Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 03:11 PM   #1  

Default Diabetic Woes II

Last night I thought I would lose my mind. I have struggled with serious weight issues for MANY years and have been successful at it 2 x in my life losing 80+ pounds both times...but as soon as I lost the weight I returned to my old eating habits and gained it all back then some....Sound familiar????
Now as the years have progressed my obesity problem has grown into an obesity problem + a diabetic problem. I can not stay on a diet even for 5 minutes....full well knowing I might be doing more damage to my nerves, kidneys and heart. I am not taking insulin yet and would like to get some information from others about how they went from being a binge eater/comulsive overeater to a compliant diabetic...??????This whole thing has me sooooo depressed. I want to help myself but I keep diving into the sweets.....I do take Paxil and am still depressed and eating ..... and my blood sugar levels are in the 230...fasting in the morning????
Old 01-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #2  

hi pat good to see you back. this is a difficult struggle. i find i have to do one day at a time. i finally settled on atkins . it brought my bs right down i have given up 3 pills anf now take one 500 ofmetform. but now i am scared to eat carbs. at first i lost 20 lbs. fast now i am down to 1/2 lb. a week . now t need to exercise and that is hard for me to do, i do like to walk bot it is cold here right now. how are you doing? just keep on trucking. i am into a 5 day stretch at work. i work part time. how about you? i hope we can get a few more coming. paperdoll
Old 01-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #3  

Hey PStanley (or Crazypat)

This is a hard lifestyle--being diabetic and losing weight. Sometimes the medications the doctors put you on can cause weight gain. I have been a diagnosed Type 2 for 4 years now (it dosent seem that long). Am lucky that the metformin helps me to keep my sugars low and keeps the weight off. I have lost a total of 70 lbs over the the first 3 years and have been maintaining for the last year. It is not easy, I back slide sometimes (was really hard this Christmas as husband was in hospital and I did some stress eating). This is a one day at a time challange. You change your eating habits slowly. At first I concentrated mostly on portion size and reading labels. Then I tried to become aware of what I ate and why I ate it. I dont buy junk food for myself and what junk food comes into the house is stuff I dont like (my dad and husband live here--and they want snacks). I keep lots of fruit, snack size popcorn, nuts, and low sugar things here for me to snack on. But, as a rule, I try not to snack, as that is what made me fat to start with. This is a life style change (not a diet). Just be aware of what goes into your mouth. My rule on cravings is tell myself that I will have it tomorrow and usually by then I have forgotten what I was craving (I have CRS) LOL.

Like I said, it is not easy. But my health is worth it. This is something I am finding I can live with. We still go out to eat once a week and I usually share a meal with my Dad. On special occasions I have had a piece of birthday cake (but a small piece and never a corner). Drink a lot of water and get out and walk each day. This is your life and you want to be healthy. The complication from diabetes scare me to the point of working hard to stay healthy.

Once you get on the right track, it isnt as hard as when you start. If someone had told me 4 years ago that I would be a size 10-12, I probably would have died laughing. But here I am, down from 220 to 150 and loving it.

I am reading Dr Phils new book and learning some new things about weight loss. It all starts in the head, once you learn why you do the things you do, then reprograming your self is not so hard. It is a good book.

Pat, you have my e-mail address, write if you have any personal things to talk about. If I remember, you are near Phoenix right
Old 01-15-2004, 10:11 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Hi all:

I'm in similar straits but slightly different -- what I have is PCOS/IR and gest. diabetes. I have to do a GD diet and the finger pricks but no insulin. I'm hoping after baby is here that I can continue with a diabetic diet to help control my PCOS/IR and avoid type II in the future. (My risk for developing it later is pretty high.)

I was sent to a diabetes nutrition class with a dietitian and it helped -- have you tried that?

A.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #5  

Default GD and IR

Hi there, Astophe. I just wanted to jump in and let you know that I had GD, too and am now 4 months post-partum, struggling to lose weight.

I can't be too much help in terms of guidance, because I am struggling at the moment, but if there is anything I can tell you, having been through GD, please let me know.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Daisynyc! So far things here are going well... then again, after the holiday eating it has gotten a lot easier to manage my BG!

A.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #7  

hi pat how are you doing?is it getting any easier? how can i help you? took me a long time to get back on program after the holidays. astrophe..... how are you doing. when is your baby due? pat
Closed Thread