Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #1  
PamPSM644

Default Anyone With Muscular Distrophy?

I've been battling my weight most of my life.It's so easy to gain when your surpose to avoid strenuous activity. Also food became my drug of choise. When I get upset I eat.Depressed,angry,bored,I eat. Now my weight and my disease have me almost completly housebound. I can't go to the Mall.I have to shop at stores that provide handicapped carts,and just getting around my own yard is a problem. Two weeks ago I started Atkins.I lost 20 lbs the first 2 wks.This week I've staled as is predicted but am not quitting. It's taken alot to get me started.I've had to look at it as a battle of life and death.I had to get "fighting mad" and brainwash myself into it. I look for tools to use to occupi my mind and time. Boards have been helpfull.I watch lots of soaps then get on Soapnet and talk about them.I have lots of fur children, they are a comfort.I am determined to start living again.I've survived alot of misery and unhappiness the fifty yrs I've been on this earth and I never let it beat me ,I refuse to allow it to start now.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #2  
gbo

Hi Pam, I was diagnosised with M.S. , had a very sever back injury, a colapsed immune system, and a myrid of other complications. My children of the fur are my sanity and keep my heart filled with love. I have been mostly housebound since 1987. I have my own electric cart, wheel chair , walkers, canes and so on. At this time I can walk almost normally but cannot be on my feet for more than 5 minutes without a great deal of pain. Here I had lost 100 pounds but last year I spent most of my time in bed. I have regained it and more. You can do this and so can I, but it must be a life long lifestyle or you will be in my position. Hang tough do what you can and reach beyond what you think you can do, just a little more. Don't hurt yourself but we are able to do just a little more than we think. Test you limitations and work within them. We are on this journey with a great bunch of people.

Pam
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #3  

Don't have MS, but do have paraplegia, so I can relate to some of your frustrations... I personnally love all the websites / diet books etc. that advise "lots of walking" to lose weight. Gee, thanks!
But disability doesn't mean we can't keep the old waist line in check - just that it might be a little harder and take a little longer - but then, we are used to that, arn't we?
Charlotte2 is offline   Reply With Quote