Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 07:33 PM   #1  

Angry Fibromyalgia #105

Prevention magazine has some good info. on the South Beach Diet and the differences between it and Atkins.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/cda200...s1-999,00.html
Old 09-24-2003, 10:16 PM   #2  

Well...I for one am about sick to death of diets. None of them really work for me!!! They are all the same. I say just eat less of what ever it is you eat! If you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full and eat less food you HAVE to lose weight! Right? Even if you are eating the same food you have always ate! If I stop eating sweets or chips or any certain KIND of food, then that is the kind of food I crave! So I wind up giving in and eating it eventually. If I give myself permission to eat it when I'm hungry ... in moderation ... and stop when I'm full. Eating less of it than I did before ... just cutting back on the AMOUNT of food I eat, then I should lose weight. You can't eliminate food from your life, it's a necessity, it's always there (kind of like some people), so you have to just deal with it!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:35 PM   #3  

Hey guys-there already was a #104. But anyways. Please read Dr Phil's book. IT IS NOT A DIET!! I ahve a challenge-I am baking for the Church Fair and I have to weigh in tomorrow. We'll see how I do. I just got on the computer because the DSL was down. I am having a problem with my knee. Chiro told me it's a disc on the side of my knee. We walked gor 90 minutes yesterday. Too much!!Been answering the questions in the bokk-check out the book discussion under the TOPS forum. Be good all. Mima
Old 09-25-2003, 07:55 PM   #4  

Default Hey There

Well girls another 2 1/4 lbs gone- Hope I can keep it up..I want to stay on this quick start for another week. Now I am looking for more variety. After monday I can add fruits and some other carbs. I am going to hold out for one extra week.
Meme- I don't like to say I am on a diet . It is a eating plan ,because, I know that I have to eat this way for the rest of my life.. I gain very easy... I will slip. We are all only human..But, I have been heavy for more than half of my life and I hated it.That thought may help to keep me focused.
Mima- I won't buy Dr. Phills book.. I can't even watch him on TV.. But if you and anyone else gets something good out of it, that helps you ,that's great.
Hello Ally ,Anagram,Happy...
Bye......Joanne
Old 09-26-2003, 06:58 AM   #5  

Congrats to you-Joanne-That does sound like a good plan and I like that you can add carbs back in-complex carbs I'm sure- I did really well this week staying on WW with points and walking-I hope it shows up at TOPS this am. I didn't even eat a choc. chip cookie yesterday-only a cocanut one made with healthy margewrine-no trans fat- and Splenda. It was good. The book club discussion is not under TOPS-it's at the top of the forums-tomorrow is the church fair-I will be working ALL DAY and then going to the chicken barbecue. I am only working one day next week because they didn't have many tests to correct-Meme-I haven't found anything in the book about people with physical ailments and I know it affects the way you think and feel about yourself-I just did a checklist and found I have a view of myself that is negative because of my age, flab, and pysical ailments. That should be a whole other book. But I can swim and feel better and I haven't-that always makes me feel good. Bye for now-Mima
Old 09-26-2003, 10:35 AM   #6  

Default Hey There

You know, I think when we are young and immature we have a certain image of ourselves. We are impressed by our peers and try to maintain what everybody thinks is beautiful. Now that we are " YOUNGER"( dislike older) we think that we should be the same. That is not going to happen. Gravity is a certain!! So is grey hair. We can fix that.. We need to change our self image and still understand we are still beautiful . We need to strive to stay healthy. Keeping our weight at a healthy level is part of that. I am one of the millions that constantly strives to feel and look ok. Our own self image is what is important. That is my view. Every day we all deal with life has given us.We are all different,but ,that is what it is supposed to be.Now I will jump off the soap box.
Meme- I agree with you..I think the general public makes too much of "diet" . I am trying to change my "stinking" thinking. In order to maintain good health we just have to adjust and know that we will go on that way endlessly...
When do you take your vacation?
Hello Ally.Anagram,Happy...I hope everyone has a fun weekend planned..............Joanne
Old 09-27-2003, 05:28 AM   #7  

Hi. My name is Xine (pronounced "Christine"), and this is my first post. I am a 45-year old female, weighing about 450 lbs. I also have FMS-MPS/CFIDS, amongst other things, which really complicates attaining any level of activity, since even just deepwater walking in the pool sets off my FMS-MPS and can lay me up for a couple of days to a few weeks. It's rather depressing and demoralizing, and I'm considering WLS at this point.

Unfortunately, I live in a cow town, and I'm on disabilty, so I do not receive the best medical care.

I guess I don't really have anything more to say right now; it's just very frustrating.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:32 AM   #8  

Good morning. It's the day of the fair and I have been awake since 3:45. Brad is going to help take the heavy boxes outside . It is not a very nice day but as long as it doesn't rain , we will be ok. I lost one and a half pounds. I was happy . We got another new member so that makes 2. Very nice ladies-we are all over 60!!!Way over. I am still reading my book-I won't say Dr. Phil's , Joanne, and I did some writing on my self image etc.,It sure has been affected by my health problems. I need to see myself in a more realistic light-I am going to join something nearby to swim twice a week. That's my best exercise. Joanne-good soapbox-good self-talk. Well, have a good weekend. Today is busy but fun!!Mima
Old 09-27-2003, 01:07 PM   #9  

Welcome to the fibro thread Xine. I, too, live in a 'cow town'. I have to go to Nashville to the Rheumatologist...long trip. Are you married? Have any children? How long have you had fibro? Fibro is really bad when you can't move about ... I know ... been semi-down with an ankle for a good bit now!

Joanne... vacation is next Sat. morning at 4a.m. I'll never make that trip... they'll have to carry me in the condo!!! (Or just leave me by the ocean once we get there!)

Gotta go try to 'hobble' my way through Wally World ... UGH!

(Made brownies last night ... big mistake!)
Old 09-27-2003, 03:20 PM   #10  

MEME, thanks for the welcome.

I'm divorced, with one child, but he's 22 now, so not quite a child.

I think I noticed the CFIDS before the fibro, in that I was so profoundly exhausted at times, and all of the doctors I saw said it was nothing -- in my head. This was when I was in my late 20's, but I didn't have any noticable fibro then. That started some time after I sprained my ankle badly in '89, but I had no idea what it was. It wasn't until my sister started talking about her fibro that I noticed we had the same symptoms and I started researching and went to my doc.

The only meds I've been given for it was amitryptiline (sp?), but it makes me sleep too much and I don't know what else is out there, so I just suffer through with pain pills and a massage of Tiger Balm when it's really bad.

I know my weight just exacerbates the situation, but without the ability to exercise, my options are quite limited.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:57 PM   #11  

Default Hey There

Mima- I hope that I didn't upset anyone with my "soap box"? I think that too much is made of age and diets and how we look as we get' younger' ,sometimes instead of good health..
Good weight loss.. I am about to fold sometimes but I only have 9 or so lbs to lose...Our group is small now ,but, I think it is because of summer... It is bound to get larger the closer we get to fall.
Xine- Have you concider getting into a support group for weight loss? Maybe you need to discuss your concerns about weight loss and good health with a Dr. who will show concern...
Welcome - we are here to help you if we can..You just spill it out whenever you need to..
Meme- Enjoy your vacation..
Hello everybody. I hope you are having a good weekend....Joanne
Old 09-28-2003, 02:33 AM   #12  

Amytriptyline puts me to sleep, too. I refuse to take it. Flexeril is pretty good ... I take a half once or twice a day ... also Aleve helps me quite a bit. I take the red and yellow coated ones, they don't hurt my stomach as bad as the blue ones. I find when I eat a lot of sugar I hurt worse. Does what you eat make a difference in how you feel? I know what you mean about being exhausted. My blood count is so low I'm always tired. I also have Rheumatoid and Osteo Arthritis and have been anemic since I was born. Have you ever heard of Oxycise? It's a breathing exercise program. Anybody can do it. I've had surgery on both knees and just had a shot in my ankle Monday so I can't walk much ... I can do Oxycise. You should look into it, You might like it!

www.oxycise.com

I've been trying to read Dr. Phil's book for over a week now but I just can't get into it. Must be something wrong with me!!! Maybe I just have too much on my mind right now! I think he has too forceful a personality to suit me!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 07:14 AM   #13  

Your right Meme-he does have a forceful personality. I have been reading one chapter at a time and doing the assessments. He does give a lot of strategies-that's what we need I think. And getting real and not being in denial about what gets us in trouble. Joanne-no apologizing-we have a right to our opinions and I thought yours were right on. By the way-the low carb bread is made by Arnold's, my daughter said. She bought it-9 carbs but 3 are from fiber. Craft fair went well but we didn't make as much money as last year and we have a lot of stuff left which we will sell at another time. But I had fun and I didn't overat or have the desire to. And met a lot of new people which I needed to do. I had a taco-3 merangue cookies and chicken, small baked potato, salad, tiny bread, and 1 cookie. That was all day and I did run around like crazy. Knee hurt like crazy-don't know what is going on with it but going to swim tonight at the hotel-after I shop. I'm only working one day-unusual!!!Welcome Xenia-Bye for now. Mima
Old 09-29-2003, 09:10 AM   #14  

Joanne, I guess I haven't considered that because I've been to so many diet group meetings, of all kinds, that I have developed a visceral reaction to them.

I'm not quite sure what to do at this point and I'm kind of still weighing my options, I guess.

Thank you for the welcomes, all. This seems like a really friendly board.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:45 PM   #15  

Default Hey There

Mima- Thanks .I think I have seen Arnold bread down here. I'll look it up.. I bought a real healthy dark wheat bread last week. My hubby has been feeding it to the squirrels and birds... He didn't like it . I haven't started eating bread yet.. I'll have to buy some...If I ate all that you had Mima I would have gained for sure..My system must be really slow to gain as fast as I do when I eat out... Fast food is off limits for me..And ,I love it!!
Xing... Groups have changed a lot in the past few years.. You might find one that will really help you..
I walked 3 miles today..
Hello everybody....Joanne
Closed Thread