Back muscle spasms

• Hi,

Does anyone else here get back muscle spasms? I saw a sports medicine orthopedist yesterday who says I have arthritis in my back. It has felt like a knife was being stabbed and twisted in my upper right part of my back since Friday. The spasms are worst at night, I am on an oral steroid and I have a muscle relaxant prescription. Nothing seems to really work. Tomorrow I am getting a 1/2 hour massage, the doc said that massage may help. I don't know if I should try chiropractic again?

I appreciate all replies, thanks.

Amy
  • I hope your massage was productive. I get back pain too, mostly lower and mid back. Steroids are a pain because from what I remember, I think its difficult to loose weight while on them BUT dealing with back pain should be a priority.

I get massages on a regular basis. 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. It gives the massage therapist time to work on the problem areas. I am not wealthy by any means but they do have "chain" massage stores that sell memberships for as low as $50.00 a month that will get you 1 massage a month and additional ones are cheaper than that. I can avoid all meds if i treat myself to a massage on a regular basis.

Try a Chiropractor. I also got great relief with an accupuncturist. I respect and appreciate Doctors and Surgeons but I also prefer to get opinions from professionals that will treat this type of issue in a more natural or holistic way so that I am not dependent on pain pills the rest of my life.

Good luck to you and I hope you great some relief soon!!!!
  • I've gotten pretty bad back pain that my doctor believes are either sprains or spasms. They have given me a muscle relaxant and some pretty strong painkillers in the past.

It has happened once a year for the last three years. I'm in discomfort/pain for about weeks to as long as months. I have gone to a chiropractor, but that hasn't really helped. I am starting Yoga cause my doctor said that might help strengthen my back. mizjenni is right, an accupuncturist might be someone to see.
  • Thank you both for replying!

I called my ortho doc last night on call because the pain was very strong. He said to do some stretches, try physical therapy and he prescribed a muscle relaxant. I would like to go back to my chiropractor but I don't think that I'll have time to go both to physical therapy and chiropractic.

There is an acupuncturist near me, I don't know what they charge. I will think about it. Thank you for your advice. Take care.
  • This may sound a little weird seabiscuit, but in addition to the above suggestions, try putting a tennis ball in a tube sock, fling it over your shoulder and press your back into a wall with the sock ball in between you and the wall. Move around until the ball is positioned over the trigger point(s) and press until the pain subsides a bit. Hit as many trigger points as you can. You may be a bit sore in that area the next day, but the actual deep pain will likely be lessened. Also, resist the temptation to limit your movements - moving and stretching the back muscles that are in spasm will help a lot more.
    Good luck to you!
  • All these tinny details are made with lot of backgound knowledge. You efforts to provide us so nice and useful information are pretty good.