Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 382/372/182

Height: 5'11.5"

Default Hypothyroid Tip

Hi-- I just wanted to share something that I found out a while back. I thought this woud be a place where it could be of benefit to a lot of people. I have a severe hypothyroid and do the Synthroid thing to correct it. I took my daughter to a holistic nutritionist for other issues a while back and in the converstaion mentioned my thryroid problem.

It turns out that synthroid does not casue the thyroid to work better as I assumed it did--it simulates the action of the thyroid instead. Long term use of synthroid can actually hasten the atrophying of you thyroid. The nutritionist suggested that I take one kelp tablet a day--you can get it in any health food store and a huge bottle is under $10--it is a standard dose. Kelp stimulates your thyroid to help prevent atrophy. She said not to stop the Synthroid, but to use kelp as a booster in conjunction with it. I am feeling so much better since. Hope it helps some one else out there
jewelergirl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

A month or so ago my normal thyroid went hypo. DR started me on synthroid, but within a couple weeks I could feel symptoms of hyper so I quit the synthroid. After researching it online, I found that cruciferous veggies can slow the production of thyroid hormone. At that time I was eating a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage. I was trying to lose weight and was eating these veggies daily in large quantities every day. Now I have started adding other veggies to my regieme and only eating the cruciferous in smaller amounts less frequently. My DR does not believe me, and has ordered another T4 test in a month. But I know how I feel, and I can assure him it is going to be back to normal.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #3  

To be correct, the vegetables you mentioned are only detrimental to the thyroid if you eat them raw. When they are cooked, they are okay.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

very interesting info ladies, thank you.
My TSH and T3 and T4 are always normal, although I have all the symptoms of low thyroid. I may try a kelp supplement and see if it helps.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
very interesting info ladies, thank you.
My TSH and T3 and T4 are always normal, although I have all the symptoms of low thyroid. I may try a kelp supplement and see if it helps.
Ah... but what is normal? Do you have the numbers? What a doctor might consider OK, an endocrinologist might not. They are still learning sooooo much.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 02-23-2013 at 08:58 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
To be correct, the vegetables you mentioned are only detrimental to the thyroid if you eat them raw. When they are cooked, they are okay.
Susan, I had read that online, but the site I read added "except when eaten in large quantities." I still eat those foods, but in much smaller quantities and also, not 2 days in a row, and I have not had any issues. If not for those veggies, I don't know what would have caused the problem.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote