead. Thanks for the prayers & kind words. Have a good weekend.

ageoldie 07-16-2005 07:12 PM

.Charlotte, I am so sorry to hear about your FIL. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Shaye,and Dianah, welcom to the group. I'm the one who come in and visits every now and then, can't seem to be regular.

Things have been very stressed around our house. I have told you all about the fact that our business has not been going well. I finally decided that I would have to get a "real" job, one that actually gave me a paycheck. Well, God moves in mysterious ways, and 2 days after I started sending out my resume, I got a call from the girl I used to work with, and my 'old' job has just become vacant and she asked me if I'd be interested in coming back there. It has been very strange, but I have just finished my first week. It was a very strange feeling being back after over 4 years, but I was suprised at how much I still remembered. I just hope I can hold up to working full time again. The first week has been so mentally tiring that I didn't have much time to think about how I was feeling.

In case you didn't know what I did before, I have gone back to work as a medical billing clerk for a group of 8 Rheumatologists. So at least I have my doc just right down the hall if I need anything.

I don't remember which one of you newer girls asked about exercising, but the answer is totally yes. That is the one thing that all 8 of our docs preach to everyone, the more you can exercise, the least your pain. Water aerobics is wonderful because it is so easy on your joints, but as someone said earlier, the cold water can be a problem.

Also my SIL in in the hospital, having a hard time. The put her in because she was having to start dialysis then she went home and started outpatient treatment, and she only had one sesson and became swollen and broke out with a really bad rash. So it was back to the hospital. Then while she was there she had a heart attact and has found out that she had 3 major blockages in her heart, one in her arm and one in her neck. The have done the bypass for the arterey in her neck, but say she needs to be stronger before they can do the heart bypass. And all the while, she is still having to do the dialysis, and her red blood count is way down so she has had to have blood transfusions. And she's about 5 years younger than we are. So keep her in your prayers too.

Well,I guess I've rambled long enough, hope everyone has a great weekend.

Angel-lover 07-20-2005 08:57 AM

Hi everybody,

Sorry so slow about posting. I've been very busy. I've been taking care of paper work for MIL. Doing her shopping.... etc.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/shopping.gif

Then, I had a lot of housework to catch up on.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ingmachine.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...er/ironing.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...er/dusting.gif

Well... 1/2 of the house is shingled!! DH has a little work this week, so the other half has to wait. We got bad news. My DH's job is suffering. The main store he works out of is closing soon. The owner is rich & has decided to retire & enjoy life. Don't blame him, but will make it rough on us. We knew something was going on, because the only work he's had lately is what he's got up for himself. He has a good reputation & this gets him jobs. Times are hard, though, & people are getting tighter with their money. We've got some decisions to make pretty fast. It just doesn't look like it's meant for us to have a stress free life anymore. In fact, not even a stress free week.

Barbara....Hope you get used to your new job soon. Hey, that would be handy...working close to your dr. Praying for your SIL. Keep us informed.

I've got a lot to do today. Hope all have a pain-free day...

Joanne D 07-20-2005 10:34 AM

Hey There

Hello Everybody- We are off to the beach tomorrow in N/Fl. I will be gone till the 1st of August. That may seem strange as I live a mile from the Gulf. It is really nice up there although I am not sure what we will find after Dennis. I know the seclusion and sunrises/sunsets are the best. We will be with my daughter and her family. That is always enjoyable. Stay well..
Angel- Life is full of challenges for us. I know it has always been that way for me.. I can't imagine what a day/week would be without something not being upside down.All I can do is butt my head down and keep on going. I hope things get better for you. Keep telling yourself "this too will pass". There is always the next hill. I am looking for the sunny side. I may never find it,but, I just keep looking.
Have a Great Week everyone...Joanne

chrily 07-20-2005 07:21 PM

Sorry I've been missing too. Been busy around here. I've decided to go back to school so I've been getting all that lined up. I'm going to work on my AAS degree in Accounting and then after I get that, I'll work up to a BA. It'll be different. I'm like the rest of the world, I guess. My dad plans on retiring when he's 62 instead of waiting because he'll lose alot of his social security. I figured if I can get my degree, it'll leave me with alot of job opportunities and also help out Kelly with his appliance business.

Charlotte-Sorry to hear about your husband's job. Seems the way things are going anymore for alot of people. Something good will happen though. I'll pray about it for you.

Joanne-Glad to see a post from you. I was worried that you got blown away with the hurricane. Alot of you ladies live down that way. I would be scared out of my mind!

Barb-Wasn't that a pleasant surprise to have your old job position open up right when you needed it. I hope you enjoy it.

Okay. I have to figure out dinner. Talk to you all soon.

~chris

Happy Canuk 07-21-2005 03:33 PM

http://photos.imageevent.com/happyca...inggirlsup.jpg

Charlotte - my sympathies to you and your family on the loss your FIL. It is so hard to lose the ones we love, but know that he is now in a place where pain and confusion don't exist.

You do seem to be having more than your share of troubles. I hope your hubby is able to hang on to his job. It is just so hard to find another when you get past a certain age.

Barb - nice to see you. Glad you got your old job back. It isn't so hard to relearn it, so the stress levels will be less. I hope your SIL is doing ok. What a worry!

Chris - how exciting for you, going back to school. I am sure you are looking forward to this.

I hope everybody survived the latest hurricane. I don't know how you can live in an area like that. It would scare me to death. We have had a couple of bad tornados here, and that does the same. MOstly, they hit out in the country, but now and then they cause a disaster. Lived in Alberta for 59years and for 43 of those years, never heard of a Tornado. Just in the past few years.

Hope you all have a nice day.

chrily 07-27-2005 09:57 PM

I am sorry for not keeping track of my posting like I should. Seems kind of quiet on here. I've been working all week so far because my co-worker took her vacation. Let me tell you...I'm not used to it.

No aches to report...with the exception of my aching feet but I'll find out what needs to be done for that at my next appt. He's booked up until Sept. 14th. Busy man. Or alot of people with arthritis woes.

I'm all signed up for my classes. Now I just wait on my finanacial aid papers. Hopefully I at least will qualify for a loan. We make too much for grants and free funds. Oh well. I'm getting more excited by the day though. This will be a great experience for me.

Gotta go see if there is any comfy Old Navy tees on ebay. My shirts are all looking sloppy and holey any more. Time for some new stuff.

~chris