Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #1  
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 145/ 135

Height: 5 ft 3inches

Question Celiac Disease and being overweight;

I know that when you think of Celiac disease you think of thin and wasted. But I am here to tell you I am struggling with my weight, and I have Celiac disease. It is hard sometimes because the calorie / carb count of non gluten food is a little higher then their wheat counterparts. And the products cost twice as much. Does anyone who has a gluten intolerance have any tips or suggestions? Mine is this, I try to eat a calorie restricted low carb diet. I treat the non gluten goodies to once in a great while. I try to eat as clean as is possible. I try to keep my calorie count to 1500, and my carbs under 25 for the most part. So far it seems to work. I also have to eliminate dairy. I know there is alot of hype against soy, but so far it has served me well. I just thought this condition needed to be explored
jmh6251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:26 AM   #2  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

My mum was diagnosed with celiac disease not to long ago and I probably need to be tested too. My mum is the thin type of person with celiac. She eats very little processed food so it wasn't hard for her as it would be for others. She simply cut out the carby foods with gluten. For instance she has fruit and yoghurt for breakfast and a salad with meat and vegetables for lunch. There isn't a lot of fast food you can eat when eliminating gluten and dairy at the same time, which is both a good and bad thing lol.
My husband has diabetes and he has to cut out a lot of food with carbs. So that made cooking interesting at home. I also have to be careful with dairy because I'm lactose intolerant, which is another problem my family has. I could give you advice on that but it depends on the reason you have to avoid dairy.
Some people have problems with soy if they have thyroid issues or pcos I think. Other than that you should be fine to eat soy. I had some soy products before. I didn't particular like the milk but I didn't mind the cheeses or the yoghurt. One thing you have to be careful about with soy cheese is that sometimes they put dairy protein in it (I can't remember what it's called).
When having milk I tend to use almond milk because it tastes better than soy milk but the problem is that it lacks protein, so if you can put up with soy milk then that's better.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #3  
jmhwis50

They do all sorts of things to alternative dairy. There favorite trick is to put whey protein in it. Whey and I are at odds with each other, since I am allergic to it. I've never had a problem with soy, I get the Silk Unsweetened. I'm glad your mom found a way to cope. Each of us with Celiac has to find out what works for our individual needs. Dairy gives me the hives, sharp shooting pains in my face, and i can't breathe.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I don't rely on many gluten-free items at the store, because they're ridiculously pricey. Instead of using corn or brown rice noodles, try zucchini noodles, broccoli slaw, or spaghetti squash. Instead of bread or buns, wrap your sandwiches and burgers in lettuce or greens.

I keep corn chex breadcrumbs on hand in my pantry for making meatballs and nuggets.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I buy one loaf of GF bread a month made by a local lady with celiac disease. It is Onion & Cheese bread and is great toasted for a treat for breakfast once in a while. I never buy GF baking mixes for cookies or cakes, etc. I just don't need that junk. My hubby will make us gluten free waffles once or twice a month. Many people with Celiac disease are also dairy sensitive not just to the lactose but the casein (milk protein). I do a low carb, normal protein and slightly higher fat diet as maintenance. I keep my carbs between 100-125g a day. For me that's low enough to keep my maintenance weight without a problem. My carbs are mainly vegetables, grains like quinoa & brown rice, beans, and fruit. I eat yogourt and cheeses but no milk; since the sugars are predigested in cheese & yogourt they don't give me a problem. I also use vegan protein powders without soy for meal additions or a protein snack once in a while.
Being gluten free has made a HUGE difference in how my Fibromyalgia affects me. It substantially reduces my pain & fatigue and sleep disorder problems. If I get inadvertently glutened, I suffer with major joint pain, GI issues, and asthma and skin rashes for at least a week after.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #6  
jmhwis50

I was diagnosed in 1994, so have had time to get used to the limitations. I don't do alot of glutenfree bread because the carbs are so high, and like you said it is expensive. I really am sensitive to carbs, to the point where I eat as few as possible. That is why I like your Lettuce leaf sandwich idea, and the veggie noodles. Pasta is really high in carbs. That also helps keep the calories in check. I do cabbage noodles sometimes and it has worked out fine. I did a mac and "cheese" bake, the cheese was soy, and it turned out good. My tummy is finally happy on less food and regular portions. I've been at this since April, I used to get really hungry and headachey between meals, not any more except once in awhile. It's a process
Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/281.2/145

Height: 5'9/1.75m

Check and see if you can meet with a dietitian. My insurance covers it because I have celiac. Mine is AMAZING, and has given me lots of new ideas.
Adorkable Witch is offline   Reply With Quote