Anyone have TMJ?

• i'm experiencing some weird symptoms and want to know if TMJ could be involved (slight numbness on one side of face, muscle twitching around eyes when trying to smile..i know it's not Bells Palsy, etc.)
  • Those aren't the symptoms of TMJ that I have, personally (headaches mostly, jaw soreness, clenching my jaw), but it couldn't hurt to see a dentist, especially if you haven't been yet this year and need a cleaning anyway!

I had headaches for years that I went to many different doctors to figure out what was going on, neurologist and MRIs included. I mentioned it after two years of that to the dentist and he knew what it was instantly and made me a mouth guard, immediately solving the problem. But it couldn't hurt to also see a GP about it, too, as those symptoms don't personally ring a bell as TMJ.

Tip: Try sticking your tongue between your teeth when you get those symptoms to prevent you from clenching your jaw. See if that relieves any of the symptoms. That might be a clue that it's TMJ.
  • doesn't sound like TMJ to me. with mine the pain is severe.
    hope you get an answer soon!
    Judi