Open Heart Surgery

• I was recently diagnosed with a congenital heart defect that will require open heart surgery within the next couple of months. The right side of my heart is also enlarged and I was told to stop all forms of exercise, including walking. I have gone from exercising 6 days a week to being completely sedentary. Just walking gets me winded.

Aside from the obvious health concern, I'm also scared of regaining some of the weight I lost. My cardiologist commended me on trying to live a healthier lifestyle/losing weight and said that I should continue to maintain my weight for now and could try to continue losing with as little stress possible.

Welp, my problem is that I don't know how to lose weight without exercising. Pairing calorie counting and exercise is what worked for me with the pounds I have lost. I also have the problem that if I eat too much (not necessarily over serving or larger-portions) I get pressure in my chest due to the enlarged heart. So I'm finding myself under-eating and I know from past experience that can hinder weight loss.

I'm rambling now but I'm at loss in how to approach this. Is there anyone who's been in a similar position? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • I wish I knew how to help. I know you can lose- and maintain- without exercise but I have always paired exercise with my weight loss efforts as well.

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery! I know some folks will chime in here with answers to some of your questions.
  • well I think right now you need to concentrate on staying alive till your surgery. Even if you only maintain I think it's a win. And your body may surprise you if you really concentrate on eating healthy. At the very least you will make sure your body has all the nutrients it needs when it goes into this surgery.

Take care of yourself ((hugs))
  • thank you ladies!!! <3
  • Take care of yourself. Maybe you could do some light stretching while you aren't able to work out, I would ask your doctor first though. I wish you well!
  • Ideal Protein is a diet that could possiblly work for you, it does not require you to exercise . It might be worth exploring this option with your Healthcare Team to see if this would fit the bill.
    I use IP and get my labs monitored and F/U with by PCP, my results have been awesome. My weightloss has been remarkably fast from 212 lbs end of June 2012 -January 31,2013 Goal weight achieved 120lbs ,rebooted lost to 106lbs.

Hope this info is helpful,Roo2