Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #1  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Default Anyone else have "women issues" due to weight?

Last year I was 20 and discovered a polyp protruding through my cervix that caused a lot of heavy bleeding. I had had an absence of periods on/off since I was young. I had it removed via polypectomy and a D&C, and the biospy results were that I had atypical endometrial hyperplasia - the worst kind of hyperplasia and I was told it was pre-cancerous so I had to see an oncologist. Usually they do a hysterectomy but since I was so young I took a drug called Megace (progesterone). I got a second surgery after my lining thickened again while being on hormone therapy. I foolishly decided to no longer continue hormone therpay and realize this last week that I once again have ANOTHER polyp that I'm going in on tuesday to get checked out.

I wish one of these gynos would just tell me that I'm obese and it's contributing to the fact I'm not having periods and is giving me these issues since I'm not having my period. The thing is I have lots of overweight to obese friends and they all still get their periods - so why does this happen to me I wonder? I also wonder if I lose say 100 lbs if everything will be just magically okay. Obviousy it would take me at least a year to do that, so I don't know if I want to play around with it anymore. It's frustrating!!
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #2  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I just saw an endocrine forum and am going to move this post to there
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

There's an endocrine section of 3FC?

Anyway, I reckon you'll find that weight-related hormone problems are common around here. I developed PMDD at the same time that I experienced rapid unexplained weight gain. Unfortunately, the action of losing weight can stir up your hormones a bit, so mine have been all over the place, but I'm hoping that once I am maintaining, my cycles will be improved. I've been told by several doctors that weight can cause these sorts of problems, as fat cells produce oestrogen.

I also have severe ME/CFIDS factoring into the whole business. I recently found a thread on a CFIDS forum where they talked about weight gain, and it seemed that not only was weight gain very common (although some people also struggle the other way), but abdominal weight gain in particular. I put on most of my weight on my torso, where it's more likely to be hormonally active, so I'm quite interested in how all of this works and will look into it further sooner or later.

I've had three cervical polyps, although none of them were anything more exciting than that. They were before I'd put on weight, and I suspect might have something to do with my having an IUD. I think the gynae said that some women are just prone to getting these polyps.

Obesity is well known for causing fertility problems, so it's really not just you. Have you asked the gynae about it directly?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote