Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #61  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Hi JesikaBeth!

Yes, that continuum of enjoyment (or lack thereof) with our foods is definitely a thing! I guess because we are so sensitive to tastes and textures, and it's human nature to seek optimal comfort. I did a blog post (link to my blog below) back in May about "Quantities, Rituals and Particulars" regarding foods which is somewhat relevant to this, and I have some other posts in the pipeline about how our comfort foods mean a lot to us, the various levels of pleasure or displeasure we seek, how much displeasure would be a deal breaker, and so on.

I recently had my third abdominal surgery to repair recurring hernias. This was a departure from my first two outpatient laparascopic repairs with mesh. It was an actual reconstruction of the abdominal wall, with some fat and skin taken too. The closest I will come to a tummy tuck that Medicare will cover. And it feels great - but I know now that I must get serious about my weight so that I don't expand and ruin it either aesthetically or worse yet, medically and be in a world of hurt.

So I'm making changes in my diet and starting to see some pounds coming off. Thankfully, I do have a range of foods that I can eat, even some salads and vegetables - I just have to sway it away from my former diet of mostly starches and dairy. I try to be calm and just enjoy the food as a change from a diet that even I was getting a little bored with. It's been easy when I've just been home recuperating, have had time to cook, etc. Taking it on the road as I become more active will be the next challenge!

If nothing else, I will halve portions - shrinking my stomach and consuming less total of everything, calories, fat, carbs, etc. - and have leftovers for another meal at home, which with my limited budget can only help.
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #62  

Height: 5'5"

It was so enlightening to read through this thread. I have always felt shame for the level of discomfort I have with some foods. I watch people eating hamburgers with all those condiments in wonder (as long as it's from a distance, as the smell makes me gag), and just can't believe when people take a big bite of soup without even examining it to figure out what all those chunks are. I almost always prefer my foods to be "separate." I can enjoy tomatoes, but not tomatoes on a hamburger or in a salad, for instance.

I am really working on moving toward enjoying more foods, but it is a lifelong experience. There is nothing I hate more than food-related job interviews or business lunches. Ugh. Why add that level of stress to an already-stressful experience?

Thank you for the post and the blog to help me feel less odd. Thank you also for the useful information.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #63  
Viva Cristo Rey!

LaurieDawn, you are so welcome! It's something only those with the condition understand, pretty much. I'm in my 50s and I still order my burgers plain! I can do barbecue sauce, that's my one condiment, and I am okay with a piece of lettuce if it comes with it (woo hoo, my vegetable for the day, LOL!). So I can order a plain burger, cheeseburger or bacon cheeseburger and a cup of BBQ, and dress it myself.

Soup - not a fan, for the reasons you delineated. To me chicken noodle soup should contain chicken + noodles. Vegetable soup and similar, just nope. Like you, I watch in wonder as people shovel in spoonfuls without any inspection of contents and are obviously enjoying it. Chunky sauces are out as well.

Vegetables themselves are something I can come to terms with if left to my own devices. I might nibble raw carrots or some lettuce and spinach in a salad. Spinach alfredo pizza or pasta is okay if it's not too high a percentage of spinach. Some of these things though are obviously high in the fattening components so I'd have to have small portions.

That's going to be one of my big things in this new way of eating (I don't like the word "diet" - I "dieted" from age 9, messed up my metabolism, and thinking "I'm on a diet" messes with my head). Portion control - that I can do, and have started to do. Being open to including a bit more of the things I can eat but don't gravitate toward is another. I plan to compile a blog post about this whole transition soon.

So glad that my post earlier today connected with a fellow picky eater so quickly! #thestruggleisreal Hang in there!
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have never been a picky eater. I am usually one who will eat just about anything and always trying new foods. Lately though, I have come to realize that I am becoming more selective. There are certain foods that I prefer over others, I just eat the others because that's what's there. KWIM? I want to continue this way and choose to eat the things I really love, rather than filling up on foods that are just OK. It is selective, rather than picky.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #65  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

I am a very picky eater. I've gotten a lot better with it, but still quite picky. I also have Celiac Disease (I cannot eat anything with gluten) so that makes it even harder...

Being a picky eater is definitely a challenge I'll tell ya !! Thank you for this thread, I think it will be helpful
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #66  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

LOL I apparently had already replied to this thread
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote