Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Synthyroid coming

Hi all, new here. I had a partial thyroidectomy 4 years ago and tomorrow the other half is coming out. I have possible cancerous growths and I think my thyroid is just not working. I have been 160 lbs for several years now and simply cannot lose weight.I have always been active and a healthy eater. Finally I did a test over the last four months. For 2 months I ate EVERYTHING I wanted to, the good the bad and the ugly. I did not gain a single pound. Then for 2 months, I juiced, at an 85% raw diet, followed good food combinations etc and did not lose a pound. Saw my surgeon today for my pre-op appt and he agrees that the thyroid is not working. I have been researching the med that he is going to start me on Synthyroid and frankly I am terrified at what I am reading. Weight gains of 50 + lbs, hair loss, fatigue, downward emotions etc. Does this seem to be the majority of how people react to this particular medication? A little worried here. The last time I went on a med for menstrual cycle issues, I gained 30 lbs and just felt terrible about myself and it took 2+ years on weight watchers to get to my current 160 that I have been at for at least four years now. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
EnchantedFarmerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #2  
Never give up

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi! I've been on Synthroid since August 2013, and had a total thyroidectomy April 2013. I didn't react that way at all to the medicine. I had the 50+ lbs of weight gain and the brittle hair and nails before I was diagnosed as Hypothyroid. Since starting Synthroid, I haven't gained any more weight and have actually lost 10 lbs since my surgery without changing anything. I am only now starting to seriously change my eating habits and develop an exercise routine.

The main thing is to make sure that you keep your hormones at the proper level, which can be pretty difficult. I would recommend going in for blood work every 2-3 months until both your hormone levels and symptoms are staying under control.

The main thing I have learned is DON'T settle for your doctor telling you everything looks good if you're still feeling off! Normal is definitely not the same for everyone. I tend to feel best when my TSH is between 1.0-1.5, but you may need to be either lower or higher to feel your best. Good luck!
dare 2 dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #3  

Default Thyroidectomy-Hashimoto's/Thyroiditis

I was diagnosed in 99' with Hashimoto's/Thyroiditis. Was on Levoxyl till last year. I had a total thyroidectomy in 2009. Ever since then my weight has crept up and up and up until..well...I decided NO MORE. I've been on Synthroid for over a year now when Levoxyl got taken off shelves. I've struggled with weight issues forever and it's just hard losing weight but CAN BE DONE . Just keep getting your tsh, t3 and t4 checked during your weight loss.

During my weight gain since 2009, I've also gone through some major life changes and issues that havn't helped me, that along with severe depression that went along with these life changes. So now I'm eating right, exercising and going to my Dr regularly.

It is an obstacle though because we rely on a pill for our metabolism....But like I said can be done.

We can do it!!! We can!!! Hang in there!!!
wildflower6991 is offline   Reply With Quote