Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 05:38 PM   #1  

Default Hey There! Back Injury Recovery Support

Hi Ladies!

Pretty good day! Hotter than heck though....geez! Who wants to cook in this type of weather? On the plus side, have some chicken left over for tomorrow . Made it on the Rotiss. thinking that it wouldn't heat up the house as bad as an oven....

Back is bugging me though...kills a bit when I do dishes. Can't decide if it's just the back or bad posture. Anyone notice or have to consciously straighten up? It kind of tough for me because I'm 6'2....end up having to lean down a bit when I do some chores. Guess I need to marry an NBA player who can custom build the house for tall people .

Hope to hear from the doc tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed

Deb
Old 08-04-2003, 06:04 PM   #2  
Walking by faith

Angry Hi Everyone!

Deb: I hope you'll be getting a good report from your Doc. I have probs with doing dishes too, and I'm only 5'7" I have a wheelchair which I use mostly for getting around my kitchen area, and I can sit and do dishes or cook or get things out of the dryer w/o straining my back.

Joanne D You've been through an awful lot. Thank God they found that clot when they did. I belong to TOPS too. It's an excellent support group, and you're free to try whatever works (within reason). It's also a lot less expensive than anything else out there.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread. Having probs at home I'll be back when I can.

Stay healthy everyone!
Old 08-04-2003, 07:06 PM   #3  

Default Hey There

Young-Grasshopper, I think that they never get sinks the right hight for everyone. I have heard a lot of women complain about their backs hurting when the were at the sink. I know mine does sometimes.
Homebound- I like Tops too. My sister is the leader where I go. There are some nice ladies there.
Angel-Lover,I hope your week is going well.
Joanne
Old 08-05-2003, 11:47 PM   #4  

Hi All,

No news from the doc. Called early and sat by the phone all day...hate that! Trying to stick with the idea that no news is good news...okay, sticking my head in the sand but that's how I'm going to play it.

Homebound: Sorry to hear about all the trouble at home. Been following that on the 300 thread. Sounds like you have your hands full...just make sure you take time to take care of yourself.

Nice to know that I"m not the only one with dish/sink height trouble....now if I could only convince the family that I couldn't do anymore dishes. Somehow I don't think dishwashing challenged will fly with them.

Hope everyone had a good day!

Deb
Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #5  

Default Hey There

Grasshopper and all-I agree that no news is usually good news. But if you are still concerned after a week call and ask to speak to the nurse. They usually can give you a report. I have been sewing for the past couple days . I made my daughter a crochet bag to carry her work with her when she goes on her short trips. Her husband and her take off for weekends to camping spots or beachs. She teaches 2nd grade so those weekends are a good thing for her.
I walked yesterday and today..It was Hot Hot Hot. I am looking forward to cool weather.. Here in Florida that is about October.
I am hopping for a loss tomorrow..
Bye Stay well..Joanne
Old 08-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #6  

Hi everybody.....I've had a fair week. It's been very stormy, though. So, I've kept my computer unplugged a lot. I miss posting...but if computer got hit, there wouldn't be any at all!

Really nothing new to tell. It's still stormy today...so can't stay on long. Grasshopper...hope you hear good news soon.

Joanne, Homebound....take care. I'll check back when I can.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:26 PM   #7  

Hi All!

Heard from the doc but she couldn't really tell me much. Liver test still shows elevated levels but not as high as the last time they did that. Guess that's a good thing. Was supposed to see my reg. doc today but my car died AGAIN! Bought it in late May and it's died at least 7 times. Mechanic has no idea what it is....computer stuff. Geez. Think I'll name is Sybil.

My birthday is tommorrow. Will be 33. Love and hate birthdays....I'm chosing to look at it as a new beginnning.

Hope everyone stays cool. Been horrible here. Make sure to stay hydrated and watch the exercise in this heat. Always worry about that.

Deb
Old 08-07-2003, 04:07 PM   #8  

Default Hey There

Happy Birthday Grasshopper
God to be 33 again. Enjoy your day. Do something special for yourself.
I am off to my daughters for the weekend. She will be 47..
Cars have a way of dieing. I had one do that with 11 miles on it. I was really upset.Things have a way of getting better. I kept that one 11 years. It was nothing but trouble..I don't know when to give up..
Joanne
Old 08-07-2003, 04:24 PM   #9  

Grasshopper....one good reason to be on 2 threads....you get 2 happy birthday wishes!!

Hi Joanne....hope you enjoy your weekend at your daughters'....this is for her....
Old 08-08-2003, 08:09 PM   #10  

Thanks . Had a nice day! Went and had my first manicure..... I keep looking at my hands and smiling. Think I might use manicures as my treat to myself for having a good week OP.

Made another appointment at the doc's for tuesday. We'll see what he has to say....

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

Deb
Old 08-13-2003, 11:31 AM   #11  

I've got that virus on my cp...be back when I can.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:28 AM   #12  

Well...I'm finally back online!

Grasshopper...did you ever find out anymore about what's wrong with you? Hope you're ok.

Joanne...Hope you're doing good.

Homebound...hope all is better at home.

I'll check in later..take care.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:07 AM   #13  

Default Hey There

Goodmorning All- I am doing fine. IBS is just something to live with. I just have to be more careful with my diet.I knew that would be the diagnosis. I didn't spend all those years in nursing and not learn something.
I went walking yesterday. I felt my hands swelling. I looked down and found that I had lost a little ring. It was gold with a cameo. A patient gave it to me a number of years ago. As I had already walked 2 miles,I just told myself that she had dropped down from heaven to get it.We looked all over the house and in the trash. No luck. It was loose. I just don't know how it fell off without me knowing it.I hate to lose things. It upsets me for days. My hubby said forget it,it is gone.
Otherwise I am trying to have a good week. Hope you guys have the same...Joanne
Old 08-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #14  

Hi All!

Well, hope none of you were part of the big blackout. We just got service restored late last night. Thank God we have a pool! Was nice to see how everyone seemed to pull together in NY...especially NYC. Guess if 9/11 taught us anything it's to be good to others.

Went to my reg. doc a few days ago. Need to go in for a stress test to check my heart. I haven't told too many members of the family because I don't want them to worry. Nor do I want them giving me scarey diagnoses....Mom has a tendency to whip out horror medical stories. Doc told me to take childrens aspirin until I get the test done. Great.

Anyone had one of those done? I have a feeling that I'll want to pass out within a few minutes. I've started reading a book on obesity called Fat of the Land by Michael Fumato...or something like that. Seems pretty good....good way to motivate myself to drop the weight...still have time, thank God, to lose the weight and reverse some of the damage. Have to admit when they said 35 was the age that most women start to gain weight, and gravity starts to take over, it scared me. Cynical me sat looking down at her 33 yr old self and thought...."You mean it gets worse?"....lol.

Hope everyone is staying cool.....

Deb
Old 08-17-2003, 07:53 AM   #15  

Hi Hope all are doing well.

Grasshopper....we ARE back to back on two threads, aren't we?! Anyway, I just ask about your health on the other thread. I've had 3 or 4 stress tests. They're not so bad. I didn't mind the treadmill as much as I did lying on the table so still afterward. You lay with your arm up over your head (they make it comfy as possible) while a machine takes images of your heart. It takes awhile, so I got very tired. The treadmill gets very tiring, but at least it's over soon. They will speed it up a little at a time & put it on uphill slowly. You're suppose to stay on it as long as the duration of the test. Of course, sometimes people just can't hold out to do that. I never have....& nothing was found wrong, so don't jump to conclusions, if you can't. Oh, & you might expect to receive something intraveneously a little while before the test. I mostly just dread the time it's going to take up....a few hours...you get the imaging twice, if I remember right. I hope you get good results!

Joanne...sorry you have IBS. I know it could have been worse, but my twin daughters have that, so I know you do suffer. Take care of yourself. I've heard a low carb diet does wonders for IBS.
I really don't know. My daughters won't even think about that...since they're small & don't need to be on diet for weight loss. Must be nice!!

Homebound....come back when you can...you're missed!

I'll check back in later.

Closed Thread