Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:25 AM   #1  
.::On a Mission::.

S/C/G: 257/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Dieting With Multiple Sclerosis

Hello Ladies

I was recently diagnosed with MS in April. I have begun treatment but it was brought to my awareness that the legions could be a few years old. We all know the norms - Excerbations accompanied with facial pain... optic neuritis (coming off of a spell now ) ... limb numbness ... electric shocks down the legs it's enough to make a big girl go ... then ... Let us not forget the Summertime heat ... how do you cope? I've begun drinking plenty of water ... not overdoing it at the gym (a day you play is a day you PAY) ... and I walk early in the morning while it's still cool ... and I work out inside a gym in the evenings until the weather changes. I have noticed a pattern with what I eat. When I eat processed sweets ... pain strikes me almost immediately ... now if that doesn't stop me from slurping down a pepsi ... I don't know what will ... what are you eating? .... I will not let the MS take over ... I'm fortunate to have usage of my limbs ... and a sound mind ... so I'm determined that ... no matter what my future holds ... I will do everything I can now ... to lessen the intensity of my symptoms ... and possibly make way for a normal healthy life ... any other MS soldiers here???? .....

Last edited by MadamePJ; 07-01-2006 at 12:39 AM.
MadamePJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:04 AM   #2  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

yes!! i was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago. and yeah, the heat is a killer. the worst is the MS related fatigue that doesn't match my energy level at all. sometimes hard to motivate myself to exercise when that weak/tired.

haven't noticed a change with what i eat...luckily.

hope you are well. what MS medication are you on? i am doing daily copaxone shots.

take care of yourself
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #3  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

doh. I just posted a question about interferons. thank you search function. I was diagnosed 2 years ago.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I hope you don't mind my jumping in here. I don't have MS, but my mother did and my sister does. My sister did change her eating habits somewhat to a more whole food/lots of veggies diet and she had great success with losing weight on weight watchers. I think all she did exercise wise was walk when she had the energy (she is lucky to live in a cooler climate though.)

As far as the heat, my mother was able to get her energy bill reduced based on medical need. She always kept the A/C on really low during the summers. Maybe that is something for you to look into. Heat effected her a lot too.

I'm so happy to see that you have a possitive outlook!

Once again, I hope you don't mind my jumping in here!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #5  
M.S. + living balance

I dont mind at all! I really appreciate any knowledge people have with diet/exercise changes and MS - I'm fortunate enough to literally live closer to polar bears than another city... so the body temperature usually isnt a problem.

Thanks so much for the encouragement It's so easy to believe I cant control anything because of MS... hopefully I can change more than just my outlook here.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 AM   #6  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Well I was diagnosed with MS in 1999 after bouts of numbness, falling over and muscular weakness. I had a second MRI scan done the end of last year of the brain (yep I have one ) and of the cervical and thoraticic spinal areas I have now multiple lesions over these areas. I have medication for TN (trigeminial neuragia) well 4 different tablets now to try and keep the pain under control.

After I was diagnosed I went on self destruction mode I ate everything that I should not have to try and find solace in food. But of course food is not the answer to our problems.

It is hard to motivate yourself to exercise when you are so tired. But I find it best early in the morning when it is cooler. My exercise at the minute consists just of walking. But I can't walk as far as I drag my leg.

I am luckier than most as I do not live in such a hot climate. But I do have a portable air con unit which is excellent and works wonders on me.

When I changed my eating habits back in March I now have loads of vegetables and fruit. I have less meat now in my diet and have loads more vegetarian dishes.

For the first time I can now see light at the end of the tunnel and feel I should be able to get near or on my ideal weight. This has been with the help and support of people here on 3fc.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 272/262/162

Height: 5'4"

I was diagnosed in 1998 after bouts of leg and feet tingling and then double vision. I am on Avonex. I take Neurontin for leg pain and provigil for fatigue.
I had to stop working as a teacher. It was too exhausting. So now I work in an office. The heat also wipes me out. So I try to stay in the air conditioning all summer. I initially lost weight when I was diagnosed, trying to stay healthy, but I started feeling sorry for myself and those little hersehy kisses made me feel better. Now I am paying the price with being overweight. Let's try to stay in touch on this site. Any ideas??
ninaloy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #8  
M.S. + living balance

well.. I've been checking back on this thread pretty regularly. I was diagnosed in 05 when I lost vision in one eye... then would wake up every day with a new more disturbing symptom. ha ha I had a good friend buy me chocolate and a card when I was offficially diagnosed.

I was put on Rebif last year though... and now I'm through the woods with drug side effects. I like to think it's helping now?? How would you say Avonex is helping you ninaloy? And how is copaxone train?

So.. are people with MS on here following any sort of diet? My naturopath told me to become a vegan last year... and I did... but I gained weight because there's a lot of vegan junk food out there! I'm not vegan anymore.

It's nice to 'meet' you all.

Last edited by valpal23; 08-13-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 272/262/162

Height: 5'4"

I have been on Avonex steadily since 1998 without a relapse. In my thinking, I think the Avonex has kept me relapse free. According to my brain MRI, I have huge areas of plaque, but I am still walking and working. Even though I'm used to the weekly injections, I still want to reward myself with food for having to actually take the shot. I know its not right......:
ninaloy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Reward

I don't have MS, but I have systemic sclerosis (scleroderma) with some pretty mean complications, so I understand the frustrations.

In my view, you deserve a reward for being relapse-free! Don't beat yourself up over a treat - get something really, really good like imported chocolate, and splurge/celebrate after your shot with a reasonable serving. Then, put it away until next week.

Are you able to exercise? Not only can it burn calories, it can improve your mood, and give you such a great feeling of accomplishment, even if it's something small and slow.
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #11  
.::On a Mission::.

S/C/G: 257/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'2"

Hello ... It's been over a year after diagnosis on Avonex ... and I'm maintaining a normal life ... now ... as far as weight ... I can't blame my MS for not losing ... But my PCP and Neuro continually tells me to lose weight ... b/c many of my symptoms and discomforts ... can be allievated if I weren't so heavy ... I do lose partial vision (right eye ON) in the heat so my exercising always seems to be cut short out of merely fear ... and out of frustration I don't start up again ... but they both encouraged me to simply walk ... and it has been my greatest joy! I hope to build up to the point where I can partake in aerobics past 18mins ... but I've been able to walk throught the fatigue ... and numbness ... over the last few weeks ... I hope to keep it up and in the meantime build strength for back up when I have my not so good days ...
MadamePJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #12  
M.S. + living balance

Hey MadamePJ.... it sounds like we're in similar places. I'm hoping to be the inspiration for my own parents and family despite MS and being on Rebif, the subcuteaneous version of Avonex.

Fear held me back from a lot of physical activity and I've been walking a lot too. I used to do an hour long step aerobics class that would make one of my legs go numb... but now I'm also swimming and riding a stationary bike when I get a chance. The last activity that really helped me deal with MS is pilates.. there are 12 basic moves that help build strength.

I just wanted to say props to everyone managaing the avonex shots. I'm sure you get used to it and all, but as a needle phobic I think it's so impressive
Old 09-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #13  
ANewMaria

S/C/G: 197/197/135

Height: 5 feet

Hi everybody Newbie here to 3FC- Im Maria, i was diagnosed right after my son was born in 1993- had my ups and way downs with the whole rollercoaster ride called MS lol- Im not taking any meds for it anymore- i was taking copaxone and my body hated it- so no more of that
someone said something about walking til their foot starts to drag lol i hear ya on that one, same here-
im doing well with weight watchers and managed to shed 15 lbs so far this month- i have not excersised one bit- eeks!
i have osteo arthritis and fibromyalgia too so i have to really pace myself which is a pain in the butt-
either which way im sticking to WW and changing my lifestyle
glad to find this group on here

you all sound very positive which is awesome!

hugs
maria
aNewMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #14  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

Hi everyone, I too have joined the "club", I was diagnosed April 10th. I woke up one morning in December '07 and couldn't control my left leg. After an ultrasound, x-rays, a visit with a neurosurgeon and 4 MRI's, I was diagnosed by a neurologist. No LP needed *whew*, I had a history and confirmed ON in my left eye.

I will soon be taking Rebif and I need to remove 30-65 lbs (depending on where I want to land). I am 44.
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #15  
M.S. + living balance

Hey shooting sorry to hear your bad news. I want to encourage you that you CAN lose weight successfully.. with MS. even on Rebif. Having lost a lot of weight and been on rebif for nearly 2 years.. I would say the two factors combined have given me an amazing quality of life.

Keep us posted on your progress - you can do this even with MS and with those darn injections.