Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #46  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Default I've been gone awhile - Is anyone still interested in this topic?

Just thought I'd check. I've been reading a book, Suffering Succotash, by Stephanie Lucianovic, about picky eating. It's interesting. Reading it reminded me of this board and the posts I made about the subject. Maybe there are some others who want to chat about it too. Hopefully no one being judgmental towards picky eaters, that's uncalled for, IMO.
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyminnie Wannabe View Post
Just thought I'd check. I've been reading a book, Suffering Succotash, by Stephanie Lucianovic, about picky eating. It's interesting. Reading it reminded me of this board and the posts I made about the subject. Maybe there are some others who want to chat about it too. Hopefully no one being judgmental towards picky eaters, that's uncalled for, IMO.

I am NOT a picky eater. I will eat most things and try anything new, but I do have preferences. My husband is a VERY picky eater. It makes things really difficult. There are about 5 meals I can cook for him.

I heard that it has something to do with your taste buds. People who are picky eaters have more sensitive taste buds than others.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

yes, I am a picky eater and I wish I wasn't!!
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #49  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I am NOT a picky eater. I will eat most things and try anything new, but I do have preferences. My husband is a VERY picky eater. It makes things really difficult. There are about 5 meals I can cook for him.

I heard that it has something to do with your taste buds. People who are picky eaters have more sensitive taste buds than others.
You are correct - it is a sensory thing. Bitter tastes are usually stronger in a picky eater. Textures are also a significant issue for many of us. I can see how it would be difficult in a marriage or parenting. I'm single with no kids so I can usually have what I'm comfortable with foodwise, and if I feel daring enough to try a new food, I can do it in privacy, which makes it less nerve-racking. Social settings can be okay or slightly challenging or nightmarish for me.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 165/155/120

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I am a picky eater.

I can't stand seafood and most meat. I've had people I've told that I don't like salmon serve me salmon and then they angrily say "You didn't touch your fish!". Yes, I did not. Some vegetables make me cringe, too. Am I the only one on the planet who doesn't like bacon?

Also, I need certain foods hot and others cold. It sort of sucks going to restaurants with friends, I feel like a weirdo.
pinksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #51  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksunshine View Post
Yes, I am a picky eater.

I can't stand seafood and most meat. I've had people I've told that I don't like salmon serve me salmon and then they angrily say "You didn't touch your fish!". Yes, I did not. Some vegetables make me cringe, too. Am I the only one on the planet who doesn't like bacon?

Also, I need certain foods hot and others cold. It sort of sucks going to restaurants with friends, I feel like a weirdo.
I understand. Bacon I do like, but I'm kind of afraid to let myself get started eating it because of the fat content. Salmon - I tried. And then after realizing how slow and cautious I was being, taking teensy bites and trying not to taste it, I thought, "Why am I putting myself through this? I hate this stuff!" So I just admitted it to the person who was serving it to me (who is an excellent cook, and the salmon was of good quality, which is why I thought maybe I could get to like it, but I couldn't).

I've been posting in the "veggie challenged" thread but sometimes I'm getting mixed results there - I feel like a misfit even on this board sometimes. I think I'm going to have to do what I've been wanting to do and start a blog - though I don't have time at the moment, but at the first opportunity.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 238/238/143

Height: 5.2

Hiya. You're not alone with picky eating. Its one of the reasons I find it hard to lose weight. I can't eat veg. I don't mean won't. The very sight and smell of it makes me feel sick. I don't like anything with bits, or fur (peaches etc) and nothing with faces (so fish are a no no). I don't like potatoes, fruit gives me indigestion and makes my blood sugar go crazy. I can't eat lamb and it has to be exactly the right cut and cooked the right way for me to eat pork. Why I am overweight, you ask?

Cola. As simple as that.

ruthieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #53  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthieb View Post
Hiya. You're not alone with picky eating. Its one of the reasons I find it hard to lose weight. I can't eat veg. I don't mean won't. The very sight and smell of it makes me feel sick. I don't like anything with bits, or fur (peaches etc) and nothing with faces (so fish are a no no). I don't like potatoes, fruit gives me indigestion and makes my blood sugar go crazy. I can't eat lamb and it has to be exactly the right cut and cooked the right way for me to eat pork. Why I am overweight, you ask?

Cola. As simple as that.

Greetings from "across the pond"! I understand. I've gotten used to some vegetables, prepared in specified ways. But I don't habitually eat vegetables like "normal" people. I've had to deal with IBS this year also, and learn what triggers set that off.

If you can start to gradually cut back on the cola and try unsweetened tea or water - it'll be a long process, I know, but it's doable - that will help get that extra sugar out of the way. Do you like a few fruits or fruit juices? I've found this a gateway to making fruit smoothies, and green juice or puree' can be incorporated in to get those nutrients while disguising the taste.

Don't push yourself too hard or you'll burn out. We who are picky need to be gentle with ourselves, yet if on occasion we feel daring, go ahead and take advantage of that mood, and experiment with a new food in a safe setting (while home alone so no one will pressure or make fun of us). For a new food, pick something that is close to something you do eat. More chance of success that way.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #54  

I too am a very picky eater. I hesitate to try new foods because I am afraid they will taste weird and make me "sick".. My husband is always amazed if I try some new dish at a restaurant. It is like some kind of MIB moment for him! For example, I would love to try eggplant because it looks so pretty, but I am just afraid to take that step. I wish I were more adventurous, but I'm not. I can totally relate!
ahmedayad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #55  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedayad View Post
I too am a very picky eater. I hesitate to try new foods because I am afraid they will taste weird and make me "sick".. My husband is always amazed if I try some new dish at a restaurant. It is like some kind of MIB moment for him! For example, I would love to try eggplant because it looks so pretty, but I am just afraid to take that step. I wish I were more adventurous, but I'm not. I can totally relate!
Hi, don't know if you're still around, but I wanted to offer my support and encouragement to you, and to anyone else who might see this thread in future.

I'd like to point out that there is now an official DSM diagnosis for us picky eaters, which may or may not get the haters off our backs, but it is bringing more attention to the problem and therefore more people are working on solutions. Here's one reference, just as an example: http://eatingdisordersreview.com/nl/nl_edr_24_3_1.html

There is some evidence that picky eating may be thought of as "food PTSD" in some cases. A child may have had a gagging incident or something that is far back in infancy or toddlerhood, not recalled by child or even parent, but that causes the person to reject foods associated with the traumatic event.

There are also coming to be Facebook groups for adult picky eaters after the PEAs board run by Bob Krause had to be scrapped due to excessive spamming. How I would like to give those spammers a piece of my mind for ruining my source of support! Also, PEAs still has its Yahoo group but I didn't do much with it because I prefer structure of forums rather than linear feeds and emails. They've also got a Facebook group starting up. There are Facebook groups started by others as well. Bottom line, after a dearth of resources on this for two or three years, there are now places we picky eaters can go and support and help one another.

Mealtime Hostage is a good blog as well. They are geared to parents and children but also have some good things adults can relate to and make use of: http://mealtimehostage.com/

The one "drawback" I've found, and I'm sure it will be rectified in time - in fact, I am committed to helping see that it is, is the following, which I'm going to put in boldface because it's so critical:

Most of the new awareness of SED/ARFID is great but is often geared toward children and adults who are underweight due to their limited food intake. This is understandable as starvation is not a good thing for anyone, particularly children whose bodies and brains need good nutrients at crucial developmental stages.

But we who are adults with picky eating and have become overweight because we feel safe eating "beige foods" that are often high in fats and carbs, and who don't do well with vegetables and in some cases meats or other proteins, have our health issues too - or are ticking time bombs for developing them. Surely awareness needs to be raised for our struggles so we can avoid this fate, or reverse it if we're already suffering illness related to our food issues.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #56  

I'm the queen of picky eaters

For example I don't eat carrots, pig and cereal

Those three foods just have a texture that I truly despise.
Camilla76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #57  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Checking in on any picky eaters who may be around. Always glad to swap war stories and offer support. The issue is finally trending more and more. PEs are coming out and educating the public about our experiences. We will not have to feel alone, silenced and shamed, because now we can connect with one another.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #58  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone, I am new here and so far I am happy I signed up to this forum.
I can relate to this post, I am picky eater my self, i dont even eat beef and just selected vegs.
clover_nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #59  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Hi, clover_nev! I'm still here fighting the good fight for us picky eaters. It is not easy to get people to take the issue seriously, but we're becoming more visible online. I think for us if it's hard to change the food we eat, we can concentrate on the positive things we can do - drink water, exercise, perhaps look for a smoothie we like that might incorporate some nutrients found in the vegetables and fruits, things like that. Hope things go well for you. Feel free to PM me for support if you need.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #60  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyminnie Wannabe View Post
If so, please join in this thread! Sometimes we just need to vent. Sometimes we can share something that we tried that made it easier to a) consume that healthy food that we have a major or minor aversion to, or b) cut down on consumption of the "comfort food" that is fattening.

About me - I do struggle with some of the metabolic issues - hypothyroid, and PCOS (though I no longer have ovaries, I was informed that the syndrome persists). I'm a menopausal gal of 51, had a hysterectomy at 46. I'm about 70 lbs. at least above where I want to be.

I also struggle with ADHD which runs in one side of my family (mom's) and there are also people with Aspergers/autism in that side of the family. I've taken some quizzes and think I may be a "borderline aspie" but the label isn't as important as simply to state that I have sensory processing issues for whatever reason. This applies to being easily overstimulated by too much excitement, noise, bright or flashing lights give me a migraine sometimes, and so on.

Food - taste, texture, smell, even appearance - is a sensory minefield. I gravitate toward bland, starchy, fatty, and sweet. Things that soothe the pleasure or comfort centers of my brain. I steer away from things that are a sensory challenge. Sour, bitter, rubbery, slimy, little bits that chew weird (like minced onion), anything pickled, peppers, etc. to name just a few. Fishy tasting fish. The familiar and tried and true is good, the new and strange is suspect.

Exercise sometimes helps me eat better and it helps in other ways so I'm getting started with that.

Okay. Enough from me for now. If you relate to any of this and it presents a challenge to your weight loss and healthy eating efforts, please post!
Hello there

I am a very picky eater! I also have sensory issues and ADHD. I have an autoimmune thyroid condition, Celiac Disease, and Diabetes all of which does not make being a picky eater any easier, LOL. My poor wife (who does all the cooking) LOL!

For me, it's been a LOT of trial and error, and even some give and take. My old mindset says I have to enjoy all of my food and food is pleasurable. I am learning, and have been learning, that food CAN be pleasurable, and that's a perk when it is, but food is fuel. I don't have to 100% enjoy every single thing I put into my body (even though I want to.) I talked to my therapist about this, and she said that even 'normies' who have never had food issues, don't love their food all of the time. Granted, that was a disheartening session!

I'm getting better though. I've made a lot of steps in the right direction - both trying new things, and being mostly ok with some foods that I really just don't adore. It's not always easy, but for me, it works. Hugs!
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote