3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   Dieting... With parents (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/300704-dieting-parents.html)

InhibitedINTJ 11-26-2014 09:46 PM

Dieting... With parents

No, I'm not dieting with my parents, rather dieting by my parents. My parents choose practically everything I eat (with the exception of the government-regulated school lunches).

My obsticle: Talking to them. Convincing them.
I explained a little bit in my introductary journal (See post here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/intr...-sick-all.html ).

If anyone has any advice on talking to their parents about dieting, please help me. I'm very, very bad at communicating ideas. I think things way to much, and when it's time to present, I jumble up and forget everything. I then wind up throwing the idea out of the window and changing the subject.

I can't do that now. I need to talk to them. I need them to change. Convincing my parents to spend an extra $3 a meal (+extra money for home-packaged lunches) is going to be extremely hard. I don't know if it'll be possible to tell them everything on my own.

When should the doctor come in? I'm trying to see if I could schedule an appointment for the doctor next week. I'm going to pass it off as an earache or something, this way I could see the doctor and ask to speak to him alone. What should I tell him? I want to go on a diet. But most diet's are strictly 18+ (I'm only 15!). The last time we went, He just suggested to eat more veggies.

Guess what? Nothing changed. The veggies recommendation? Lasted maybe a week before my parents went back to the same old routine. I need a much stronger plan. Maybe even something predetermined, Like the South Beach diet or Jenny Craig, but I don't think either is "kid friendly". (The term "Kid Friendly" disgusts and annoys me. I refuse to be labeled as just another kid. Believe me, I'm more "Mentally evolved", for lack of better term, then most of my peers. I can handle whatever life throws at me, even it means going on a liquid diet). Of course though, Liquid Diets are "unsafe", thus making them "non-kid-friendly". I'm not interested in a liquid diet, par say, but rather any diet. As long as I lose the weight (150lbs by September of next year), I'm willing to do any diet and exercise plan, no matter how rigorious. I just need to get my parents to see it the same way.

Losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise. I can do the 30% exercise on my own. I just need the ability to convice my parents to allow for me to do the other 70% (Holy run-on sentence).

Thanks for reading. Have a nice night (Happy Turkey Day to those who celebrate).

faiora 12-02-2014 12:40 PM

I'd like to clarify a few things:

1) What are your parents feeding you?
2) What makes you think your current diet is unhealthy?
3) What is stopping you from simply eating less of what your parents give you?
4) Do you think your parents' intentions are good?

Surely your parents want you to be healthy, which would be why they provide you with the diet they do. I'm not saying they're choosing the right foods, or that they're in the right for refusing to allow you to change your diet. But to me it sounds like you want to do something less healthy, because their approach is too moderate for you.

You have the ability to research healthy eating plans that provide the caloric deficit necessary to lose weight. And you have the means to find out a general estimate of how many calories you would need to consume to maintain your current weight (TEE - Total Energy Expenditure). While some other diet might be "better", you can work with ANY type of food to lose weight. You could lose weight eating chocolate bars if you really set your mind to it. It's all about calories in, calories out.

So here's my suggestion: Download MyFitnessPal to your smartphone (or log into the site if you don't use a smartphone). Start logging everything you eat every day. Then, start reducing the quantities of food you eat, and keep logging.

Log your exercise, too, but don't eat back the calories unless you want to (I always eat back calories, but you will probably lose faster if you don't).

Logging everything you eat will also give you something you can show to your doctor, to say "look, this is what I ate this week, and how can I make my diet healthier?" The doctor could also speak with your parents about your diet, if you request that.

----------------------------------

An aside:

Most of us at 3fc have had bad experiences with diets, and this is especially true for "extreme" diets like liquid diets, cabbage soup diets, and the like. Personally I've had success with less extreme diets, but like so many others, despite my success I've regained all the weight with interest. So to me, it almost physically hurts to see you saying you'll "do any diet and exercise plan, no matter how rigorious." Because I've been there, and I've done that, and it hasn't worked out well for me in the end.

It's tempting to think you're not like other people because you have a rare personality type and you have more self control than other people. But not everything is about self control.

Please, find a Way of Eating (WOE) that will work well for you indefinitely. Don't just power through it. It's not worth it.

AshliRose 12-05-2014 01:31 PM

Hello InhibitedINTJ,

Congratulations on wanting to change your life! 15? Awesome!

I like what faiora had to say. It's so true. That's why most of us are here. We have done all those fad diets, fasts, low-fat, low-carb, etc. I'm 55 and always had a weight problem as a child and teenager. I have been yo-yo dieting ever since! Never works. I always gained the weight back. At 25 I discovered exercise. Can you believe I never exercised? I hated P.E. in school. Never went hiking or bike riding. HELLO....no wonder I was unhealthy!

Even though I've heard "change your lifestyle" all my life, that never stuck! I'm just now learning that I need to change my BEHAVIORS. I need to unlearn what I was taught as a child and work on the emotional reasons for eating and gaining weight.

Whatever you do, take it slow and know that good things take time but you will get there one day at a time. Be patient, give yourself pats on the back and don't beat yourself up if you are not perfect and slip up.

Hope to hear back and look forward to following your journey!