Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #31  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody- I went to my first water exercise class today. And yes I am sore. Mainly my legs, knees and feet. I also walked 3 miles today. The class was good. I would recommend it for anyone who finds it hard to do regular floor exercise. That gave me 2 hours of exercise today. I will keep to that schedule 3 times a week and just walk the other days. I am trying to increase my exercise . Maybe that will keep me over the edge when I feel like I just have to cheat on my eating plan a little.Being just me I know that is what I am going to do. I have too many temptations.
Happy - What a cute little girl. Must be your G/daughter.
Chrilly- I am usually in bed by 10 but read till 11. Getting to sleep is hard for me..I take enough over the counter stuff to put a horse down. Not me though.The beach is nice. It was hot today when I walked out there. It is getting in the 80's here now.
Wifie- Keep working on your eating plan.. get rid of the carbs and you will get to your goal..
Angel- I do hope you are feeling better by now..My sister has decided that it is too far for her top walk with me "at her age". She is 2 years younger than me.God is watching over me. I had a feeling she would tell me that in the long run.Yes ,I will think of you and pray that you will feel like doing something really fun at least once a week.Get well.
Bye You All...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #32  

I seem to be having alot of water retention. I have to admit I have not given up coffee, and I'm not drinking enough water so maybe that has something to do with it. Until I get rid of this fluid I won't go near the scale. Today for breakfast I had 2 tyson ready cooked chicken drumsticks. I was the only thing readily available and the way I was feeling I had to grab something fast. lol Last year by this time I had lost a good 30lbs due to my depression. I just couldn't eat. The weight just dropped off. Of course now that I'm desperate to lose this weight I'm having a hard time. Go figure. Oh course I was obsessing on something else last year. I have to keep reminding myself that it is not that long since I started this diet. It sure feels like a long time.
Hope everyone has a great day. love Wifie
Wifie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 PM   #33  

Default Hey There

Wifie- You are probably eating too much salt. Remember any fast food,even the ones you have in your freezer have a lot of salt.. I use the chicken breast and cook them myself.Use lemon juice and seasonings.You won't miss the salt. The white meat is the least fat.. Drink plenty of water. Mark it down everytime you drink a glass(8 oz).That is what I have done in the past in order to keep tract. I have not given up coffee and will not unless someone tells me it is going to kill me. I have given up just about everything else.
Hello everybody..Joanne
Old 04-22-2005, 12:36 AM   #34  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Wifie,
It's funny you should mention water retention. I was undressing to take a bath last night and there was a major indentation where my socks were around my ankle and my feet were puffy. My stomach feels bloated too. I haven't had that much retention in a long time. But I know I have been drinking alot of diet pop lately...extremely large amounts of sodium. Bad choice for me!

My feet are aching more again. Don't know if its the RA advancing a bit or if its my darn shoes.

Hi Joanne, I have a question about these water aerobic classes. Do you have to know how to swim? I don't but I have heard so much about these classes. It actually sounds like something I could do...provided I don't have to save myself from drowning. I wish I knew how to swim. I'm scared of deep water and I think it has something to do with not being able to see without my contacts in. I have the worst eyesight. My glasses that I wear at night are very very thick so I panic when I can't see.

Charlotte-Evening! Hope you're doing okay. Sure am thinking about you and praying for you.

Hi Happy, So is that your Granddaughter. She's going to break some hearts when she gets older. She is such a pretty little girl. The thought of my little girls getting older scares me, makes me sad, and hopeful all at the same time.

Barb-Hi to you too. I know you've been having a hard time also. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way too.

I really better get to bed. I'll talk to you all tomorrow.

~chris
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:32 AM   #35  

Hi Chris. You don't have to know how to swim to water aerobics. You can stay in the very front of the pool, but the deeper you go, the better workout you get. I like to be at least chest high.

Yes, that is my little Ashley. She just turned 7 this month. I can't believe where the time has gone. This was taken a few months back when the kittens were still small. They have now grown into full grown cats!!!! She has two of them. This one gets her in trouble, because she goes into her toys and pulls out the Barbie and Polly Pocket shoes and purses, the throws them around until she finds what she wants to play with. It is so funny. Her Mom and Dad thought it was Ashley doing it, but then they caught the culprit.

Wifey - hope things go better for you. That water retention is for the birds. When that happens, my joints get so darn tight they ache. The Dr. gave me some water pills for when that happens.

Joanne - glad you are enjoying your classes.

Angel - hope you are feeling ok?

Well, it is late and I need to go to sleep. Check back later to see how everybody is. This darn FM keeps me awake or makes me so fatigued I can't think. Seems like no happy medium.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #36  

Chrily, Well I drank so much water yesterday but noticed my water retention is better. You could have been me talking about your feet, that is one of the major problems I am having right now. It used to be one foot that hurt like **** now it spread to both feet. When I take my socks of I'm shocked at the red mark around my leg. I am getting better though I think its due to taking all my nutrients. Happy Canuk I know what you mean about the joints being so tight. There are so many problems with this RA. Although I haven't been on the scale my H noticed that I look like I have lost weight. He is better than a scale because he has never been wrong.LOL
Yesterday I went to the supermarket and was going crazy with the store bakery smell. It was driving me crazy. But I was strong and today I'm feeling stonger for it. I'm going to try to do a little excersize today. How everyone has a great day love Wifie
Wifie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #37  

Default Hey There

Chrily - I can't swim enough to save myself.. Never learned. I was always afraid to get over my head unless I had something to hang onto.The pool where I go is only 4 1/2 feet deep .I am just to my shoulders in the water and thats where the instructor wants us so that everything is done under water. You should try it..
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 04-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #38  
Focus on the Process

Evening ladies...
It's been a long day. I got some errands ran this morning and my sister came over. I helped her study for her physics test and then cleaned some and helped my husband put up some siding tonight on our shed. Needless to say...I pushed a wee bit too hard and now my wrist hurts AGAIN! It'll be in the splint tonight for sleeping.

Wifey, My feet are still a bit puffy today and they are achy. Of course, I get achier at a certain time of the month and thats only a couple days away, so that might explain my little aches and pains. What kind of nutrients are you taking? I've thought about it but never remember to look at the stores for anything and then I sit there and think-"Why would I want to have to take another pill?"

Joanne, I'm going to have to see if they have any classes for water aerobics that would fit my schedule. My other worry is being embarrassed in a swim suit and I don't know why but it embarrasses me to say "hey I have RA". It makes me feel different from everybody because of my age. I feel like a "baby". No offense to anyone but when you here the word arthritis, most people think of someone older. And when I tell some people I have RA, they look at me strangely, like they're saying...you wouldn't have arthritis if you weren't so overweight.

Charlotte-Hope your getting some rest. I know you are having such a hard time. I'm saying more prayers for you tonight and for all of my friends on this thread. I wish we were all normal, not sick- but normal seems so far away anymore.

Pleasant dreams and prayers for all. Wishing you all a nice night for some sleeping....

~chris
Old 04-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #39  

Default Hey There

Chrily- If you can find a place that you can go for water exercise.YOU GO! And to devil with anyone else there. They are probably there for the same reason you are. To get healthy. It doesn't matter what you look like in a bathing suit.Keep in mind you are doing this for yourself. You are the important one.My daughter is a small person .Less than 100 lbs. She has arthritis. It isn't only the heavy people who have this problem. I have had oa since I was 18 years old. I didn't weigh 100 lbs then.I can't believe I used to struggle to gain weight! Now I struggle to lose it. Imagine all those fat cells I was growing..What I do now to stay healthy is for me..You do the same. I know you are probably a busy girl. SOOOO! take an hour out of the 24 for yourself..Your family will survive..
Love you all ..Joanne
Old 04-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #40  

We've really been having showers the last few days. Before that...beautiful 85* weather! It's turned cold again for a few days. (Blackberry Winter)

Sorry I'm slow about posting, lately. Just haven't been on the computer much. I've been pretty busy with different things....so, when I stop, I'm exhausted! I went 2 nights in a row with NO sleep, or daytime naps...then, slept about 30 minutes one night. I finally slept last night. Must have been really "out of it" though. I woke up this morning with my duster still on, over my pj's. I didn't tell DH...he thinks I'm crazy enough. Not going to church this morning.....

Thank you all for your sweet concern. I'm ok. Just have to vent sometimes. I know DH & a (very few) others I vent to, must get tired of hearing it. I'm trying to cut back on complaining to them so much. I don't want to be a whiner. I'm really being taken care of at the TV Station. They bought me a very nice comfy chair this past week! They said they noticed I'd been squirming around & have to walk around holding my back, sometimes. Well...the other chair (which they bought me 2 yrs ago) was still fairly comfortable, but this one is MUCH better.
Also, one of the AV Engineers goes to a place where he buys large boxes of brand new item, at REAL discounts, not knowing what's in them, & resells for a profit. He gets some really nice stuff! I'm getting a new computer desk (very nice!) for only $50! I checked it out, & it normally costs over $300! So, I know he's really giving me a deal on it. He could make a lot more profit. He says that whatever he gets that I want while refurnishing the house, to let him know. Maybe we're beginning to see a turn around here. I know I'll feel better about everything when the roof is finished & DH is off of it. It has such a high pitch, it worries me. He doesn't want to admit that he's not so young anymore!

Joanne...I weighed 98 lbs when I got married. I was soooo skinny! I was embarrassed because I didn't have boobs. My daddy told me that if I didn't have hips, my skirts would fall off. My weight changed when I started having babies. Of course, the first being twins....... Now, I wish my boobs were smaller!
I'm glad things worked out with your sister. I thought of you a lot...I know what that "alone time" means to me.

Chrily...Sorry your wrist is acting up again. It sounds like your RA may be advancing. Just be sure to tell your Dr everything. I didn't take my Rheumy serious, at first, when he told me to tell him of any changes. I understand now, that any changes might mean a problem. Like my thumb problem...I thought I had a sliver of glass in it, or I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Now, I realize I could have lost it, or my hand! EVERYTHING needs to be checked out, just to be safe. Speaking of my thumb, since I've been on the circulation meds (Trental), it's doing fine.

Wifie....I'm glad you & others mentioned the indention the socks make on your legs. I'm sorry it's going on....just glad it was mentioned. I haven't said anything before, but, it doesn't matter how soft the sock.....looks like I've had a tight rubber band around my leg all day! I have diuretec in my blood pressure medicine, but doesn't seem to be enough. My legs & ankles are swollen bad by evening.
I worry about the scales, also. I know my weight is a little better, since I've been off sugar. But, I still fluctuate. I know it's the fluid retention, but it's still aggravating.

Happy Canuk...Thanks for the site....I'm trying to understand more about it, to maybe, help myself. Do you go back & forth with insomnia, then wanting to sleep all the time, & hard to wake up? That's how I do. I do notice a pattern, though. When my Remicade starts wearing off, the insomnia is worse. Dr. prescribed Zyrtec for me, but it's soooo high. I only use them when I absolutely have to, & when I take a treatment. I have to take Zyrtec & Benadryl during the treatment, because I'm sensitive to Remicade, & an allergic reaction can be dangerous. At least, I get my sleep that evening & most of the next day.
I suppose we didn't do so well keeping our meals posted. Sorry I have been good though, with my eating. Still no sugar. I believe it's helping me.

Gotta go, girls. Hope all have a good Sunday. Hello Ageoldie!

Last edited by Angel-lover; 04-24-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:56 PM   #41  
Focus on the Process

Hi ladies...this is going to be a group post since I have alot of stuff to do today...mainly laundry since my hand was working to fold clothes yesterday. It feels great today though.

I went to my mom's yesterday and I was really upset seeing how crippled up and in pain she is. I just wanted to shake her and say...Tylenol isn't going to make it go away! She always looks on the verge of tears anymore and it just tears me up because I know how the pain feels. Well this morning at church, she told me she is getting tired of the pain and tired of crying all the time. So I asked her yet again...Do you want me to call my doctor and get you an appt? She said YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy to hear that. She needs some relief. She can't straighten her arm out, her legs hurt, and she can't open one hand up all the way. I know she's got some permanent damage that isn't going to go away ( I think she knows that too) but if she could get some relief from the pain and swelling she'd be so much better. I also think she could benefit from some anti-depressants. She is just having a very very hard time. She has a very hard year so far with the uterine cancer and such. Its one of those things where if I could take it all (the pain, the emotional problems, etc)...I would do it just for her.

Today I'm going to try to get the laundry done and start working on my nephew's Spiderman quilt and curtains for his bedroom. They all just moved into a new house a few weeks ago and he doesn't have curtains so I thought that it would be a special present for him to get some with Spiderman. He's 3 yrs old and thinks Spiderman is #1. It'll be neat to get them done. Then maybe I'll feel like I'm clearing some clutter out of my sewing room. I have so many projects going. YIKES!

Gotta go. No telling where Nicole is. She's in a wild mood today. Driving her mama insane.

~chris
Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 PM   #42  
Focus on the Process

Where did everybody go? I was going to check and see how everyone was. Today has been a good day in my world. I got all my laundry done and put away. A major accomplishment in this house.

Tonight I went to Pier One Imports since my SIL got me a gift card for my birthday a few weeks ago. I got a really nice spice rack, a rose scented pillar candle and a holder for it. I love the smell of roses. That and the scent of pine trees are the greatest things.

I'm hoping you are all feeling better or at the very least, getting some much needed rest. I am thinking about all of you and sending some pain-free day ((vibes)) and prayers. I'm going to go soak in the bathtub and read for a bit and then go to bed.

Night,
chris
Old 04-28-2005, 07:02 AM   #43  

Good morning everyone,

Finally got back to you all...even though it's almost 6 am. Woke up very early this morning. I never know if I'm going to be sleeping too much, or not enough.
I haven't been feeling well at all the last few days...didn't feel like being on computer, or doing anything, really. Maybe my treatment will help me, Monday. I sure hope I still get it....& the Dr can explain a few things to me that I still don't understand.

We've been having some beautiful weather, up in the 80's. Got a little nippy the last couple of days, but not bad. DH took the tarp off the house, to not put it back. He said there would be the black paper before any rain. Well...........surprise.....it rained, & rained, & rained! We had 3 or 4 of those 5 gallon buckets in each room catching the water! I have clothes in tubs where a closet use to be (those are my dressers for now.) They got soaked, so I've been pretty busy. I feel so sorry for DH. I'm trying my best to not get bitter toward his family for not helping him, at least, with the roof. They all know what we're going through. He has 2 brothers & several nephews that has needed his help so many times....& still do! I know......I've told this before. It's just hard for me to understand. I don't have anyone on my side of the family, left living. Just my 2 sisters.....& one sister has nothing to do with us, hardly. We stopped letting our children know so much what is going on....they were putting in a lot of their time here, & letting their own needs go. Our son that moved back home (temporarily???) after his divorce helps on a rare occasion. I love him, & I'm proud of him for getting off drugs & being a very good dad to his two little girls....but, he could help a lot more. I'm really praying that he'll decide to find his own place, soon. We've let him know that he needs too. Especially for his children's sake. He has them every other week, & they need their own place. Our bills have doubled & tripled because of them all being here, & it's rough. We're being very careful, though....he's been clean & taking the girls to church for well over a yr, & don't want to discourage him. I know it isn't easy, but I also know he's taking advantage of us. Gee.......I don't know where all of that came from. Remicade wearing off, I suppose. I get sensitive & plain spoken during this time. I don't say things I shouldn't.....just get braver with my talk & take up for myself in a way I ordinarily don't. Sometimes, I surprise people. I didn't like the way Randal (one of our younger AV Engineers, who has a LOT of growing up to do!) did with my program Monday night. He was very lazy & didn't pay close enough attention to what was needing to be done. I was visibly upset when I finished it, & told Connie. She was in our office & had noticed something wasn't going right with my program, but had people in their with her, so couldn't check it out. She said she would talk to him, & I told her not to. I could take care of myself! I came home & vented to DH (who catches everything, bless his heart.) Then, I spent the next day cooling off, & praying about it. Tuesday.....I had a "discussion" with him......in a Christian way....but, plain! He was volunteering to do things around the station for me, by the end of the day. He's a good kid, but, like I said.....really needs to grow up. Now, if I had not needed a treatment.....I would have just come home aggravated, & not said anything.
Yesterday was Secretary's Day.....I got beautiful flowers!!!

I know I've rattled on & on....it's just so early in the morning, & everything goes through my mind.

Chrily....so glad your mom decided to finally go to a Dr! Let us know how the appt goes.
Hey...you have a lucky nephew! An aunt that will sew Spiderman quilt & curtains for him! I hope he appreciates it.
Your birthday????? Did we miss it, or do I not remember, now, that you had one? I hardly ever check the profile........you need to tell us these things BEFORE....so we'll know! Whether we did or didn't......I sure hope you had a good one!!!

Hello Joanne, Ageoldie, Wifie, & Happy Canuk!!!

Gotta go.....love you, my friends......

Last edited by Angel-lover; 04-28-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #44  

Good Morning Fibromyalgia, my name is Will, Will Power and I would like to introduce my friends Hope, Laughter, Smile and Prayer. We are the new sheriffs in town and we came to lay down some new law. We decided today we would wake you up instead. I see you sent Ache and Fibrofog already. Prayer and Smile are ready to deal with them before they get started. Oh, I know that they aren’t gonna go away right away and it looks like Ache wants to stay all day. That’s okay because Smile can hang with the best of them, and eventually Ache and his crazy friend Pain will just be a memory.

You see Fibromyalgia, what you need to understand is that you attacked the wrong kind of person: A Diva. You saw her break down after that car wreck and thought you would take advantage. Little did you know, Divas bounce back, and they look good bouncing back, to. Yes, I will admit, it took her awhile to give us a call, but she sounded the horn and here we are in full force, ready to kick your butt and take prisoners.

Let me further explain, remember when I went to that doctor, and you were laughing so hard you were rolling on the floor? You know the one doctor that really listened to me? Yeah, I went to a lot of them, but just remember my name isn’t Will Power for nothing. Oh, did I forget to tell you that my middle name is Determined? While you were so busy laughing you didn’t hear the most valuable piece of information he gave me: You can’t kill me! When I finally let that sink in, you see, that is when my friends that I introduced you to earlier came in. That doctor had a friend named Hope also and another friend named Understanding. Both friends named Hope and Understanding worked with that doctor and I until we found the right combinations to replace the friends you took away. I know you have Good Sleep, but we put a remedy together that summons Mr. Sandman to appear on command. Energy is here too, but in the for of Pace, as in pace myself, and half of the time I get things done without even knowing it.

Thank you for Exhaustion, he is a good reminder of when I need to take time for me without guilt. Exhaustion taught me how to say “no” to loved ones. At first Guilt and Exhaustion used to hang out, however my buddy Prayer put Guilt out. Prayer, Laughter, and I (Will Power) got rid of Low Self-esteem, Depression, and Anxiety. My buddy, what my doctor prescribed, stands guard at the door so they won’t come back.

So, let’s see where were we? Friends didn’t understand and grew tired of me at first. However, Hope gave them some education. Prayer filtered out the real friends that stayed with me and removed the ones that didn’t. So now I have a support group that love me and look out for my well-being.

And my buddy Laughter is the one that you got to watch out for. He has friends called Sarcasm, Jokes, and Harmless Pranks that keep us so busy; we don’t have too much time to pay attention to you.

Look Fibromyalgia, I know you are going to be here with us, and from what I hear it will be for the rest of our live, but guess what? My team Prayer, Smile, Laughter, Sarcasm, Jokes, and Harmless Pranks, are going to give you a run for you money. So bring it on Fibromyalgia, let’s see if you can hang with the big dawgs.

Sincerely giving you What For,
WILL POWER
Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #45  

I’m an Invisible Chronic Illness. I am now velcroed to you for life. Others around you can’s see me or hear me, but YOUR body feels me. I can attack you anywhere and anyhow I please. I can cause severe pain or, if I’m in a good mood, I can just cause you to ache all over. Remember when you and Energy ran around together and had fun? I took Energy from you, and gave you Exhaustion. Try to have fun now! I also took Good Sleep from you and, in its place, gave you Brain Fog. I can make you tremble internally or make you feel cold or hot when everyone else feels normal. Oh, yeah, I can make you feel anxious or depressed, too. If you have something planned, or are looking forward to a great day, I can take that away, too. You didn’t ask for me. I chose you for various reasons: That virus you had that you never recovered from, or that car accident, or maybe it was the years of abuse and trauma. Well, anyway, I’m here to stay!

I hear you’re going to see a doctor who can get rid of me. I’m rolling on the floor, laughing. Just try. You will have to go to many, many doctors until you find one who can help you effectively. You will be put on pain pills, sleeping pills, energy pills, told you are suffering from anxiety or depression, given a TENS unit, get massaged, told if you just sleep and exercise properly I will go away, told to think positively, poked, prodded and MOST OF ALL, not taken as seriously as you feel when you cry to the doctor how debilitating life is every day.

Your family, friends and coworkers will all listen to you until they just get tired of hearing about how I make you feel, and that I’m a debilitating disease. Some of them will say things like “Oh, you’re just having a bad day” or “Well, remember, you can’t do the things you use to do 20 YEARS ago”, not hearing that you said 20 DAYS ago. Some will start talking behind your back, while you slowly feel that you are losing your dignity trying to make them understand, especially when you are in the middle of a conversation with a “Normal” person, and can’t remember what you were going to say next!

In closing, (I was hoping that I kept this part a secret), I guess you’ve already found out: the ONLY place you will get any support and understanding in dealing with me is with Other People With Fibromyalgia) sometimes with your understanding family.