Dieting while watching salt intake

• Hi everyone, with my on/off diet saga most of my life I generally know what I should and shouldnt be doing to lose weight......however I am now having to watch my salt intake after being put on blood pressure meds...........at first I thought I wouldnt have to do much as I have never added salt to anything, Im always really careful with that however over the last few days Im amazed at what I have found out....ie the amount of salt in cereals.....on my last 'diet' I was having a bowl of cornflakes for brekkie and possibly supper. Also things like tuna which I was having for lunch.

I just wondered if anyone else out there is also keeping an eye on their salt intake and how hard they find this??

Thanks xx
  • HI i am in the same boat and my doc. said to give up all the pepsi max i drink and for about 5 days before my next visit to her i had no pepsi and no salt that i knew of and my blood pressure was normal for the first time in 10 years so its definetly worth a try. but everything has hidden salt to make it taste better except fruit perhaps ? good luck
  • My dh had end-stage renal failure and could have no sodium at all. That's when my eyes were opened to the huge amount we consume every day without thinking. After he passed away, I continued to eat as little sodium as possible. If you are having trouble getting started, google Dash Diet Solution. Tons of good free info and a week meal plan for starters,
  • Hi, thanks for replying, Shirley was it not hard to manage that period of time with no salt? are you currently still watching your salt intake? Susan thanks alot thats great, I am just going away to google that, thanks for letting me know :-) x
  • Hi shaz, I had to watch my salt as I was on prednisolone. I think the secret is to go back to basics. Cook everything from scratch. I cringe when I read labels now. Sugar is also added to pretty much every thing.
    Good luck.
  • I have to watch my salt intake because of high blood pressure, also sugars for my diabetes.
    I never put salt into anything when I am cooking even if it's some vegetables, which I steam anyway.
  • Thanks guys, I am now keeping an eye on the salt in food, I never added salt to anything previously anyway so thats a good thing :-)))) x
  • MUCH LATER I come back to add. I am now really starting to try lose the salt altogether,have been really reading labels and even the no added sugar jam has salt/sodium in it Even without adding salt yourself it is near impossable to eat salt free I now have the added problem of puffy eyelids which I'm blaming on forgetting about no salt for the last couple of weeks .Violet