Diabetes life change

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I was told I had dieabetes almost three months ago. It was such a shock. My whole life has change because of this. I can not cook like I used to. And have to check my blood sugar everyday well it is finally becomeing habit. My family is real supportive. The only thing is I have to lose alot of weight and its hard. Not only am I going to ww I have to watch my sugar. So when they say "don't deprive your self of something you want to eat. I still have to deprive myself cause what I want has sugar in it" So it is a really hard thing to do, but I am exercising and watching what I eat and have not had the junk I used to eat in months. Well if there is anyone out there that is in the same boat? Then come on over and talk to me. Angie
  • Hi,

My name is Amber and I'm a diabetic *smile* I feel like I'm at an AA meeting *hehe* I was diagnosed 3 years ago now which is hard to believe. I think the number one thing that has helped me is exercise. It lowers my sugars greatly. Even if I have a perfect eating day (which are few and far between) if I exercise my sugars stay stable. If you do HAVe to have something sweet, make sure you eat it with a meal (protein) because it will help your sugars not go as crazy. I LOVe diet vanilla pepsi and don't feel deprived at all.

Good luck with your weight loss!
    AmberM
  • Hi Amber, Hi Angie

Hi my name is Kisha and I, too, am a diabetic .

I do not have insurance, so I cannot afford to get tested so I've had to self diagnose. I have quite a few of the symptons plus with family history...It was a pretty short jump to the conclusion. I've managed to eliminate the sugar and white flour and include more veggies and fruits. I've just started doing a Pilates aerobic workout video. OMG, I can barely get through it but it seems to be helping.

I miss my sugary treats too. I'm looking into sugar alternatives like stevia and birch bark and seeing if I can modify some of my sweet treat recipes so that I can indulge once in awhile. I do freak out and grab a treat sometimes but I try to get as healthy as possible about it. Like I'll get the chocolate bar with almonds instead of plain chocolate. At least I'll get a little calcium out of it from the almonds. I'll have to try the protein thing. As it is, I don't think I'm getting enough.

My question is: I'm looking to get a blood glucose monitoring machine. What kind do you use and is it a good one? I have an idea (from scouring the internet) of what a good blood sugar level should be and need to start monitoring mine. There are so many products out there, though, it's hard to figure out what I should be looking for in a machine and who's a good manufacturer.

Thanks for any help you can provide. And keep up the good work ladies

Kisha
  • What do I use?
    I have a montonier called Ancesa I like it but it was kinda expenisve, I check my sugar in the morning before I have anything to eat or drink. That is the best time to check it. Have you tried using Splenda it taste just like sugar and is more avilable then the stevia. And alot of things in the grocer has splenda and rusell stovers has a no sugar candy I really like the mint patties. But I have to watch how much of these things I eat anyway you know calories. Are you drinking water and lots of it? I drink about 4 32 oz. glasses a day. Sometimes I feel waterlogged. But thats o.k My sugar this mornign was 104 so that is real good. I hope this helps you and everything goes o.k for you. You really should see a doctor, they can help you even more. I know it is hard with out insur. But please try to go and see one, self diagnoseing is scary, Hope everything goes well for you and bless you and have a nice day Angie
  • Thanks for the reply Angie. I'll check into that monitor. I've been trying to find information on the internet but it's like trying to pick the best blue pen out of a mountain of five hundred.

I'm turning into one of those crazy health nuts. I tried Splenda at first (only in my coffee) and it tastes great but then I read a report about some of the potential side effects of using it so I've decided to just ditch artificial sweetners altogether and go for something more natural. That's why I thought about Stevia. At the health food store I go to, they are selling it in small packets like Splenda. The particular brand they are selling says that it has a glycemic index of zero and won't raise blood sugar. I grabbed a few free samples but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Right now I'm barely managing to get in 8 cups of water a day. My goal is to get up to a gallon (16 cups). At one point I drank 3 of those 1.5 liter bottles and make myself sick. A friend of mine says that I may have given myself water poisoning. I don't eat a lot of salt and I guess what salt I was packing around in my body was washed away by all the water I drank. Now I add a little sea salt to my water which helps me retain it better (I'm not going to the bathroom every five minutes unless I'm hungry) but I think the experience put me off of water because I've been having a hard time getting back up to that level.

Thanks again for the info. It sounds like things are going okay for you. How are you doing okay with your plan?

Hugs
    Kisha
  • Hi,

I use the One Touch Ultra monitor. It uses a small amount of blood which I like. It is a good idea to check your sugars a couple times a day....at least for a little while just to see when they tend to jump so you can accomodate accordingly. Mine do so much better with exercise that I've actually had to decrease my insulin. Also, water is important but just drink what you can. If I get my 8 glasses in, I'm happy.
    good luck! Losing weight, exercising and eating healthy will help you out until you can get in to see a doctor!

AmberM
  • I have a One Touch Ultra (actually Ihave two of them - my HMO sent them to me free). It is compact and easy to use. The Monitor itself is not too expensive and you can get rebates on them. Unfortunately, the testing materials are expensive and if you don't have insurance, this may be a problem for you. Rather than buy a monitor you may want save up and go to a doctor for a diagnosis first. You may need medication. The generic forms of diabetes medications are not expensive. In the meantime, keep up your diet management and exercise.
  • What did you decide
    What moniter did you decide on ?
  • Hi everyone,

I was so pleased to see this thread. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about a week ago. I was not really pleased since I have PCOS and am about 80 lbs overweight. My regular doctor is off on maternity leave, but her replacement referred me to the diabetic clinic, told me I need to exercise daily, lose weight and test my blood sugars. I am waiting to go to the clinic before I get a monitor since I don't really know what I'm looking for.

What I am finding is that I have been on a million diets in my life and now I am really confused as to what I should be eating. Any suggestions to keep me going until I get in to the clinic? Any menu suggestions? Is it okay to go on any diet or should I be on one specifically for diabetics trying to reduce weight?

Thanks,
    Nancy
  • Hi, Nancy. Sorry about your diagnosis. Come join us over at the Dieting With Diabetes thread. (You'll find it under Dieting with Obstacles.) We provide ongoing information and support for each other. As to your diet, it's difficult. we are all struggling. Basically, you should eat a balanced diet, controlling carbohydrates. Avoid sugar based foods, limit pasta, potatoes and rice, try to eat complex carbohydrates (brown rice, whole grains) in small amounts. Also, rather than drink fruit juice, which overloads your system with sugar, eat the whole fruit. Check out the glycemic index for the sugar content of foods and try to consume mostly the ones in the lower category. The American Diabetes Association Website has lots of information and a list of cookbooks, etc. Also, Dr.Weil.com is very informative. Good luck.
  • Hello Nancy
    Hello Nancy I am glad you found us. Rosetta is right about what to eat.
    I went on weight watchers and that has helped but you have to find your own nich of a diet that works for you. I hope we all can be helpful. And come vist us in the thread she suggested hope to see you there or here. Angie
  • Thaks Rosetta and Angie. I'm heading over to that thread now.

Nancy
  • Hi, my name is Melissa. I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in February 2003. I have never really eaten sweets, I am much more of a carb junkie. I love pasta! I have recently switched over to whole wheat pasta which fills you way faster, plus it is better for you too. Another goal I am trying is to eat at least one green thing a day. TTYL.

Melissa
  • Well...................
    Well just thought I would check in. I have not checked this in awhile. I have been having a hard time with "french fries" this week I know not to eat them but I live them. I am gonna try harder this week not to eat them maybe I can find another vegi to eat .......I hope everyone is doing o.k My blood sugar was 103 today I am so pleased Well I got to go cause I have to get in bed and get some sleep See ya'all later k Angie
  • Hello everyone - I was diagnosed, the first time, with Gestational Diabetes back 12yrs ago - now I have Type 2 - I was on insulin while pg but now I'm on diet and pills - I have the One Touch monitor - it was $75 w/o insurance - but, as someone else said, the testing strips and lancets are expensive also. Have you checked into some type of Medicaid? Especially since you've been diagnosed with Diabetes. Maybe you could get a letter from your Dr. or something.

My lowest # has been 117 - my highest has been almost 300 - right now I'm leveling off around 120.

Staying away from starches helps as well as sugar. I don't care for Splenda, it is toooo sweet for my taste. I buy those Russel-Stoffers SF candies and WW has now come out with some. Maybe they would quinch that hunger for something sweet.