Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #1  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Default While sipping my diet coke I found this! OMG!

link deleted by author

Last edited by FinallyFree; 06-12-2016 at 11:56 PM.
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #2  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

There's an awful lot of quacking in that article--this fella is using science to promote his business.

Here's a more reputable version of the same thing: (artificial sweeteners linked to obesity and changes in the gut microbiome.)

Not a fan of artificial sweeteners. Personally, I think we're better off without them. Most sugars will alter the gut flora, plus it's a big stretch to link AS to autoimmune diseases in general.

The articles bring up a good point regarding the possibility that AS might limit effectiveness of some medications....some, but definitely not all.

The reality is that our "food" has an awful lot of artificial stuff in it, and the list of stuff is getting longer and longer.

Put down the diet coke, FF!
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #3  
Started 4th of July

I am putting down the coke , just in case. I honed in on the Hashimotos in the article that said someone was cured when they stopped the sweetners, since my antibodies were up on the lab work. Since you mention all the non food items in our food these days, or things that are questionable, I am trying to get off all that stuff so I can find out what is exciting the thyroid antibodies. The quest is on, the coke is gone. I will miss it, along with the other stuff, but I want to be healthy. thanks for the input SMF. .
Old 06-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #4  

Good luck with that! I know it's tough--old habits die hard. But, you're right: It looks like endocrinologists are suggesting that Hashimoto's patients lay off the sugar substitutes, especially aspartame. Here's one article I found. The arthritis foundation website suggests the same for inflammatory arthritis, but their website is getting too pop culture for me to value it much.

There are lots of different sugars used in our foods, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. Here's a list I found from the Mayo clinic. A varied diet is important. Lots of "natural" things are not meant to be consumed in large quantities. That Splenda makes me nervous because it's so stable....and stevia is natural, but looks like a scary molecule to me.

Giving up artificial sweeteners won't help everyone. Won't help me with autoimmune disorders, because I never consumed them in the first place. That genetics component is too strong.

...hope it works for you...
Old 06-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #5  
Started 4th of July

SMF I have some Aunts in my family that have had thyroid problems and I'm sure they didn't do any artificial sweetners. Back in the day, it was just the real stuff.

What is interesting to me is that they never tested me for the autoimmune type of Hypothyroid from the beginning. Granted they treat you the same way no matter which type you have, but I just now found out it was Hashi. So I'm looking all over to see if what I eat could make this better. My doctor told me to look for the triggers. She is against the artificial sweetners, but I've been finding out a lot of info that certain ways to eat help, but you are on the quest to see what works for you. A lot of trouble shooting. This one diet is called AIP. Autoimmune Paleo. It's suppose to help all autoimmune problems and people are testifying to good results. I'm on day one. I have been thinking about taking the plunge for a while. So I'm jumping into it. I've gone through the grieving of all my favorite foods. They don't get to be in my list of choices until after they are reintroduced. Some say I should never have certain foods again, but I'm in denial about it. Well thanks for the encouragement. Soda is just one on the big list of NO Nos for now. It may never be reintroduced. I've really loved Coke.

Last edited by FinallyFree; 06-13-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:38 AM   #6  

Eventually, you won't miss it (the soda). There have been times when I made pepsi (regular, not diet) a lunchtime and snacktime habit....in my skinny, young days, of course. Some of these habits became pretty ingrained, but with some resolve, I found I could quit altogether. I haven't had a soda in years and years, except maybe when traveling or other situations where I was hesitant to drink the water. I walk by soda machines at work several times a day now, and never even notice them. Ever watch Mad Men? I think about Don Draper's comments on cigarettes...it's all about the ritual...the walk to the machine (that gets you away from your desk for a few minutes)...the feel of the cool bottle in your hands....the bubbles...the satisfying burps ...

Me, I'm working to give up coffee... That's gonna be a difficult morning ritual to give up.....and not sure I'm resolved to do it yet.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #7  
Started 4th of July

As I chat with you I'm drinking a cup of Rooibos Tea. Not bad, with no artificial sweeteners. I was hesitant to take this plunge into all these changes at once, but what the heck. So Yesterday I had a headache and took some aspirin. This Rooibos it a good tea.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #8  

Howzit goin? Your post inspired me to follow up on my intentions to give up coffee , and I've done it! I never thought of myself as a coffee "addict", but the RA leaves me so tired, and I've come to depend on my morning cup, or two, or three . I wisely chose Monday morning as the day to stop , and Boy Howdy was Monday difficult! Tue and Wed--chirping like a bird! Wow! What a difference! I have been tired and struggling to get through the day for so long--this is a remarkable change for me. I'm even having Hope (gasp) that I might lose this weight!

I substituted with green tea, because that was in the house, but will pick up some rooibos and try it....I don't think that I will have the same relationship with tea as I did with coffee...first love and all...
Old 06-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #9  
Started 4th of July

Oh Cool SMF!

Having a buddy in the trenches is nice. The Rooibos is caffeine free and it is the best a person could get to compare with coffee. IMHO. It looks like it in the cup. Has a rich and mild flavor which actually taste ok by its self. I have been drinking water with a drop of peppermint oil for the head and body aches. Yes, I've actually been getting full body aches with this withdrawal! Man what an addict I was!
Old 06-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #10  

Ha! Yes, it is nice to have support! Interesting that our "withdrawal" symptoms are the opposite of what one might expect. Shouldn't drinking the artificial sweetener chemicals make one feel crummy, NOT crummy after giving them up? Shouldn't giving up coffee make me feel tired, and not energetic? Weird.

Not having coffee has made such a difference in my mood, sleep, energy, and RA symptoms. I'm on methotrexate for the RA, and it gives me such hot flashes (!). Not as severe as menopausal hot flashes, but just unrelenting and annoying periods of feeling smothered and too hot--several times every hour. Today, I had only one noticeable one after exercise. Woo and Hoo.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Reading this thread has been interesting. I have been drinking diet soda since it came out, back in the 60s. I didn't start having my medical problem until the 90s when my weight gain began, so I feel that my problems are from my weight, not from the diet soda. I also drink coffee, a couple cups in the morning. At one time, several years ago I gave them both up. The loss of caffeine didn't bother me because I can easily drink decaf without a problem. I just never went out of my way to make a separate pot of decaf when DH's pot of high octane is sitting here. I did not notice any different in my health or how I felt without the coffee or diet soda. The only difference it made was I could say I was "caffeine free." Gradually I have gone back to both, after a year or so with no obvious effect. I will admit that it's probably healthier to say away from both of them, but at my age, I feel I am so close to "the end" that I might as well not stop now. But I do commend those of you who have found improvements in your health by giving them up.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #12  
Started 4th of July

WoW SMF that is Awesome!

I'm mainly passed the withdrawals today and feeling serene. Having to quit the coke and coffee all at once with starting this WOE actually helped, because I think I cared more about the coffee than the food changes. Except one little spell of totally wanting gluten in any form, but that past because I ate a couple of oranges.

WannaBe I have the same basic history as you with Coke and Coffee. Loved it for years, but if giving it up helps my health,,,,well I'm giving it a try. I understand if your don't see a difference though. Cause I wouldn't have quit it otherwise.....

Last edited by FinallyFree; 06-17-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #13  

Well golly, Carol Sue, you come here just to tell us you're not joining in? Well then, run along, you Coffee Drinker, you! Hey, if I stick with this, I'll have a new insult to throw around! (Not that I had any old insults.)

I never noticed much difference between coffee/no coffee either---least not before these RA symptoms and treatments. Inflammation changes things.

I had to go back and read what I wrote yesterday, 'cause I started mourning the loss of the ol' coffee cup after work today. AFTER work! In 100F heat! Feeling grumpy on accounta the fat. Guess my unusually high high is going down.

FF--you're giving up coffee too? I thought you were just concerned about the AS?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #14  
Started 4th of July

OH Feet, I am giving up anything caffeine, soda and tons of other stuff with this Autoimmune Protocol. The thing is finding out what causes the inflammation. So some stuff can come back into the diet after a while as long as it's not a trigger.

Carol Sue, I'm jealous of you,,,you coffee drinker!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Yes, I just finished my second cup of the morning. Probably done with coffee for the day. DH drinks it round the clock.

I have some autoimmune issues that could possibly be helped with cutting out these things, but since I didn't notice any different when I went without for a while, I figured I should indulge, and enjoy what's left of my life. I have made so many healthy dietary changes and I do see noticeable results with them. I have cut processed food, and junk food, and added tons of produce to my diet. These changes are keepers and have become permanent changes in my life. DH will not change his junk food diet one iota. He never had a weight problem and enjoys his sweets, salty snacks, ice cream, etc. He said he wants to enjoy his food and will accept the loss of 3 or so years of life as a result. His body, his choice. Who am I to say he's wrong?

I commend you all for making changes that are affecting your life in a positive way.

Now I will run along and maybe have another cup of joe. LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote