Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Ticker.

Question Meralgia Paraesthetica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meralgia_paraesthetica

So, I went to see my doctor last week since I kept getting this numbness, tingling feeling in my left thigh. Felt like it wanted to fall asleep, but wasn't quite getting there.

She confirmed my research with Meralgia Paraesthetica. Linked above for more information. I haven't had any trauma to my leg besides a pretty bad car accident years ago [which I'm feeling all over my body in recent years], so she pretty much chalked it up to nerve damage & I should be able to release the discomfort by continuing my weight loss.

Just curious if anyone has ever had similar issues & has it gone away. While it doesn't hurt, it can be annoying when I am trying to relax.
MissGuided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

My mom had chronic leg pain and tingling for about a year but it went away after she started aqua aerobics. She however needed to change some medications and promptly put on twenty pounds. She went to the hospital one night for the returning leg pain where a neurologist gave her the same diagnosis. Good luck with the weight loss.

Last edited by Aunrio; 02-29-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yes. I strained nerve pushing my car home when it broke about 3 streets from it.

Doc told me weight loss would help but it wasn't anything else for my case. It's a weird "electric buzz tingly thing" shooting on the outside of the leg.
I know exactly what you mean about it "wanting to fall asleep but doesn't quite make it"

I know it was fascinating to me when I could not feel parts of my stomach after my emergency c-section with my kid. But 8 yrs later I can feel it. Over the years it was like the "numb circle was shrinking" -- so I figure my leg dealt with itself? Healed the nerve?

Once in a very great while I bang it and it complains at me a bit with a smaller twinge but nothing like when it was newer buzzing all the time.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Ticker.

Thanks for the responses. I don't feel it as much as when I typed this up, so perhaps it is healing on its own.

Thanks again.
MissGuided is offline   Reply With Quote