3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   Anyone diagnosed hypothyroid with normal TSH? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/231367-anyone-diagnosed-hypothyroid-normal-tsh.html)

spixiet 04-19-2011 09:03 PM

Anyone diagnosed hypothyroid with normal TSH?

Just wondering... I've had some random stuff going on for the past couple months, and my doctor and I are working on it, but a lot of my symptoms meet the list of hypothyroid symptoms. However, my TSH is testing around 2.2 which completely falls in the normal range.

curvy cupcake 04-19-2011 09:12 PM

my levels were a little higher but not much, still in range, My cholesterol jumped 30 points in a year and I had other symptoms, so my Dr, put me on synthroid and I feel so much better! It really didn't make any difference in my weight loss, it is still a long process. Good luck.

spixiet 04-19-2011 10:02 PM

Thanks for the input - I've been having trouble with muscle cramps, lethargy, and major constipation (sorry for the TMI) which match the symptoms, but also numbness in fingers and toes, headaches, chills after eating sometime (covered in goosebumps) which don't really. I'm not trying to obsess or self-diagnose symptoms that could be explained away in tons of other ways - but I was just curious :)

ilidawn 04-19-2011 10:07 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. They told me my TSH was fine (though I don't know the number because the idiots gave me someone elses prescription copy when I was leaving instead of a copy of my test results) but I have a disturbing amount of the symptoms AND it runs in my family. I'm trying to get into a different clinic now to try and get tests done also on my Free T3 and T4 along with the antibodies. I've read a lot of posts on numerous sites that said their TSH levels are fine but upon further testing and getting put on the meds they get better. I'm wondering if docs would put a person on the meds if they're requested. Good luck to you and I hope youre feeling better soon.

serendipityberry 04-21-2011 02:59 PM

I have had Thyroid cancer so I have been a wide range of TSH levels. I can tell you that I feel MY ABSOLUTE BEST when my TSH is less than 1. (my levels need to be suppressed for my cancer, typically they don't keep you that low). I realize that everyone might be a little different, but I do think that it is possible to feel hypo dispite being in the "normal" range. It is also quite possible that your symptoms are related to other medical reasons (like low vit D or anemia, etc.).

If you are feeling hypo but your level is normal, I would try homeopathic ways to keep your thyroid functioning at its best. Particularly watching your diet. There is a ton of info out there. Good luck :)

MsModelSara 07-12-2011 04:36 PM

I was diagnosed as hypo back in 2006 when the reference range was still if tsh was under 5 it was "normal", but mine was at about 5 when I was dx'd. It bounces around so much my head spins because I actually have Hashi's so it's hard to keep my meds at the right level since my thyroid spurts in and out of working which is wreaking havoc on my body.

But you can be hypothyroid with normal tsh levels. It is especially noticed in those with autoimmune issues which the only way to tell is if your TPO antibodies are tested. My test was done when I had a tsh of around 3 which is normal-ish but my antibodies were well over 270 which was VERY high and explained my myriad of thyroid symptoms. Then my endo decided to get my tsh down to between 1 and 2 since my antibodies were so high.

Bellamack 07-12-2011 04:51 PM

Very typical. The TSH test is basically a waste of time and money, as it is not that accurate or reproducible. If you have the symtoms ask for T3 & T4 and antibodies, these test are so much more reliable for diagnosis.

klm80 07-13-2011 04:36 PM

SOooo happy I found this thread! I was starting to wonder if I was imagining the myriad of symptoms I've been having. I only have half my Thyroid (thanks Cancer!) and it's been between 2.0 and 2.2 since about 2007. I've spent those 4 years getting worse and worse (and bigger and bigger, despite no lifestyle/diet changes) so I kept thinking it was just my metabolism getting worse.

I'm now 30 and just had baby #4 and looking to beat both the weight AND the thyroid issues. Sadly, I'm a military spouse on Tricare insurance, so getting anything medical done that's not "needed" is like pulling teeth. I'm trying to get into a Dr up at University Of Kentucky that can hopefully help me.

Before my pregnancy I went from 270 to 225 by working out 2 hours a day, 7 days a week and living on 1200 calories. I took Selenium too. I'm now back on the same diet but it's not as effective. So far I've only lost 15 of the 35lbs I gained with the baby, and no more is budging!

Reading this thread I now know I need to git my behind into that Dr and get this tackled. But having 4 kids with a Husband who's deployed, and having no energy, already told me that anyways! LOL

MsModelSara 07-14-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klm80 (Post 3935319)
SOooo happy I found this thread! I was starting to wonder if I was imagining the myriad of symptoms I've been having. I only have half my Thyroid (thanks Cancer!) and it's been between 2.0 and 2.2 since about 2007. I've spent those 4 years getting worse and worse (and bigger and bigger, despite no lifestyle/diet changes) so I kept thinking it was just my metabolism getting worse.

I'm now 30 and just had baby #4 and looking to beat both the weight AND the thyroid issues. Sadly, I'm a military spouse on Tricare insurance, so getting anything medical done that's not "needed" is like pulling teeth. I'm trying to get into a Dr up at University Of Kentucky that can hopefully help me.

Before my pregnancy I went from 270 to 225 by working out 2 hours a day, 7 days a week and living on 1200 calories. I took Selenium too. I'm now back on the same diet but it's not as effective. So far I've only lost 15 of the 35lbs I gained with the baby, and no more is budging!

Reading this thread I now know I need to git my behind into that Dr and get this tackled. But having 4 kids with a Husband who's deployed, and having no energy, already told me that anyways! LOL

I'm a Navy widow and still have Tricare as well. So I feel your pain, I really do! It is really tough to get things done with all the hoops we have to jump through just to get a dang doctor. But there are some out there that are great, and accept tricare. Sometimes that can actually be an oxymoron! Just don't give up. if you don't feel well, then something isn't right. So keep pushing until you find the doctor that will listen. It took me 5 years to get my autoimmune Dx after being Dx'd hypothyroid after constantly complaining I still didn't feel right after having a "normal" tsh.

Unfortunately, even when the thyroid is normalized, weight loss will always be a struggle wonce the thyroid has been compromised. Dr's will swear up and down that having a normal tsh will normalize the metabolism and weight loss will happen. BS!!! It takes longer, but it can be done. Stay strong, and stay motivated and focused...it will happen.

Best of luck to you!! :hug:

MsModelSara 07-14-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klm80 (Post 3935319)

I'm a Navy widow and still have Tricare as well. So I feel your pain, I really do! It is really tough to get things done with all the hoops we have to jump through just to get a dang doctor. But there are some out there that are great, and accept tricare. Sometimes that can actually be an oxymoron! Just don't give up. if you don't feel well, then something isn't right. So keep pushing until you find the doctor that will listen. It took me 5 years to get my autoimmune Dx after being Dx'd hypothyroid after constantly complaining I still didn't feel right after having a "normal" tsh.

Unfortunately, even when the thyroid is normalized, weight loss will always be a struggle wonce the thyroid has been compromised. Dr's will swear up and down that having a normal tsh will normalize the metabolism and weight loss will happen. BS!!! It takes longer, but it can be done. Stay strong, and stay motivated and focused...it will happen.

Best of luck to you!! :hug:

AmiraLynn2011 07-14-2011 06:07 PM

Hi,

I'm new, but, this thread really hit home. In fact, I joined because of it. I was diagnosed close to 5 years ago now I guess. I had been losing weight at the time, and then I put on 40lbs in 4 months. I was told that once I went on the Synthroid and my TSH leveled out that the weight would come off. Instead, I have since gained another almost 30lbs.
For the most part I don't gain these days, I just don't lose either.
I just had my TSH yearly test done in May and it came back as that my level was normal and my medication dose, 150micrograms, was a little high but we chose to leave it there. I don't know the actual number, he didn't tell me. Just said it was normal. He also doesn't check to see if the thyroid is normal sized or anything either.
I asked about having a T3 or T4 test and the doctor, a family practitioner, wouldn't do it. He has also refused to put me on any kind of weight loss program because he says I need to "do it on my own" and that it's a matter of diet and exercise.
I'm really at a loss. I don't know if a new doctor will help either. I have a friend who's been to nearly all the doctors in our area and says they are all the same. They just don't know enough about thyroid disorders to really do much or get it fixed. One way or another, I have got to lose some weight, I just am not sure how to get started and what to do.

MsModelSara 07-15-2011 08:31 AM

Amira - I feel your pain, I really do. I would request to get a referral to an endocrinologist. I never even got tested for antibodies until I demanded a referral myself, and I would have never known I have an autoimmune condition if I hadn't. An endocrinologist would be a great start, because at least they will look at your whole endocrine system, not just your TSH. I was also tested for hyperparathyroidism since my Vit D is always so low, which is a condition that has been know to co-exist with hypothyroidism in some cases. It's so important to be your own advocate, because nobody else will do it for you. Most family Dr's don't know squat about hypothyroidism. Everytime I went to mine, he tried to convince me that my tiredness and weight gain was because I was depressed, not because my thyroid was off. Of course I cried....I was so frustrated at him I wanted to rip my hair out because he wouldn't listen. This only further confirmed to himself that I was depressed. smh.

The weight deff will not fall off with T4 supplementation. I have been on and off of it since 2006. I actually came off of it for almost a year because I said screw it, I feel like crap on it just like off it so why should I bother? I got back on it because I know it's important since I am autoimmune, if left unchecked it can really wreak havoc. I've read that T4 helps keep the autoimmune attack in check somewhat. I dunno... I'm about to be in the process of going back to my endo and seeing if I can try a T3/T4 combo to see if it helps me feel better. I'm also trying to look into the Marshall Protocol but I'm having trouble finding anyone that is on it to ask questions to.

And it is a matter of diet an exercise, but I can tell you no matter how you eat, or how much you exercise...if your thyroid issue isn't in check all the way (despite a "normal" tsh) all your efforts will be for nothing. Something that helped me be a bit more receptive to weight loss (when I was actively trying) was taking a good b vitamin supplement, one that had a combo of them not just b12, and taking a good multivitamin. I was taking the RAW brand vitamin. I had more energy, and my body just felt....better. Magnesium and selenium would be worth looking into as well.

One thing my endo did tell me though: she treats a lot of people with thyroid disorders, and she has been able to take alot of people off their thyroid meds by having them follow a strict gluten free diet. I did lose weight rather easily on a low carb diet, which was mostly gluten free. I haven't been able to work up the control to try a whole gluten free diet as of yet, but I am going to work on transitioning over to a gluten/casein free diet in the not too far future since I shouldn't be eating it anyway (I'm intolerant of both) and see if that let's me eventually wean off or at least lower my levo dose. Something will work for you, it's just a matter of finding what it is and running with it. :-)