Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default Doyou use a Fitbit? Dieting with Obstacles

I tend to love gadgets and I think I want a fitbit but I'm not really sure how useful it would be for me right not.

I had my knee replaced this year and it's still giving me problems in terms of mobility and my other knee needs to be replaced so I'm sort of limited in what I can do.

HOWEVER don't count me out because I love going to the gym. I use the pool 2 or 3 times a week. But since my knee is still giving me problems I think I may even have to curtail that

That being said I don't know if I can even do enough exercise to make the fitbit beneficial.

What I really need to work on is my dog gone snacking I'm terrible.

So please chime in if you're dieting with obstacles and have a fitbit and let me know how it's working for you.

Also what kind do you have I see there are lots of models.

Thanks in advance
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #2  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, I have a Fitbit charge that I bought on Amazon 7 weeks ago. I really like everything about it. I chose this model because it doesn't have the traditional buckle. It has a 2 snap closure & I planned to wear it around my ankle for total accuracy & the ChargeHR model is about $25-$35 more than mine & has a heart rate feature that I've read isn't completely accurate & will freak out some people when they keep looking at it & a friend who bought it said it can be uncomfortable with the heart rate tab pressing her wrist. I also bought a set of bands for $4 to securely keep my Fitbit on when I wear it on my wrist. So far I've only wore it on my wrist once.

How I wear it on my ankle is, I cut off the cuff of a few pairs of Dollar store knee high nylon socks & slit a 1/4" opening & slipped in my Fitbit to wear/read. This way I know my steps. & movements are totally accurate & I can wear it all the time regardless of other jewelry not matching or looking inappropriate. The only time I slip it off is to do the 1 hour charge weekly & to shower & to put it inside a fresh cuff. It is so comfortable on my ankle that I forget I'm wearing it. There is no way that wearing the ChargeHr, heart rate model would be comfortable on a ankle because of the big buckle, so I'm extremely happy with my choice.

I have a damaged right knee injury for over 15 yrs that my orthopaedic doctor says isn't ready for surgery. His main 2 activity restrictions for knee problems are to Not run/jog or use for walking a treadmill because the 'pounding movements' puts hundreds of pounds of pressure on the knee. He recommends building the quadriceps to strengthen the entire knees & bicycling on a stationary bike or outdoors, or knee strengthening exercise from a physical therapist, or physically walking outdoors where the surfaces change like in our yard or from the sidewalk taking a some steps onto the grass occasionally.

I love the dashboard on Fitbit much better than MyFitnessPal, but I still love using all the other features on MFP, they are a wonderful-healthy combination. I have friends that have Fitbits & their models are: 2 Flex, 2 Charge like mine, 2 clip style & 1ChargeHR. We are on the buddy list to chat, cheer each other. I enjoy how the dashboard teaches/shows me how my slow activity days & my food choices interact with my weight loss & my health.

Best Wishes with whatever model you decide to buy
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I have a FitBit HR and I really like it. Of course, like any of these gadgets, don't take them as gospel - I've worn my FitBit along with my Polar (chest-strap) heart-rate monitor just to see what the differences are and they were never really in sync. I just use that feature as a gauge, not as the "ultimate truth" and it's fine.

I have also checked the FitBit vs. a pedometer vs. my iPhone "step" feature and they were all pretty close to in-sync, so I think that feature it relatively accurate. Again, though, just to be used as a general guideline.

I've found that wearing it really does motivate me to walk more. But, I'm a super competitive person, so it works for me.

Years ago, I tried the FitBit that you just put in your pocket or clip to your belt or whatever and it was pretty terrible. I think I had to send it back 5-6 times and eventually gave up on it. It took me a few days to get used to the wrist strap w/ the HR on it, but now I don't even notice it anymore.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #4  

Default Waterproof

Oh they're not waterproof?I would like to wear mine in the pool which is where I do alot of my exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniDoodles View Post
Hi, I have a Fitbit charge that I bought on Amazon 7 weeks ago. I really like everything about it. I chose this model because it doesn't have the traditional buckle. It has a 2 snap closure & I planned to wear it around my ankle for total accuracy & the ChargeHR model is about $25-$35 more than mine & has a heart rate feature that I've read isn't completely accurate & will freak out some people when they keep looking at it & a friend who bought it said it can be uncomfortable with the heart rate tab pressing her wrist. I also bought a set of bands for $4 to securely keep my Fitbit on when I wear it on my wrist. So far I've only wore it on my wrist once.

How I wear it on my ankle is, I cut off the cuff of a few pairs of Dollar store knee high nylon socks & slit a 1/4" opening & slipped in my Fitbit to wear/read. This way I know my steps. & movements are totally accurate & I can wear it all the time regardless of other jewelry not matching or looking inappropriate. The only time I slip it off is to do the 1 hour charge weekly & to shower & to put it inside a fresh cuff. It is so comfortable on my ankle that I forget I'm wearing it. There is no way that wearing the ChargeHr, heart rate model would be comfortable on a ankle because of the big buckle, so I'm extremely happy with my choice.

I have a damaged right knee injury for over 15 yrs that my orthopaedic doctor says isn't ready for surgery. His main 2 activity restrictions for knee problems are to Not run/jog or use for walking a treadmill because the 'pounding movements' puts hundreds of pounds of pressure on the knee. He recommends building the quadriceps to strengthen the entire knees & bicycling on a stationary bike or outdoors, or knee strengthening exercise from a physical therapist, or physically walking outdoors where the surfaces change like in our yard or from the sidewalk taking a some steps onto the grass occasionally.

I love the dashboard on Fitbit much better than MyFitnessPal, but I still love using all the other features on MFP, they are a wonderful-healthy combination. I have friends that have Fitbits & their models are: 2 Flex, 2 Charge like mine, 2 clip style & 1ChargeHR. We are on the buddy list to chat, cheer each other. I enjoy how the dashboard teaches/shows me how my slow activity days & my food choices interact with my weight loss & my health.

Best Wishes with whatever model you decide to buy
Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #5  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

The reason why they are 'not waterproof' is because they need to be charged once a week for 1-2 hours & it has a place to connect the charging cord in the Fitbit back.
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

I have a Charge HR. I really like it. I have very little cartilage under my left kneecap. I am able to walk without pain. Two other things I can do are an elliptical and the recumbent exercise bike. For the bike I put my hand on my left while I bike so the Fitbit feels that movement.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The Fitbit Flex is water resistant, but not waterproof. You can google "waterproof fitness tracker" and fine ones that are recommended for swimming. Garmin has one for under $50.

I have a Fitbit One that clips on. I got that one because I didn't want something I had to wear on my wrist. I don't clip it on because I read where a lot of people lost theirs easily. I keep it in a little drawstring bag that came with some jewelry, and have it in my pocket. I like it and am very satisfied with it. There are some people who are very athletic and expect it to be 100% accurate. It is not, but lets your know how active you were each day and give you incentive to do more exercise.

I also have a FitbitZip that I bought new, still in the box, at Goodwill for $2. It is the very basic cheapest Fitbit, but if I ever lose my One or it breaks I will use the Zip instead of spending the money for a new one.

Walmart has less expensive off brand Fitness Trackers, and I also saw one advertised this week at Dollar General.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #8  

Default Obstacles

I still can't do an elliptical. They have something that is similar to it it's more like gliding I can do that for about 2 minutes I do like the recumbent bike. I just can't believe how limited to exercise I've become. But I won't quit.

There is a lady that comes to the gym she has to be late 70's early 80's and she does the ellipitical for 90 minutes. I just look at her in awe, and she does laps in the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
I have a Charge HR. I really like it. I have very little cartilage under my left kneecap. I am able to walk without pain. Two other things I can do are an elliptical and the recumbent exercise bike. For the bike I put my hand on my left while I bike so the Fitbit feels that movement.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #9  

That's how I feel about it I don't want to wear it on my wrist all the time. When I'm in the house II don't wear any jewelry or anythin on my arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
The Fitbit Flex is water resistant, but not waterproof. You can google "waterproof fitness tracker" and fine ones that are recommended for swimming. Garmin has one for under $50.

I have a Fitbit One that clips on. I got that one because I didn't want something I had to wear on my wrist. I don't clip it on because I read where a lot of people lost theirs easily. I keep it in a little drawstring bag that came with some jewelry, and have it in my pocket. I like it and am very satisfied with it. There are some people who are very athletic and expect it to be 100% accurate. It is not, but lets your know how active you were each day and give you incentive to do more exercise.

I also have a FitbitZip that I bought new, still in the box, at Goodwill for $2. It is the very basic cheapest Fitbit, but if I ever lose my One or it breaks I will use the Zip instead of spending the money for a new one.

Walmart has less expensive off brand Fitness Trackers, and I also saw one advertised this week at Dollar General.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 241/223.4/150

Height: 5'4"

I've had both a Flex and the Charge HR and while I liked the Flex and it helped me be more aware of the steps I was taking, calories burning etc I think my Charge HR gives a much more accurate depiction of just how hard I'm working and how many calories I'm burning. Plus I love that I can keep track of my food and water from the app.
FieryCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote