Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 06:39 PM   #1  

Default Hey There - Backs in rehab! Back Injury Recovery

LOL...How's that for a title? Just starting a new thread because "Hey There" was getting so long.

Deb
Old 07-26-2003, 07:58 PM   #2  

Hi Grasshopper & Joanne...

Grasshopper....you did good! We can't complain that we can't see the thread title!

Ummmm.....look down....farther down....at bottom of my post. There are a few little squares....one says "website"......hehe....just click on it! Don't forget to sign my guestbook. It takes a minute for my picture to come up...if you want to see how ugly I am. LOL

For my bigger Christian website I was talking about click here....
http:www.charlotteborden.tvheaven.com

It would be nice for you to make a homepage. They're easy, & lots of places are free. Mine are.

I'll check back in on you later. Take care.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:14 AM   #3  

Default Hey There

Young-Grasshopper- You did better than I . I messed up good. I hope you back is better soon. I have had back problems since I was a teenager. That is a long time ago. I found that when I started walking that my back was stronger and I have less pain. I haven' t walked as much lately for one reason or another(whine,whine)and I have a difficult time even walking straight for a few hours in the am.
Hello Angel-Lover- I went to your site but I forgot to sign in on your site. You are a pretty young lady. I don't have a scanner or I would be learning how to do some of those things.
Bye...Joanne
Old 07-28-2003, 08:22 PM   #4  

Angry Hi

Hi Joanne, Angel and Grasshopper.

Back pain is no picnic that is for sure. Have had more than my share of it over the past 30 years. Had back surgery 20 years ago, and now have developed Facet Joint Disease and Degenerative Disc Disease. Through in Fibromyalgia and we are having a real party going on

Joanne - I hope that you are soon going to be able to walk your walk again.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:22 PM   #5  

Hi All!

Not much to report today....REALLY tired! Not sure why either...just slept alot the last day or so. Think I might need more iron in my diet or something. Can't even blame it on back meds....at least that's doing okay! Knock on wood!!!!!!!

Nice to see you Canuck! Hmmmm, and here I thought the surg. might fix all the back problems - I can dream can't I? That still sits in the back of my mind but Doc's have said I'm too young. Got to do my PT and drop some weight.....so easy to say so hard to do!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Deb
Old 07-29-2003, 09:27 AM   #6  

Default Hey There

Good Morning Happy,Angel-Lover and Grasshopper,
I plan on getting control of my life again as soon as Wednesday is over. The arthritis is much better when I stay with my routine. .Today and tomorrow are not going to be the most comfortable ones this week. But what the heck, I'm strong..
I hope you guys are feeling better. See you on Thrusday....Joanne
Old 07-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #7  

Hello Ladies.
Hope all are having a good day, today. I took my step-dad back to dr today....all is well. Just kinda taking it easy this evening.

Joanne...I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Yes, I'm sure you're tough, but tests aren't any fun. Hang in there!

Deb...hope you're feeling better. I know all about back problems & being tired. This RA keeps me fatigued all the time.

Hi Happy Canuk.....Sorry you've had so many problems with your health. Goodness, I'm glad we can come in here & talk & feel like someone really understands!

I'll check in later....
Old 07-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies,

Not as tired today as yesterday...back is bugging me though...STILL!!! Grrrrr! I'm walking around like I'm 15 mths pregnant. Just can't seem to walk straight....have to make a cons. effort. I'm too young to be feeling like this!!!!!!!!!!!

Deb
Old 07-29-2003, 04:30 PM   #9  
Walking by faith

Post Hello everyone

Angel, Joanne, Deb, & Happy:

I'm glad to have found this thread. I've had problems off and on with my back since I was a kid. I had back surgery 2 years ago (triple laminectomy) and I've been diagnosed with DDD, as well as Cauda Equina Syndrome. The CES has left me with a partially paralyzed right leg, and loss of sensation in my genital area, my buttocks, and both feet. I'm getting around o.k. with a leg brace and a forearm-style crutch. I do have problems with pain, but it's more in my leg and foot than in my back. I'm taking Neurontin and a muscle relaxer. Sometimes at night I take Darvocet, but only if the pain is bad.

Joanne: I've had the colonoscopy before. I think that the worst part is drinking "the stuff" and having to stay near the potty
The procedure itself is o.k. The drugs make it easy!

Angel: Your posts are always so beautifully illustrated-and you're doing great with your weight loss.

What are you ladies doing for exercise? Anything else besides walking? Because of my paralysis, walking isn't really an option for weight loss I'm still working on once around Wal Mart!

Bye for now!
(P.S. I'm Joanne B)
Old 07-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #10  

Homebound!! I talked with you quite a while back on another thread. So glad you've joined us! We all understand what pain is & can relate with you.

Thanks for the notice on weight loss. I can't exercise due to back problems & RA. Not at all. So, I'm having to lose the hard way. But, I'm being patient...& it IS coming off.

I had a double laminectomy in my neck a few yrs ago, due to spasms in my back. It helped....but my neck bothers me once in awhile. I have a donor bone & a metal plate. I haven't given in for lower back surgery. The RA started in about a yr ago. Went through my body with a vengance. I'm already on Methotrexate (form of chemo) on Monday nights & Remicade treatments (2hr intraveneous) every 7 weeks. Life can be scarey, as well as aggravating sometimes. We gotta keep going though. I'm not giving up. I've got too much I want to do!

Although I can't exercise, I try to stay active. Just have to stop very often & rest. You can lose weight, if you really stay with a plan & drink lots of water. I just watch my calories & carbs. I don't deprive myself of something I really want, though, or I'll end up eating too much!!

Keep us posted how you're doing!

Last edited by Angel-lover; 07-29-2003 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:21 PM   #11  

Hi All!

Welcome Homebound! Nice of you to join us! I've got a slipped disk and a bulging disk in my back. No surg yet...thank God...but rehab has been tough. Hard to do what I'm supposed to be doing...i.e. some exercises to strength lower back and stomach muscles and lose weight.

Doc also wanted me to take water walking classes at the local YMCA. You might look into them. Can't say that I ever went though.

Me? Back is still buggin me and find that I'm sleeping ALOT. Can't seem to stay awake really. Think that it's a combination of the meds and allergy medication. Not good. Hope to be better in a couple of days.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Deb
Old 07-31-2003, 09:26 AM   #12  

Default Hey There

Grasshopper -Angel -Lover
The prep was much worse than the exam.I was waiting for the shot that put me to sleep for about 30 minutes. Now we need to find out what is the cause of the pain .Irritated stomach was all they told me and then put me on a expensive med that my insurance won't cover. I know the pain is in my abdomen and not my head.
Welcome Homebound..
I hope everyone is doing well today...Joanne
Old 07-31-2003, 12:57 PM   #13  

Hi Joanne, Grasshopper, Homebound, Happy Canuk

Hope you all are having a good day. Sounds like a painful one...I'm sorry. I'm feeling fairly good these days. Of course, not great...but have been a LOT worse.

Joanne...glad the test is over for you. My twin daughters have what the dr calls irritable stomachs. (also, after colonoscopies) They have such pain sometimes, it's all they can do to stand it. I guess it's possible for that to be the diagnosis. They couldn't afford any medication, so they have to be very careful what they eat, like pizza, etc. & especially no caffeine....it's a real killer! They take pepto bismol everywhere they go, & also, have to stay close to a bathroom. I feel so sorry for them. They've been this way for quite awhile now. I hope you can get some relief soon....& an answer. Keep us posted.

Young Grasshopper....Sorry about you not feeling better. Get some rest....take care of yourself.

Homebound & Happy Canuk...Hope you're doing better today. I'll check in later.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #14  

Angel, are you speaking about Irritable Bowel Syndrome? What helped me a great deal, was the low carb diet. Carbs don't digest well and tend to irritate the bowel. It is so good to be free of this.

I had one very painful experience in the lower quarter of the left side. Couldn't even stand up, the pain was so intense. Had a few tests done and everything was clear, so it was diagnosed as IBS (although I had been diagosed with this years before). Got some kind of pill that really helped. Took it for a few years when the pain would start until finally I just started taking Immodium. Now, it is very seldom I have a problem unless I eat the wrong thing. Sugar and coffee are bit culprits, along with wheat. If they have not tried the low carb diet they might want to just to see how it works for them. It sure was my life saver.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:35 PM   #15  

Hi....I'm not sure that's what it is, but I suspicion that it is. I was out of town helping another daughter with a newborn when one of the twins had the tests, so don't know just what the dr said. The other twin was in Oklahoma....(I'm in Alabama), when she had her tests. They have always had the same illnesses, all their life! They just called it irritable stomach. I've done a lot of reading & studying on it, & feel like it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I haven't found anything to advise them for help, though. Thanks so much. I'll tell them what you said & see if they'll try it. Although they're 34 yrs old, they're not very well disciplined when it comes to staying on a certain kind of diet though. I was really surprised when they cut out the caffeine! I know they sure do have painful episodes, though. I appreciate it so much.
Closed Thread