Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 11:24 AM   #46  

I am glad my research about anxiety attacks and a good diet to help fight them was of some help. Just remember eveyone, you are not alone in this quest both towards health and fitness and towards mental balance! We can do it.

I have been pigging a bit today but it is ok. I am usually really tough with myself and I have realised that I need the occasional 'off' day to relax. I am almost at goal and a week difference does not matter. What matter is that I finally manage to relax and obatain this mind balance I long for. ( the thin hips to go with it would be nice too !!! But I am only 6lbs from goal now. I will get there!!!!)

People:

- Learn to relax, breath and make time for yourselves
- repeat to yourself: " Yes I can do this! (relax) na d be thin too!"

Good luck everyone!!!

Ghislaine.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:44 AM   #47  

Hi girls,

How's everyone doing? I am getting the breathing down better now, at first it felt to funny to breath like that. It does seem to help. I am going to a bookstore sometime this week and check out all the books mentioned here. I love to read info on self help, you can always learn something. I did a 5k walk Sat, it only took me 40 minutes so not to bad. I think walking everyday helps to. Ghis, do you think your eating better has really made a difference on how you feel? I am still not off the caffeine, I seem to have an addiction to the stuff and I know it isn't helping my anxiety at all. I also eat way to much sugar. I had been diagnoised with hypo (low blood sugar) back in 1986 and learned to eat better. However I now have slipped all the way back into my bad eating habits, after you have that so long you learn to cheat, but of course you are only cheating yourself!! Just wondered if you noticed a huge difference on how you felt after giving up the bad foods.

Well hope all of you have a good day.
Daytona
Old 06-11-2001, 11:36 AM   #48  

Default Need some moral support

I've posted a couple of times and you all have really been super with the support. The past couple of weeks have been like a soap opera and I'm letting it get in the way of everything I should be thinking of if I'm going to lose the weight. I came to work this a.m. and immediately had coffee and a breakfast sandwich. A little later I had more coffee and a breakfast muffin. It's not lunch yet, but I have leftover noodles and veggies as well as yogurt. (I have to have the yogurt to try and control an infection.)

So, nothing in my life will change until Wednesday and I really do need to quit eating what I want and start eating what I should. I planned to go back to WW on FRiday, but became ill at work and ended up at home in bed instead.

I know that each of you people have some experience with what I'm going through. I'm losing hope and I find myself saying more and more, "what's the use?" Then later I say I'll give it one more try. Only this time it is harder than usual.

Gobbie
Old 06-11-2001, 01:22 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 150/146/135

Height: 5"1"

Default can I join in?

Hi Everyone,

Can I join this thread? I too, have panic attacks and need to lose weight.
I've found your postings very helpful, particularly the ones that discuss medication and diets.
I just turned 44 and have had panic attacks for as long as I can remember. As a child I became terrified to leave the house (my first experience at being housebound). About 12 years ago, with help from a therapist, I found out the reason. It didn't stop the attacks but it did solve the mystery as to why I have them.
I'm 5ft. and weigh 125 lbs. I seem to be putting on pounds and not losing it every Dec since 1989. I'd like to stop it now before I gain anymore. It's so easy to ingore the weight gain when you are concetrating on dealing with life and panic attacks.

Thanks for this thread,
Bliss
Old 06-11-2001, 05:43 PM   #50  

Hi all,

Gobbie, don't be discouraged!!! You will get on track and lose the weight, sometimes it is just the last thing you think about when more pressing matters are at hand. Maybe you can start by making a few better choices? I read an article in Good Housekeeping saying if you just cut 75 cal a day you can lose 15pds in a year. Just try to make small changes and don't think all or nothing. That was a trap I fell into when I first started dieting, if I wasn't perfect on the food plan I would say what the heck, and really blow it. I am here to tell you I gained my last 20 pounds saying tomorrow I will diet. You can do it, we will encourage you when you need it, you are not alone!!

Welcome Bliss, when you found out what caused your panic attacks did they stop or didn't it make a big difference? I am taking Buspar for the past 2 months but I still have some days that are not so good. It helps a lot with the anxiety and I have not had it effect my weight loss one way or the other. It is hard to worry about your weight when you are feeling anxious, for me food is like a tranqulizer I am the queen of emotional eating. At least if you diet and lose weight it gives us something positive to think about LOL.

Daytona
Old 06-13-2001, 09:16 AM   #51  

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let all of you know I am going on vacation tonight and will be back next Wed the 20th. We are going up to our cabin so it should be a relaxing time. Have a good week everybody.

Daytona
Old 06-13-2001, 11:39 AM   #52  

Angry hi everyone

hi all,
I've been lying low these past few days...not very active, my weight has been stable...no loss or gain...have hit a wall, need to get a bit of a jump start...my anxiety has been ok some days and moments have been better than others...I just need to re-focus and follow my tried and true walking and eating the right food. I have not really been feeling all that motivated to be honest, I don't know what it is but I hope I get out if this rut soon! sometimes though I think that I need to experience the lows it makes the highs all the more exciting!

daytona,
have a fabulous break you lucky girl you! Come back relaxed and re-energized!

bliss,
welcome.....and a big >>>HUG<<< sounds like you have at least identified the cause of your anxiety, which is more than I can say...I am still looking for it...post as often as you like and we all look forward to hearing updates on your progress or even if you just feel like dropping in to say hello, that's fine too.

jennifa, barbee, ghislaine gobbie & 1moretime and anyone else I forgot to mention - how are things going your way? relaxing thoughts and vibes to you all.

p.s - anyone got any good jokes?

Take care,
MyGirl

Last edited by MyGirl; 06-13-2001 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2001, 10:15 AM   #53  

Default Thanks for support

I look forward to your posts MyGirl and Daytona1; I hope all is well with you. I did go to WW and weighed in on Wed. Highest I've ever been and I know it isn't all from being on crutches so long. I strongly suspect some of the meds I'm on; I'm trying to cut back on those now, but I expect I'll have some side effects from that. Things are at a new all time low in my life right now, but finding 3FC and this forum helps loads. As soon as my personal crises pass, I'll be more active here (and hopefully less sedentary at home). My corgi, Gobbie, says that if she can keep her figure down to a svelte 23#, I should be able to get down to my healthy figure.
Old 06-15-2001, 03:22 PM   #54  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

Talking I feel your pain...

Hi All!

I suffer from anxiety also. It started when I was ten years old and has progressively gotten worse. I am in a generally "anxious" state all day long, which is why I overeat. A doctor once told me that I grind my teeth and eating alleviates the sensation (didn't make any sense to me at the time, but think about it - what is eating? grinding food and swallowing). The doctor said it is not that I am so hungry but that my nervousness causes the "teeth-grinding" and overeating. (Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming it all on the anxiety. I love the taste of food.)

I have learned to function with my anxiety and am trying try to "lower my stress threshold" as my doctor says.

What I've noticed is if I have "too much on my plate", run myself ragged, and don't get enough sleep, I will get anxiety attacks.

It's all one day at a time. With patience and perserverance we will all achieve our mental and physical health goals.

Stay well!
Raff0519

P.S. I have the flu today and have only little eaten a little lunch. Maybe I'll lose a couple of pounds! (heh, heh)
Old 06-17-2001, 01:25 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 150/146/135

Height: 5"1"

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for letting me join in!

Can anyone recommend web sites on phobias and panic? For the past few years we've been on the net I've looked at a few, but haven't found one with a message board I wanted to join.

To Daytona, You asked if my panic attacks stopped after finding out what caused them. Not completely, but I do feel I have better control over them. I'm no longer housebound. I can travel all around the county I live in and if I'm feeling really good, I can get to Pittsburgh (I live in a county north of it). I believe I've had panic attacks since I was 3 at least. Now it feels almost like a habit I can't give up. Having this problem is a part of who I am and I think I'm afraid to get well, of making such a big change in my life. A while back I saw an Oprah show where Dr. Phil was discussing addictions and habits. So much of what he said hit home. It's so easy to use "the panic attack" excuse when you don't want to do something. Like doing it out of habit instead of really thinking about whether you can or just don't want to go out. I'll talk later about how I found out what caused my attacks.

To Ghislaine, I'm lactose intollerant, too. When I first had this problem, I would get so sick it would bring on panic attacks but now that I have it under control, by avoiding lactoce or by using a product called Lactaid, I don't get sick so I don't have panic attacks. Your letter on the hypoglycemic diet was great. My doctor told me ages ago I should stay on that kind of diet but it's very hard to give up certain foods. BTW are you an Easties fan?

Thanks for the hug MyGirl! Hugs back to you and everyone! Bliss
Old 06-19-2001, 09:37 AM   #56  

Wink lying low

Hi everyone,

Welcome RAFF0519...glad you have found us

I'm still in my state of limbo, can't say I have made any progress yet on the weightloss front...I just need to get myself organized!

I still haven't figured out what the underlying cause for my anxiety is...when I find it I will feel a bit relieved!

S-L-O-W-L-Y does it this week.

Take care,
MyGirl
Old 06-19-2001, 01:21 PM   #57  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

Red face Hello Ladies...I'm a little sleepy today

Hi all! Hope you all are doing well.

I'm at work and am stressed as ever. I'm juggling work and college classes, and am having a hard time handling it all.
IT JUST MAKES ME WANT TO EAT MORE!

Otherwise, I am fine thanks to this webpage and all of you - it's nice to know there are others that feel the same way.

Stay well and keep strong.
Peace and love.
Raff0519
Old 06-19-2001, 10:01 PM   #58  

Angry Web site for panic and phobias

Bliss,
Check out www.healingwell.com and go to their panic message boards. They are very helpful there and sometimes it's nice to know others feel the same way.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:01 AM   #59  

Hi everyone,

The vacation was great, just hung out and relaxed!! I managed to stay the same with my weight so I was so glad. Now that I am back I have been eating a little more so I need to stop that. I felt less anxiety while I was away, I think it was because I was busy doing enjoyable things, walking in the woods, going to the mall, eating out etc.. Too bad everyday life can't be like our vacations!!
Have a great clam day and welcome to all the new posters!!

Daytona
Old 06-28-2001, 07:26 PM   #60  

Talking bouncing back!

Hi everyone,
how are you all doing? I have finally snapped out of my rut...thank God for that...I often feel like I have to experience the lows to make the highs all the more better!

I've been out walking and watching my total daily fat count seems to be helping and of course avoiding coffee and most caffeine products. I think having some more protein rather than filling up on carbohydrates has helped me enormously...I read that it helps control the anxiety and is also good for my weight loss...a double whammy!!

1moretime...I checked out that website it had some real good stuff on it, thanks for letting us know about it.

daytona,
sounds like you had a great time, I am so happy for you. Having time out is so re-energizing, it helps us regain focus in our lives and gives us that boost we all need form time to time.

Have also been doing some spring cleaning (ok I know I'm a bit late for that)and it feels so good throwing out so much junk that has been lying around the house collecting dust...it's quite liberating!

Take care,
MyGirl

Last edited by MyGirl; 06-28-2001 at 07:30 PM.
Closed Thread