Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #1  

Default new knee

10 weeks ago I got a new knee,a total knee replacement. I had been on crutches for 8 months for various injuries. Anyone else dealing with getting back to exercise and back on the weight loss wheel after a major injury and surgery?
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I am sorry to hear about your surgery. As it is, I sit here with both of my shoulders basically immobile. I have a suspicion I have torn the rotator cuffs on both shoulders. I woke up this morning unable to move my arms very much without severe pain-this follows my intense boot camp style workout a few days ago. Needless to say, I will be returning to my orthopedist tomorrow.
I injured my left shoulder about 2 months ago, and he gave me some recovering exercises that I performed. I just took it slow, and eventually I got almost back to where I was before. Well, until the unfortunate workout.
Could you swim? I think swimming would be great to build up some of what you lost without the weight bearing concerns. Or maybe a recumbent bike done slowly on low resistance? Of course you could lift weights for your upper body, and if you can tolerate it, walk slowly and build up stamina.
I would think your physical therapist should be able to help you with a program that would fit your needs.
But I think most importantly, you just have to do something. If that means walking for ten minutes, then walk for ten minutes. The more you do, the more you will be able to do. And of course get your diet right. Do that and you should be well on your way. Just keep on going! You can come back better than before. I mean, just think: one of your knees is completely new!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #3  

thx Brandis! Ive trying to get back into working out and actually spent 25 minutes in cardio yesterday. the PT told me to stop once i felt it hurt and I did but I could barely walk and was reaching for the cane for the first time in several weeks this morning. Its just so hard to find my limits. Swimming is on the agenda for tomorrow. I hurt this knee because I worked out too hard and too long. I was doing triathlons (sprint) and was loving it. Ive got to find a goal and find something I love as much as I loved doing those. I hope your shoulders feel better. The piercing pain is so difficult to deal with but you will get through it too. Please let me know what ur doctor says.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #4  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Hi Maezy, Hope the knee continues to improve for you.
There is a forum which helps people in your situation and anyone who has hip replacements too.
This is the link if you would like some support.

http://bonesmart.org/

I can assure you that the moderator is very experienced in this field.

Last edited by emaline29; 07-26-2012 at 04:02 PM.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #5  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I would take it SLOW! Just start with 5 minutes and work your way up. There is a book cslled "Get fit while you sit"for that I use due to foot problems.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote