Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #1  

Red face dieting with diabetes

Hi I'm Deb. I'm really new to 3FC's and still pretty new to living with diabetes. My doctor has a pretty grim veiw of me ever losing weight, since he's been on my case for a number of years. And I can't say as I blame him. But I do think that with a little support and encoragement I could make progress.

I'm looking for others who face losing weight while trying to maintain blood suger counts in a good range. And hoping we can share tips and laughs along the way. And in the end we can all learn from each other.

So let me hear from you gals.
deb 290/and dreaming of 145
2round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:34 PM   #2  

Cool

Well Deb, it looks like its just me again. I'm too tired to say more. Have a nice trip to Dallas and I'll take to you next week.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:35 PM   #3  

Whoops. I meant "talk" to you next week. Told ya I was tired.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:04 AM   #4  

Hi, I am also new to diabetes, just been diagnosed last month. I am at the "I am so bummed" stage, but I am trying to cope. I am going to a clinic about diabetes, so I can learn more. I am trying to eat healthy, but sometimes it gets hard, especially going out to dinner. Somehow, I just can't see me ordering a salad, while everybody else is having a great dinner. Well anyhow,maybe we can support each other in tips about what to eat,and what works . bye for now Pat
patsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #5  

Hi..im rosey from alaska..im not new to 3fc i post in the support group back door friends.. and ive been diebetic for many yrs now and struggle with the same issues as you all..first off im 55, married to same man for 35 yrs, mom to 2 girls, gramma to 4,love to do crafts esp scrapbooking,read,and play games and cards..i have alot of weight to loose.. ashamed to say how much but have been trying along time now.. ive managed to loose since my surgury last oct a total of 23 #s not very impressive..recently i joined curves.. now this is a major step for me as i have never deliberatley exercised in my life..however watching my daughters loose 50#s and the other 80#s by ww pts and exercise i decided to try it and it s not easy..all i know is exercise is the key with cutting back on foods.. the problem im having and hope that someone knows the answer is how many carbs should a diebetic have aday and still loose?? the carb issue confuses me..hope you all have success and if i can help support your efforts im here..rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #6  

Hi everyone! Glad to see there's a new thread for us diabetics!

I was diagnosed last November, so I'm coming up on a year now. Since being diagnosed I've managed to lose about 20 pounds. And, it's made a major difference in my blood sugar levels. I went from 2 pills a day of glucophage to 0. My blood sugar readings in the morning have been from 80 to 96. I have to say that diet and exercise has been the key. I have found that if I stay on a low-carb diet, then I can lose weight and keep my reading in the excellent range. I stay under 30gms of carbs per day.

When I originally started trying to lose weight the dietician told me to just watch my fat intake and keep my carbs around 120 per day. This didn't work for me. I was hungry all the time and I wasn't losing any weight. When I decided to adjust my carbs to the level I'm at now, I talked to my doctor about it first. She agreed to have me try it and it has really worked. Most of my carbohydrate count comes from vegetables, and high fiber fruits everyone once in a while.

Good luck everyone! We can lose weight with this disease, it's just a matter of finding a plan that works for your system, and persistance. Don't lose hope!
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #7  

hi i am pat. diabetic for 6 yrs.i would like to jion you. rosey i find i have to keep carbs very low to lose weight, you will just have to experiment. like kerri about 30 for me also and my dr. approves. hi deb.pat.rosetta. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #8  

Wow back from the weekend and really glad to see everybody!! This is going to be great! Well of corse I didn't watch things as close as I should have over the weekend, But I did manage to say no to the worst things. But I'm really feeling a little out of sorts today. Can't quite put my finger on it, so need to be really good today. And I'm going to weigh and get a good starting point for this new journey. Pat's, Roesy glad your with us and hope you'll find this what we need. Rosetta sorry your so tired you could be working to hard.
I'm also going to try to cut back on my carbs. I think the class I went to has me eating too many as well. I'm needing some good tips on how to make sure I'm not hungry while watching the carbs. And also not eating to much fat in the process. I can see where we get so confused. To much data for me sometimes.
Well got to get to work for now see you chicks later tonight.
Have a great day!
Deb
Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #9  

Smile

Hi everyone.. this is so neat to talk to people having the same health problems..wow 30 grs of carbs.. thats not much.. no wonder ive not been loosing much..does anyone else get weak shaky and cranky when you restrict carbs all together?? i tried that and felt lousy..but realize i eat way more than 30grs i will experiment and see what works best for me..will check in often and if i can help or encourage any one else im here for you..rosey
Old 09-07-2004, 09:33 PM   #10  

Cool

Good evening and welcome rosey and patsy (who I said hello to on another thread). Our San Francisco "summer" has kicked in with a vengeance and we've had several days of temperatures have been in the 90s. I stayed in all weekend so I'm crabby. Also no air conditioning at work. Ah I wish the fog were back! Rosey, losing 23 lbs is no little accomplishment. Bravo! Good idea to join Curves. Exercise is vital to diabetics and will help your sugars go down. As for carbs, I admit I'm not good at counting things. I know that refined carbs are bad for us and we should avoid them as much as possible. Kerri has the right idea about getting most of her carbs from vegs and some fruits. I have some info from the diabetes dietician which I'll check to see if any percentages are mentioned. Recently I've been taking sandwiches to work made from low calorie bread (40 cals. a slice), low fat cheese and cucumbers. That was working well until I fell off the wagon and am back to my bad habits. I have a bad achilles tendon which has made it difficult for me to walk the last couple of years and a recurrent corn which I have regularly attended to by a podiatrist. (Ladies, this is one thing you must be careful with -- don't use any store bought stuff to treat corns - go to a podiatrist to have them treated - otherwise you could end up with a hole in your foot). Plus I have a problem with my right shoulder which prevents me from lifting my arm above my head. But I'm going to figure out a way around all this and start moving because that is the only way to get blood sugar under control. By the way, Kerri, how do you get your morning sugars so low? 80-90 is normal! Keep it up. Deb, you're probably tired from the long weekend and hopefully you'll snap out of it. The only thing I can think of that fills me up when I'm hungry is an apple. I don't really know the carb count, but it works for me.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #11  

Good morning all. Well I weighed yesterday and gained 2 pounds over the weekend. Not the result I'm trying to acheive. So I'm pretty bummed about that this morning. And I think I am A little burnt out from the weekend, And didn't get to bed till late last night, so I'm really in rare form this morning, Even a little crabby with the hubby.
I'm going to have to try this carb thing out to see how my body and numbers react to such a change. All I know for sure is my pants are so tight they hurt this morning. Talk about a reminder all day long. I'll be miserable this afternoon.
Well guess I'll go for now, I'm just so cheery this morning.
deb
Old 09-08-2004, 07:12 PM   #12  

Hi its me rosey..i just got back from curves.. i was weighed and measured..hadnt had that happen since befor vacation in july and just got back dieting and exercise last monday..i knew i had gained but it was 3#s since july..also they measure you and i did loose inches.. a total of 9 1/2 inches..after talking to the girls at curves we decided im carb sensitive.. like i said ive tried no carbs and feel terrible..the curves ladies suggest i start at 60 g and work down to 30 so i wont get discouraged and thats what im going todo..thankyou all for your suggestions..hope you all have a great day rosey
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #13  

Cool

Man is it early and I will be stuck in training all day so I will post tonight. Have a skinny day everyone
deb
Old 09-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #14  

Smile

Hi everyone.. boy i never realized how i love carbs..this is going to be a real challenge for me..the day started out good but by dinner i was eating noodle hot dish my determination dwindles as the day goes by hmmmmm i think i need a keeper ..have a great day everyone rosey
Old 09-10-2004, 08:01 AM   #15  

Hi everybody, I am also trying to watch my carbs. Yes, it is a challenge. I am starting back to curves. I will start when the weather gets a little too cool to walk. Now, I try to walk everyday, while the weather is good.Monday, I go to a class at a hospital to learn about diabetes.(rookie) I am anxious to see what a nutritionist says about what to eat,what not to eat,Yada yada yada. It does get confusing.Does anybody have problems with numbness in the legs? I do. I went to a neurolgist,and took a test. He said I had Neuropathy in my legs. It particularly bothers me at night,but I keep on walking and exercising so it don't get worse. Any tips on this one? I hope this thread remains active. I enjoy "talking" to you. Have a great weekend! Pat
patsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote