Best diet for the hypothroid person?

You're on Page 4 of 6
Go to
  • There are a few causes of low thyroid, one of them can be low Iodine. Including Celtic sea salt into your diet can be very beneficial! Or just putting a few drops of Lugo's Iodine into the water can help a lot! Another one is Copper toxicity, and anyone on the pill probably has it... The best way to fix that is to supplement with Zinc (try biglycinate form) which replaces copper. 50 mg per day should be a good amount. Zinc also helps with digestion, immune system and it is basically in every chemical reaction in our body - wonderful mineral, not gonna hurt anyone!

Focus on foods that are not processed and contain iodine (sea food) and that are high in Zinc (lamb and sea food)

About goitrogens in cruciferous vegetables - I wouldn't recommend avoiding them all together since they are very healthy, but you must cook them well!

I hope you find this useful! I have a blog if you want more nutrition advice (www dot nadyapeche dot com)

Good luck!
  • Many thanks to all of you, nice to meet you all. My latest
    Quote: I hear you... But recognize thyroid disease is a plural word. There are many forms. It's not as simple as some other disease processes. (I take synthroid for the record.. And don't have hashimotos) Also, we have a high rate of familial diagnosis for hypothyroid, along with other autoimmune processes including celiac disease, arthritis lupus and juv diabetes.

There are many protocols that won't work for everyone... The one I chose does not forgive cheats as some diets do. You gotta be all in. I was desperate to lose.. And decided to give 3 mos "all in" at 100% compliance. By then I'd lost over 25 lbs. The decision to stick with it was a no brainer. My body liked that diet. Like I said .. Easy to do something that works, I don't do well with no results. I'm on board for the long haul now and have lost as much as I needed to. Now just going for a few more lbs as a buffer to allow glycogen store rebound and still wear all my new clothes. I'll be doing a modified paleo going forward. It's gluten free and heavy in high fiber salads and veggies... Which I have no problem with.
    My latest bk. I'm reading is "why do i still have thyroid symptoms' Datis Kharrazian..So the learning continues. After all the readings,and your info. kindly offered I suppose that going low carb/paleo/etc. is going to be my next 'all in' effort. I love veggies,but then I love food. I'm old now 71 where did the time go? and about 50lbs. from where a healthy me should/and would be. I'd like to meet up w/you again soon here on this board,if that's ok. regards, choices.
  • Quote: My latest bk. I'm reading is "why do i still have thyroid symptoms' Datis Kharrazian..So the learning continues. After all the readings,and your info. kindly offered I suppose that going low carb/paleo/etc. is going to be my next 'all in' effort. I love veggies,but then I love food. I'm old now 71 where did the time go? and about 50lbs. from where a healthy me should/and would be. I'd like to meet up w/you again soon here on this board,if that's ok. regards, choices.
    Hi there Choices..nice to have another senior around! (I am 65...and lost 65 lbs this year for my birthday gift to me!) The challenges of being older and dieting are real. It does seem to take longer.

I agree about "where'd the time go..." but am having a ball at this point...never ever thought I'd be on the thin side again. Hoping the low carb veggies and modified paleo help me stay in this range. Keep us posted on how it works for you. The low carb / low glycemic diet I've been on actually has a forum with a lot of posters and many have thyroid problems...some became obvious recently, but others like me, have been dealing with it a L-O-N-G time.
  • Hey 65x65..where is the forum you mentioned? I will connect when I find it. Thanks..for your response. ;o)
  • Quote: Hey 65x65..where is the forum you mentioned? I will connect when I find it. Thanks..for your response. ;o)
    Sent you a PM..let me know if you can't find it..you can also link through my profile and see where the majority postings I've made are.
  • 65x65 I would like to find the low carb forum too...thyroid issues, 69 and cannot lose. Weight...my problem is I really do not like too many veggies I have tried them so many ways...but am trying...
  • hypo-thyroid
    hi people. i'm hypo-thyroid too. diagnosed several years ago. i takle thyroxine daily..100 mcgs, i'm ok but i have terrible fatigue issues. i'm on OPTIFAST. ive lost 15 kilo's, that's about 33 pounds i think , in 2 months. it's pretty good for me. i'm so slow and lethargic though . the only movement i get is 10 mins at 4.4 km per hour on my dreadmill, daily, and weights for 15 minutes when i remember, hopefully 3 times per week. good luck, hope this helps, xxx
  • hello 65x65, choices and deelou, it's so nice to meet senior ladies. i'mm 55. i am interested in the paleo diet…i might look into it further. io'm on optifast as i said. i thnink it is like your medifast. anyway i have finally lost a heap, still going, i need to lose a heap more yet. i would love to keep chatting wioth you ladies…cheers
  • Quote: Can't seem to find what the best plans are for losing some of this weigh gain due to hypo. and which works best,(if you work it of course). Low fat/medifast/low carb? My weight just doesn't want to budge, like a 1/8lb.a wk. will take me a lifetime to reach healthy. What do you all do that's working? Thanks for sharing.
    i use OPTIFAST. it is working xxx *hugs* i've lost 14 kilo's in 11 weeks so far. i feel great. finally i have found the answer to my prayers. i'm 55 and i was quite desperate.
  • Hi All..
    Checking in.
    I've been off the grid for a month or so. Recently lost my 88 YO mother after a long illness. It is hard and so sad, although we knew she would not get better again. It's hard to lose a parent. No matter that I'm 65.

With that personal emotional situation and the US Thanksgiving holiday just passed...pretty happy only being up a little over 2 pounds this week...and am working on getting that off (and maybe another 1+) before our Christmas travel begins. At any rate...will get things on track once January gets here. I really want to lose a bit more by spring.

I looking forward to hearing more from you ladies. For now I'm playing with strategies and techniques for maintenance. This is a hard time to be able to call my own shots but am not willing to regain.

Nice to see you ladies around the town, and looking forward to getting to know you!
    kathie
  • hi cathy and everyone else (i don't remember all your names but i read your posts and i understand where you are all coming from…hypo-thyroid is definitely an obstacle i think i have found an answer with my optifasdt. in any case , i have lost 14 kilo's this effort and last time i lost 20. i put 10 on again through obsessive over-eating. anyway optifast is very strict but easy to do as it is a ketosis diet. do you know about it? i will explain if you want.

it suppresses your hunger . yah. it's very easy for that reason. good luck to everyone. i love this thread and this forum in general.

• There is no special diet for hypothyroidism. You can stabilise your weight increase by getting the meds right. The rest is the same old hard work everyone has to do.

Get the right dose of meds can take a while but work with your doctor. That's all you need do.
  • I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 5 1/2 years ago and getting on my meds and getting my levels in check was what helped me. I still had to change my eating and exercising habits (to healthy ones) but without my meds I can't even function. I don't think a specific diet would work for everyone who is hypothyroid but #1 is getting your meds and your levels in the "good" zone.
  • I don't have a thyroid so I found it very easy to put on weight. I think what has helped me to lose weight is eating better food and therefore eating less processed food which is not good for me at all.
  • So glad to have found this thread, as I am learning to treat my hypothyroidism with Synthyroid. I am currently taking 150 mcgs and it's working...I feel great! No more being tired and wiped out all the time! Plus I am losing weight! Will try to catch-up on some of the posts!

Blessings!