Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #16  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Lottie! Hope you're getting as much support here at 3FC as I have!

Rosebud-you've sure had your share of computer issues this winter-hope that gets cleared up quickly. I've had a lot of problems sleeping lately and my DH always has insomnia, so I know how frustrating lack of sleep can be. Hope you have sweet dreams tonight and feel more rested!

It's been another day inside today due to about 6" more snow and lots of wind. But, still doing ok with the eating I think it has helped a bit that I'm taking time to watch tv programs when they have weight loss successes on them-Rachel Ray was really good yesterday and Dr. Oz almost always has some good hints, but, of course, I just take what I think will work for me and leave the rest, because it can get really overwhelming to attempt every plan/idea they put on the shows

Made tacos for dinner tonight-yummm! Now, I'm ready to fall asleep, but will stay up a couple more hours-early morning today and had lots of chores in the house, so now I'm beat.

Well, hope you all have a great evening!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #17  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

LOTTIE ~ nice to have you drop by our thread over here. I'm glad to hear that you are having some success feeling better. I know others with FIBRO would appreciate any helpful hints they can get.

HI RONNIE ~ I was able to get to bed earlier the next night and get a good night's sleep. Sometimes I get those nights but I am fortunate that I can make them up soon after. If I am chilled or too hot, I have trouble getting to sleep. If there is too much noise or my mind won't stop thinking, the same thing happens. I find reading helps tire me so that I can sleep better; I'm sure watching TV or a movie does the same for others too (I know it does for my DH) ...

Glad you are doing better with the eating; I am doing well this month too. Actually since about the middle of January, I have been in a good groove. I am finding that if I eat a bit later, that helps me not want to snack as much. As I have mentioned before, meals are OK for me; it's the snacking that I wrestle with. Plus finding the right kinds of things to snack on that satisfies me, yet are things that I won't be tempted to binge on, was key for me.

I switched to SALTLESS nuts becuz the salt on the other kind was addictive for me. I wanted to eat a few nuts becuz they are a protein and a good healthy snack for me -- I am so glad that I finally found the best way to eat them. I also like those 1/2 cup natural applesauce packs (no sugar added); they help me to feel full too.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow; then the weekend to follow -- take good care ... Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #18  
wishin' for sun!

Rosebud-I know exactly what you mean about snacking! I just always want to be snacking on something I've been keeping fruit and dark chocolate on hand to tame the munchies. I also eat saltless nuts sometimes, but I just don't like nuts all that well--however, I loooooove peanut butter So, I put it on my bananas! I've been using info from the Carb-lover's Diet about resistant starch and it seems to be helping me keep from being hungry as well as jump-started my weight loss again. I'll just see how it goes.

Not much else going on here-too cold to do anything except sit under a blanket and watch the tube (which actually isn't a tube anymore, so don't know what to call it)

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #19  
Rosebud

Quote:
I've been using info from the Carb-lover's Diet about resistant starch and it seems to be helping me keep from being hungry as well as jump-started my weight loss again.
HI RONNI ~ that sounds interesting; have never heard of that. What kinds of foods are they talking about?

I have been noticing that if I eat my dinner a little later, that I feel less hungry in the evening; and if I eat certain kinds of foods, that I feel more satisfied ie lean roast beef with lots of veggies and a small wg roll fills me quicker than say the same with a small potato -- not sure why that is!

The other night, I couldn't even finish my dinner; gave some to our dear NIKO so it didn't go to waste. I use a rule about eating the veggies & meat first, so I had .5 of a small potato left, etc. Having both fills me up faster too.

I am finding that some foods fill me up faster and longer; so I am trying to keep track of that. For instance, I love corn; most goes right through my system anyways, but I like it as a substitute for potatoes, etc.

I am also delaying my breakfast time and that helps me too. I have a banana and coffee upon waking; then have my breakfast mid-morning, so then I don't have any desire for a morning snack. This is helping me to eliminate one snack a day.

Like you, I love peanut butter; so I try to incorporate it into my breakfast or lunch even so it fits into my plan better. That's a good idea to put it on your banana; apple slices are nice too and I love it on baby carrots: they compliment each other well.

Today, I had only one wg bread for lunch with homemade beef veggie soup; and saved the other for my afternoon snack; that worked out well for me. I did the same for breakfast; cut the whole grain in half of what I might usually have had. I feel OK so far.

Time to go put our leftover chicken on for dinner; will have some veggies and brown rice with that; take care ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-09-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #20  
wishin' for sun!

Rosebud-the carb-lover's diet says to use foods containing resistant starch to keep filling full and help speed weight loss. They say that resistant starch is a kind that just passes through the system without being broken down and causing blood sugar spikes or being converted to fat. They say you shouldh have between 10 & 15 g resistant starch per day. Green bananas have the most at about 12.5g, but they are hard to eat. Ripe bananas have 4.7, so I eat slightly green ones on my cereal in the morning (they want you to start your day with a banana alone or in something else-and you already do that, I see). Other things with the resistant starch are (# grams are per serving): uncooked/toasted oatmeal 4.6g
white beans, cooked or canned 3.8g
lentils, cooked 3.4g
potatoes, cooked and cooled (think potato salad), 1 small 3.2
garbanzo beans, cooked or canned, 1/2 cup 2.1
plantain, cooked 2.7
whole-wheat pasta, cooked, 1 cup 2.0
barley, cooked, 1/2 cup 1.9g
white pasta, 1 cup 1.9g
boiled potatoes with skin (warm), 1.8g
and lots more stuff. There are probably lists on the web, too, but if you want I could probably scan in the entire list and send it to you if you want to pm me your e-mail.

As you can see, it's all the foods we're being told are healthiest to eat, with the whole grains having more resistant starch than the white stuff. But, of course, you're also restricting calorie intake, so what I'm seeing is that the resistant starch keeps me from being hungry all the time and allows me to feed my carb cravings (I have never, ever been able to stick to a low-carb diet for more than a week-I just need my carbs). But, and it's a big one, I have to be really careful how many bananas I eat, due to the ongoing issue of constipation

Well, not much else going on here-some of that nasty white stuff has started melting the last 2 days and more melt to come, they say Must get DS3 on his schoolwork, so I'd better get moving! ttfn!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #21  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Hi Ladies - I was walking on the local track and I thought of you (I walk pretty much every day, and I do it with a friend -- this way I'm largely unable to overdo it) and I'm still doing yoga whenever possible -- it's a lot less necessary to manage my stress because I left my municipal government job and work as an executive officer at a university college.

Life has been an interesting journey the last year or so and I'm learning to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise -- one that doesnt include obsessing, guilt or injuring myself. I have gained some weight back, and I have lost some. I am maintaining and that's awesome Life with MS is difficult.. and it's hard to eat right and exercise when I'm dizzy, numb and/or exhausted but the most important thing I'm learning is to be present in whatever I'm feeling. Only then can I manage life in a healthy way.

I had my five year brain MRI last week. I've made new friends, and I've had old friends walk away. But just wanted to send some love to rosebud and purpleorc! I would visit more often, but in order for me to be healthy I'm not able at the moment to visit much online with calorie tracking or diet websites. *hug*

ps. way to go rosebud on your slow and steady successes way to go!

Last edited by valpal23; 02-14-2011 at 08:28 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #22  
Rosebud

HI VAL ~ so happy to hear from you, sweetie -- nice of you to come by and let us know how you are doing. I think of you and PURPLE often; and I still pray for you both, and likely always will. I am glad that you have found another job that you like better; one of my nieces works for a university in Thunder Bay and loves it.

Yes, I have been continuing to lose inches, and lbs, and sizes; slowly though, but in between managing to maintain too and like you, I am so very happy about that. That's why I love the PORTION PLAN (the NO-Diet Diet) so much; I know that I can stick with this long-term and when I eat a little more than I need to, I just continue on and any damage works it way out in the end. It's the law of averages thing ...

I have being doing so well since Christmas; I'm getting better at choosing healthier foods and snacks (still workin' on the snacks as you may have read in a previous post, but I'm improving all the time).

I agree that the most important thing is to focus on life; you have extra challenges for someone your age, but you are doing so well too. I admire your tenacity; and I just know that you'll be OK. That's a mile-stone for you I know, the 5-year mark; and you'll have many, many more, I'm sure.

PURPLE has been busy helping out her family; her sister had her back surgury and needed PURPLE's help to look after her 4 daughters/family. Also her DAD had some health issues at that time too. We haven't heard from her in a while, but I am sure she thinks of us now & then; as I know I do -- good friends just do, that's all.

I wish you well, girl; and by all means, do come back some time and keep us updated. I 'll be here as long as I have a PC that will bring me: I'm on a very old one right now (it's very slow) until my newer one arrives; that is why my posts here have been less lately. I post in other threads as well, and just have to spread them out at bit.

Hope your family is well too; and do take good care of yourself ... Rosebud

THANKS RONNIE ~ for the information; sounds like we are already eating those things now, eh? I buy my bananas a little green too; not all green, just a bit of both yellow & green, so they are still edible. I read somewhere that greenish bananas have less sugar in them also so were a better choice for those watching their sugar intake like diabetics. Seems beans are up there too. I have the old-fashioned large oatmeal a lot for breakfast but I cook mine for about 5-7 minutes.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-16-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #23  
Rosebud

HI EVERYONE ~ Well, we have certainly been blessed over the last 2 weeks -- with lots of and warmer temps during the daytime. It has been a bit colder at night, but the sun makes up for that. We had only one day with some pretty ***** in between there; not too bad for February in northern Canada, I'd say ...

I did up my income tax return this morning: it was the fastest ever simply becuz they changed the form & the rules; so we aren't getting a rebate back for the first time in my life, but we don't owe anything either (thank the LORD). So we are just making an income statement to the gov, moreorless. I just like to get it done and gone as quick as possible.

Am resting up my injured left knee; staying home to relax and getting DH to do all the errands & running around this weekend. He picked up some BBQ spit chicken for dinner; I will make some brown rice and veggies to go along with that. Might have a bit of coleslaw too, I think.

I have been going to bed a bit earlier each night to help my knee heal up; even if I don't sleep all of the time, at least it's up and resting. Along with lots of prayers from friends & relatives, it must be working becuz it is feeling much better today -- yeah!!! DOC says I have to keep on crutches for a while yet though, to make sure it has healed completely.; I'd rather not go through this again so I'll have to be very careful in the future.

Our phone got knocked off yesterday; called the repairmen and those nice fellas showed up quite promptly for a late Friday afternoon. Felt foolish becuz we had knocked off the second phone in the bedroom somehow which knocked the main line off completely -- either I did it with my crutches or our dear NIKO may have bumped it too; but the guys were nice about it and checked to make sure all was working well and that my PC was working too before they left.

When I went to the doctors last week, I had the best blood pressure reading yet -- for me, at least (132/76). I am so glad for this NSV -- as it makes all this so worth it to see these improvements to my overall health. Have been eating very well through this whole month of February and am very pleased about that as well.

There's only a few days left and March will be here; that signals that SPRING is just around the corner too ... Hope all our friends here are having a wonderful weekend; take good care ... Rosebud
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #24  
Rosebud

HAPPY MARCH EVERYONE ~

Well, March came in with a roar; but hopefully, it will go out like a lamb! We had a blizzard here yesterday; lots of blowing ***** snow from around dinnertime and all through the night. By this morning, things had totally cleared up (amazing); and we had beautiful all day long. The temps have dipped down to -20C tonight, but the skies are clear and I can see the stars ...

I took some leftover chicken, added some veggies; and put it all in my crockpot to make a nice light stew today -- it was delish. We just had a light snack around 9 PM, then DH and our dear FIDO went to bed around 10. I think he was pushing around too much snow today ...

My left knee is starting to feel much better; by the evening, it starts to ache a bit, so gotta put it up for a while so it can rest. Will go to bed a bit early again tonight to give it more time up; I just read a bit before going to sleep. I'm just staying home mostly; but did have to do some grocery shopping last Monday as DH just doesn't know what to buy. So his job will be all the errands, odd jobs, and pick-ups instead; but he likes to do those.

Hope all our friends here are having a good week; take good care, and keep warm out there ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #25  
Rosebud

HI TO EVERYONE HERE ~ well, finally my PC is calmer tonight so that I have been able to get some replies in; this is my fourth one. My PC has really been jamming up on me this month. I was only coming in about 2-3 times a week so that I could do my emails on the other nights; but my PC would jam up so badly that on some days, I couldn't get a post in. Even my reading got behind becuz I couldn't move around the different forums either. It would jam or freeze up so that I would have to close down IE completely ...

But I kept trying and would get one post in here or there; and tonight EUREKA -- found a good, clear night which happens once in a while. Said a few prayers before I came in too; so I'm sure that helped too!

I have been eating very well this month; only had one slip-up of popcorn but ate well for the rest of the day and week to make up for that and it worked out well for me. It was an emotional reaction thing; but I am getting much better at this -- once a month (or less) isn't too bad really. I am really trying hard to replace salty snacks with non-salted nuts and other healthy things too.

We had a big ***** storm last week that dumped about 2 feet (or more) of snow in a 24 hour period. We've had mostly since then with some colder temps, but it has been melting a little bit too. The sun does make it seem like spring is just around the corner after all.

We can't wait for all the snow to melt so we can get out to our lot this year; hopefully we'll be able to stay out there now and then this year. Gonna pick up a futon mattress for my bed/couch (we have cushions for DH's already); so if the weather is OK, we'll be able to stay out there more often. We are gonna try it anyways and see how it goes.

Hope everyone here is feeling well; and trudging along with confidence in their good-health journey. Take good care, and have a great week coming up ... Rosbud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #26  

Heya, I normally only post in the 100+ lbs to lose forum but I wrote a blog today about fibromyalgia and exercise and my kind of...hopes for the future. (link below) but anyhow, this winter I've been dealing with it better than last, and I hope that next winter is better than this one.
ahmedayad is offline   Reply With Quote