3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   My health problems & dieting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/270327-my-health-problems-dieting.html)

Briar Rose 11-21-2012 11:15 AM

My health problems & dieting

Hi,

I thought I'd share my health problems and how some of them affect my dieting.

I have Pulmonary fibrosis, Systemic Sclerodema, Reynolds phenomenon the after affects of Carpal tunnel syndrome and Achilles tendinitis, I also have Esophageal dysfunction and something called Sjorgrens syndrome.

So to cut a long explanation short my lungs are no good so exercise is out which is great for all the diet info you come across that stress that exercise is essential, my hands and feet get really really cold and you can always find me with woolen mitts on even indoors or in the heat of the English summer :lol: The Esophageal thing basically means I have trouble swallowing and the Sjorgrens is to do with my saliva glands not working properly and dreadful cramping in my jaw when I eat. You'd think that the last two would be of benefit to dieting but in actual fact it's things like cake and desserts that I find the easiest to swallow. Hence the fact that I gained so much weight it was just so much easier to eat those sort of things than to suffer, but and it's a big BUT I've also found out I'm lactose intolerant and since cutting out milk/cheese (oh how I miss cheese! :() and other dairy products things have eased up enormously :)

Dieting has been made much easier now I can chew and swallow easily my calorie intake has to be a bit lower than normal simply because I can't exercise, but I try not to let these things get me down, I'm losing weight in spite of these things and even though I've been on a dieting low just lately I'm slowly finding my mojo again and I'm determined to get as near to 11st by Christmas which is to lose another 6lb, I'm not completely sure I believe it yet but I'm hoping that joining this forum will give me that kick in the pants I need.

If you've made it this far thank you for listening to my ramblings and please wish me luck :)

BR

QuilterInVA 11-24-2012 04:32 PM

I certainly wish you lunch with your weight loss!

I have asthma, COPD, hypothyroid and osteoporosis. Exercise is mandatory for me in order to strengthen my bones, keep my muscles strong and keep the lung function I currently have (47%).

Have you google chair exercises? There might be something you could do.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Marniadec 12-06-2012 10:55 PM

I have Hashimoto's, bad knees and ridiculously low iron that won't go up. I'm only allowed to walk and swim and I used to try and run and do all sorts of things that would wear me out and cause me pain. It's pointless. You burn more calories when you exercise, but you make up for them. All you gain from it, as far as weight loss is concerned, is that you eat more but at the same time, you're creating the need to eat more.

I've been on a diet for quite some time and I find that I'm not even hungry anymore. I got used to eating less and I have to remind myself to eat to reach my target for the day. If I knew this when I first started, I would start by eating a lot and I would slowly cut calories. It's not a race anyway and I regret having treated it as such.

And now that I'm done rambling, let me wish you good luck on your weight loss, too!