3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   IBS anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/251702-ibs-anyone.html)

Ronja 05-09-2012 04:10 AM

I don't have IBS, but I suffer of Crohn's disease, which, as you may be aware, is inflammatory conditions of digestive tract, particularly intestines. Ten years after diagnosis I was still taking corticosteroids, immunosupressive drugs, I had all the lovely side effects of both and my Crohn's was spread all over my large intestine. I had horrible pains, diarrhea, joint pains, back pains, I couldn't eat much and I felt right down yuck. Just before it got so bad I would have to have my bowel removed, I stumbled across something called "Specific Carbohydrate Diet". Thinking I have nothing to lose (and quite doubtful as I had been told by my doctors than no diet can really help and I just have to stay away from things that make me sick - which was pretty much everything, I felt) I tried the diet: 6 months later I was 15 pounds slimmer and SUPER healthy, off all the medication and felt amazing.

It's been 6 years, I don't follow SCD anymore (it's designed as a cure, not a permanent diet as it's rather strict) but every time I get worse (spring, autumn, stress) I go back to the diet for two or three weeks and I get better again.

Now please don't get me wrong: I know that IBS and IBD is NOT a same thing. I also don't think that SCD or any other diet can really cure the conditions, also everyone is different and what helped me doesn't necessarily have to help others. I'm however a firm believer that diet and lifestyle can make a HUGE difference in this type of conditions, so I just wanted to encourage you to try and search for what's best for you. The help is out there somewhere, you just need to find it...

bonbonj24 05-09-2012 10:14 PM

Ronja, that is exactly what I am doing for whatever GI issues I have (IBS is the only diagnosis I have been given). VERY encouraging to hear your story! I am about 4 weeks into it and having some good results. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Ronja 05-10-2012 01:38 AM

Oh are you really following SCD? AWESOME! It is really strict but I have to say once you get used to it it's doable. After 4 weeks you're probably past the most difficult stage when I felt very hungry and deprived of sugar :) The plus side was I could eat as much as I wanted (well of the SCD-friendly food anyway) and my weight was just disappearing... granted I got it all back when I went off the diet but that's because I'm an idiot, arrrghhhhhhhhh

bonbonj24 05-10-2012 10:14 AM

That sucks about the weight coming back! Yes, the diet is "hard" but being that sick was harder :) So far I can eat beef, chicken and pork, acorn and butternut squash, green beans and a probiotic. I did not tolerate the homemade yogurt, dry curd cottage cheese, or honey, so I will wait a while before trying them again. I miss different spices and stuff, but so far I feel so much better, it is totally worth it! I would love to hear more about your journey with it, if you want to share, what kinds of foods did you add first, how long till you felt a lot better, etc. The weight loss is a super bonus I wasn't planning for, but much needed :)