Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Default Weight gain on anti-depressants and possible hypothyroid?!

Hello ladies (and possible gents),

Just wondering if anyone here has had weight-gain issues with taking anti-depressants? I've been on SRI medication for almost two years (first fluoxetine, then when that wasn't working as well, citalopram) and I've put on 15-20lbs without having done anything differently, and the weight is still slowly rising. I asked a doctor about this and he told me there are no known weight-related side effects of taking these meds, but the pattern is fairly obvious to me. I can't stop taking them because I'll just crash again, but the weight gain is so frustrating when I've been battling fat all my life!

A second thing I want to ask is what are the most common effects of hypothyroidism? My mum thinks I have it and keeps telling me to go and get tested, but I have a phobia of blood-tests I know I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get it done at some point in my life, but it terrifies me.
But the sympoms I have are (obviously) excess weight and virtual impossibility of losing it, depression and feeling sleepy most of the time when I'm not actually out of the house doing stuff. I can just go in my room and the temptation to have a nap is terrible, lol. My energy levels are terrible.

So, any advice/help/similar stories are much welcome.
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/203/140

Hello. I am on anti-depressants/anxiety medicine and have an underactive thyroid as well. When you have an underactive thyroid it is rather hard to lose weight. I always feel sluggish and tired even though I am on medication for it. I've had this tyroid issue for years and my levels still aren't regulated because I've had to switch doses of the medication numerous times.

As far as the anti-depressants go, I have heard that they do make you gain weight. I have gained weight but I am not sure if that is directly to the medication or just my splurging while being depressed.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit!
dani girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Marchmallow, I was on Prozac for a year, which I believe the generic name is fluoxetine, and I gained 20 pounds. I was able to lose that, but have since put the weight back on. I stopped taking it in May.

If you need it, I would definitely still keep taking it. It's weight you can lose, but like with everything else, you need to stay on track (which I wasn't).
novelistabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #4  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Something else that most docs don't discuss is that some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism can mimic those of depression...or in the case of depression, make the symptoms worse.

My synthroid levels were off, in addition to changing birth control about a year ago. I thought I was losing my mind. All I could do was sit on the couch and cry. I didn't have the energy to do anything. Meds were tweaked, and life got better.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

I have underactive thyroid and was on anti depressents and it made me pile the weight on i have come off them now and im doing a diet and iv lost 7lbs so far xxx
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Marchmallow, you should definitely be tested for thyroid. I have been a couple of times, and am not low thyroid, tho I have symptoms of it, which can also be symptoms of being overweight and underactive. I was always a little disappointed not to be low thyroid. But I digress....
Many ssri meds have effects on weight. The first time I was on Zoloft, I lost 10 pounds without even trying. When I went on a few years ago, I found it had the opposite effect. I would say the reasons for being on it were different, the first time for chronic pain, the second for depression. There is definitely a "chicken-egg" thing with anti-depressants, depression and weight gain. All linked together.
I have recently switched to wellbutrin, and promptly lost a couple of pounds doing exactly what I have been doing for a year, so I am hoping that will continue for me. I am happy to work with diet and exercise, but my loss has been extremely slow, so a little revving up of the metabolism will be most welcome.
I am a midwife, and do many blood draws. For people like you who have extreme fear of blood draws, I do the procedure with the client lying down. THis helps the client to look away, and I might play the radio or have her sing a bit. See if you can find a way to help you with your fear.
good luck
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Sunrises View Post
Something else that most docs don't discuss is that some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism can mimic those of depression...or in the case of depression, make the symptoms worse.

My synthroid levels were off, in addition to changing birth control about a year ago. I thought I was losing my mind. All I could do was sit on the couch and cry. I didn't have the energy to do anything. Meds were tweaked, and life got better.
HUGE ditto to this! Being severely hypo during my cancer treatment (my TSH had to rise to over 100!) I felt EXTREMELY despressed! Now that my thyroid levels are regulated, I still can tell if I am going a little hypo. I would definitly get it checked. And while you are at it, have them check your Vit D level. Most of us are deficient and taking a simple mega dose of vit D can really get you out of a funk. I was medicating myself with SSRI before my doc finally checked my vit d level, it was only 6!!!!!!!! Normal is 30-80! After 2 months of mega D3 supplements I was feeling so much better that I weaned off my Zoloft.

I also read a lot about simper exercise rendering the same if not better results than and SSRI for mild to mod depression. That motivated me to start running Good luck to you!
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote