Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #46  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI FRIENDS ~ we had lovely all day today; and our big rug was able to dry (we had hung it outdoors to clean it and freshen it up a bit and it worked too). We had a quiet day and went for a drive out to a favorite lake this afternoon and saw some lovely loon couples there.

Made pizza at home for supper; and did some crocheting this evening; and yakking with friends. Have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 288/260/160

Height: 5'5

Default helloo!!!

Hiya! I found your thread! Thank you for telling me about it! I am about to go to the gym but I will tell a short version of my story for everyone when I get back...gotta go before it closes! Hope everyone is having a Happy Mother's Day!
Disneychick29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #48  

Welcome to the thread disney. Thanks Rosebud for keeping us going!

Happy Mothers Day! to those celebrating today. We had ours in March in the UK, dunno why we're all different? Another one of life's great mysteries. LOL

Well, I got the recumbent exercise machine last week and its great. I'll be able to use it most days without too much of a problem - LOL - WHEN I GET THE TIME ROFL!!! Been so busy this past week. Kids have so much on and SO has been welding the Jag back together (looks incredible) and when he does this I have to take up all the chores around the house that he "forgets" LOL. I'm a shed-widow. So I haven't had much time to post on here or do anything interesting.

I've been extremely good on the diet this week. Had my treat of the week yesterday when out with the kids - rum and raisin icecream YAYYYY! And as I sit here surrounded by cookies and crisps, having a low-cal hot chocolate drink to try and keep me sane, I have made the monumentous decision to weigh myself tomorrow. Don't do it very often, can't bear the heartache, but the trousers and jeans are all feeling a little looser, so I am gonna go for it.

Weather has been great this weekend, very sunny yesterday and the kids were out playing football and running about all afternoon, they were knackered. Actually got a lie-in this morning! Got myself a black pair of the same trainers I got last week and was breaking them in. Legs are feeling it tonight, so maybe take it easy tomorrow ie just do ALL the housework, get the kids to school, go to school meeting, have a big fight with ex-husband about his kids right to have a bed to sleep in, sort out my sock drawer, do the washings and the drying and the ironing and the putting away AND cook a big ham joint! Ah the joys...

Well I need to go start a To Do list and a shopping list, so take care all and have a good week!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #49  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Glad to see things are going about as usual for everyone-lol! And, welcome to Disney! We love new faces

It's been a busy few days (or more, I guess). Our church had a nice Senior Recognition thing for the graduating kids - 10 this year in our church! And, 4 are 2 pairs of twins, but all are very nice kids. DS2 received quite a bit of money to help with school expenses and all the kids got several towels and blankets, which, I guess, is an old town joke-something about hoping the boys will actually take showers after they're away from the moms to remind them All I know for sure is that I'm not really ready for him to leave home Hopefully, the summer will give me more time to get used to the idea. It was kind of sad too, knowing that my dad didn't get to see any of his grandsons graduate. He had been a school teacher/superintendent/college prof. and always encouraged their education.

We've been hoping to get started on the garden, but every time we even think about tilling, it either rains or freezes! Had to cover the strawberries the last 2 nights to try to protect from the freeze. Maybe later this week, we'll be able to get out there with the tiller and seeds.

Went to MN to take DH's mom out for Mother's Day yesterday-Chinese restaurant owned by some really wonderful friends of ours. Really, really good food! But, don't even ask me how my eating plan's been going I will get back on plan, I will get back on plan, I will get back on plan.......

I can't believe how sadness has affected my eating-all I want is carbs, carbs, carbs. And, it's hard to believe how sad I still feel. I know this will get better, but right now, it's like looking into a deep, dark pit and never seeing the bottom.

Well, just have to keep busy. And, we must get Mom's lawn mowed before the rain starts again today, so I'd better be off. You all take care! Have a wonderful day!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #50  
Rosebud

to our thread, DISNEYCHICK ~ glad you found us over here. What kind of things do you like to do at your gym? Oh, I think I remember that you mentioned weights to me in introductions ... the old memory, ya know; fades a bit now & then ... Do come back and tell us your story!

TIGZ ~ with all that busyness and activity, you are surely getting lots of exercise in anyways. Think of all the calories of energy that you are burning off -- that's what I do. I don't even think of it as work anymore. I spread things out over my mornings so that I can burn some energy each morning. I take Sunday off for a complete rest and sometimes Saturdays too, if I have everything done during the week (which is my aim). Glad that you enjoy your recumbent bike; I have a bum knew so I had too much trouble trying to peddle it, so I had to look for something else -- I ended up using a rowing machine instead plus hand-weights, stretchie bands, chair aerobics, dancing, and walking, of course ...

RONNI ~ we have been busier lately too; we always have more to do in the spring and summer. I was going to plant my garden early but changed my mind as well, becuz we keep getting frigid temps @ 0 C or 32 F or lower and we had some ***** again this weekend. It was a finer pellet type of snow but the winds were ferocious making it feel more like 10 below or sorry, 22 F or less. I have been eating pretty good, but today I seemed extra hungry and may have eaten a bit more than needed, so will have to reign that in tomorrow. YOu know though, sometimes, when I eat a bit more, I lose a few lbs anyways, so you never know.

I'm glad things worked out so well for your DS2; lots of encouragement there, but you know he can still call you and come home for the holidays. It has been a pretty stressful year for you and your family; BUT your DAD will definitely know that you sons are graduating. I believe we know even more up there than we do here; and that is some positive news that I'm sure he will be glad to inquire about ... ^PRAYERS^ continue for you and yours ...

WE had a quiet weekend at home but since we were so busy last week doing other things, we had a few things to do around here to keep us busy, but we decided to really have a respite this past weekend just for the heck of it. We went to look at a car early on Saturday morning, but the guy was so controlling that he wouldn't even let DH drive it; and DH was not impressed and said I am not buying a vehicle that I can't even try out ... oh dear!

Anyhow, we let that man keep his control and his car! There were several other reasons we passed on it besides that too; but we will keep an eye out for a good deal for the future as we don't expect this car to last very long (we've been having some issues with it again). I am literally praying that GOD will give us wisdom this time, as we would like to buy a vehicle that will last us longer (like 7+ years or more) even if we have to pay a bit more for it.

Hope you all have a wonderful week coming up; and do take good care of yourselves too ... Rosebud
Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #51  

LOST 5LBS!

Yeeeeehaaaaaaa! Sitting here celebrating with low-cal hot choc and snack-a-jacks! Savouring the flavour. LOL

Legs and back have been quite bad the last couple of days, not sure whats set them off. So been resting today, did a little jewellery. Had a headache start during the night at some point, was actually aware of it when I was sleeping. Does anyone else get that? So getting the kids up and off to school this morning was a bit of a test, but they were at their gardening club after-school class so I got an extra hours rest in the end. Just hope tomorrow is a bit better.

Been nice here the last few days, but bitterly cold. The mountain at the front of our house had a new dusting of snow on it this morning - Enough already - its May!

Well, I'm off for the night. Going to bed early with my book, try to chill.

Take care all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #52  
Rosebud

TO YOU, TIGZ ~ that's terrific news -- 5 more lbs gone forever!!! It's nice to lose a big amount like that too. Glad things are going better for you this week. Yes, it seems that old man winter doesn't want to leave us this year, but at least it isn't lasting very long.

We were blessed with three days in a row; the temps were in the high 50's F today. That is nice when the wind isn't blowing; and it felt warmer than that.

I just stayed home and did some light housechores; made scooby-doo pasta with HM chili tomato sauce (just canned tomato soup + chunky medium salsa and a few herbs etc). It turned out really nice and have a bit left for lunch tomorrow too. EDIT TO ADD: I also put lean hamburger and chopped onions in this dish; fry them up then add the salsa and tomato soup with some herbs & spices to taste.

Our car is in the garage for an inspection/tune-up tonight. One of DH's friends has come out of retirement (he was too bored) and opened up a garage. He is a licenced, experienced mechanic and already saw that some hoses had been removed from our car; why, no-one knows? Hope he can fix that gas leaking problem for us once and for all ...

Some more flowers are blooming now; one big yellow daffodil and some pink tulips too. TIme for a tea break -- hope you all have a lovely Thursday tomorrow and do take good care ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-13-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #53  
Rosebud

HI ~ we had lovely for most of the day then some clouds rolled in later on; maybe some comin' ??? Today was floor day for me: mopping and vacuuming; that gives you some exercise and passes the morning very quickly.

Went outdoors and soaked in some for awhile; put my legs up too and did some reading this afternoon. DH's sister popped by for a short visit; then made dinner of fish, coleslaw, sliced tomatoes, and baked sweet potato fries (I really like these and they are chocked full of Vitamin A too). I made some homemade Turkey, Veggie & Rice Soup for lunch today as well.

Had a good OP week, esp from Tuesday on. Hope you all have a FANTABULOUS FRIDAY tomorrow; and do take good care ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-13-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #54  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We had on and off all day long today; but the grass and the flowers and the trees need that, dont' they? It is supposed to be nice and for the whole weekend but we are stuck at home as our car is in the garage, but we had good news about that. It took this qualified mechanic only 15 minutes to correct some mistakes made by some young apprentices last fall.

They had taken things apart and didn't put them back on correctly, hence why we had gas fumes backing up into our car ... oh dear, not very safe really! BTW -- that garage was recently sold and new licenced mechanics were hired, but we won't be going back there ... uhuh ...

We will be getting a few more things done on the car at the same time, so we may have old Betsy back by Monday or sooner; we'll see, but she will be in much better shape ... thank GOD for answered prayers! Will be sticking around home and enjoying the nice weather.

Hope you all have a good weekend; take care ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-15-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #55  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, everyone! Gosh, it seems like we've been busy-running around and trying to finish up the school year. DS2 wants to keep working on a couple subjects this summer-he's a little worried about college. He's having a terrible time finding a job, too. Seems all the available (and what used to be for teenagers) jobs are being given to older people who are laid off.

We have finally gotten a good start on getting in our garden-beans, carrots, onions, lettuce, radishes, potatoes and sweet potatoes, so far. Also, planted some annual flowers in flower beds and pots, but need to get more and also some tomatoes, melons, cabbages, and maybe sweet peppers for the vegetable garden. Our strawberries have a profusion of blooms and even some little tiny green berries already!

Not much else going on here. Lots to do. Bathroom still is not done-maybe I forgot to tell you all, but the people we had do the first part of the job could not do the ceiling, so we're back to figuring out how to do it ourselves and hoping we can find someone to do the texture on it when we get the drywall up. DH has to do some wiring first, because we're adding a vent fan.

Rosebud-glad your car repair was figured out. DH hates it when garages have mechanics who don't know what they're doing. He works on cars a lot and always has, so if he has to rely on a garage, it's only because he doesn't have time to do what needs done. But, he really hates having to trust someone else to fix the problem, because many times, we have to have it re-done later Dealing with an alignment/brake issue with DS2's car right now which has been going on since we bought it and no one can seem to figure out the problem. I'm thinking it's time to invoke the 'lemon law' and get a different car. We'll see.

Well, you all have a great day! Must get busy here, because we need to mow Mom's lawn and go to the greenhouse Talk to you later!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #56  
Rosebud

THANKS, RONNI ~ well, what our mechanic thought was just hoses, turns out to be something much bigger, I'm afraid. I don't know what happen -- maybe a communications problem or what, I don't know ... but a hose problem changed to hoses & gas lines; then to hoses, gas lines, and a new gas tank. Well, I thought Ok -- I know approximately how much that will cost; we can handle that, BUT when DH came home the estimate also had a $300.00 + taxes gas pump on top of all that, and that was not including the labor or miscellaneous parts either (like clamps and connectors and so forth).

:eeks: Needless to say, I was very upset -- for here we go again; us having to fix one thing after another that the others didn't want to. It seems a long list of gas lines, brakes lines, brake pads, brake rotors, gas tank, gas (fuel) pumps, fuses, radiators, tires, and on and on and on ...

Now I can see why so many people here lease or only buy new and trade them in when the 5 year warranties wear off. I keep telling myself that it is better than a monthly payment, but we really are paying one anyways with so many repair costs. I told DH at this rate, we will have paid out enuff for a brand new car BUT still have an old clunker.

Sometimes, it is hard to know what to do. The mechanic says that the motor is still good on this car, but in the next breath was trying to talk my DH into buying a big diesel 4x4 truck the price of a house. If we had that kind of money, we wouldn't be there; we would just go buy a new one ...

We are just trying to keep this one going long enuff to save up to buy a better one, but it is taking so much of our money that it is hard to save for anything. This car has eaten up all our cottage money already; so it will be starting all over again to save for that too. We also were told that our car insurance is going up another 30% starting in June, which is an $170.00 increase (last year was 20% or $90.00 increase); and our heating company says that it is raising our rate so we will pay a miniumum of $10.00 more a month.

It wasn't nice to get so much bad $$$ news all at once. Anywho, I told DH that if he wants to do all those repairs, that he can pay for them himself with HIS savings for once (then he wanted to cancel the repairs, so we'll see). I am going to hold him to that too. The plan is to buy all the parts, then either DH can do the work himself or pay the mechanic to do it -- it's his choice!

ANYHOW, back to better things, I got some more gladiolas planted today; they are a pretty mix of colors too. We picked up some stones to put in the bottom of our drum and will get it prepared tomorrow AM so that I can plant it as well. I went to the store today and they wanted $1.79 for only 4 radishes ... Time to get the salad garden planted ... sheesh!

WE have lots of lovely flowers blooming in our side garden; will try to get some pics too. Hope you all have a great week ... Rosebud
Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #57  

Hiya. Hope everyone is well. Been busy as usual, it just never ends. Kinda fallen off the wagon a little, not too much, but I had a big bowl of icecream today. Got my monthlies, SO stressed me out telling me he wants another car and found out a childhood friend committed suicide last week, so I think the icecream can class as medicinal.

Was in the kids school yesterday afternoon, teaching them all to make jewellery. Was good fun, but I know I would not want to be a teacher! And these kids were great! Was exhausted last night with that and everything else.

Been making some more jewellery myself as well. Any spare time I have. Keeps my mind off things and keeps me away from the fridge! Going to have a stall at the school Summer Fete and see what I can sell.

SO has nearly finished restoring the Jag and she looks amazing. If its sunny tomorrow, I'll take some pics and post them. I feel for you Rosebud, cars are flippin expensive things. And now he wants a third one??? wtf? Don't think my nerves can take another one.

Well, I'm off. My parents are due back from Spain and the phone will be ringing any moment...

Take care all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 288/260/160

Height: 5'5

Hello everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome...sorry I haven't gotten a chance to tell you guys a little bit about myself sooner. I saw
Rosebud reply to me on another thread and she told me about this one!

Soooo for starters....I am so happy I found this website it really helps to know that there are others out there like me. I have been struggling with weight for quite awhile now. Not only due to a medical condition that I had but just from not eating the right things. I was diagnosed with a heart problem about 4 years ago. I was put on a ton of medicines and couldn't do any exercising...or driving for that matter. I would pass out alot due to my heart rate going too fast (260 beats per minute range) as the weight kept gaining and my heart kept getting worse I found out I needed to have a surgery (cardiac ablation) to burn out an extra electrical pathway in my heart that was causing my heart to go so fast...my medicine was no longer working and it was either that or a heart attack or stroke! Needless to say I had the surgery done and I had to be awake through the entire procedure so they could speed up my heart and find the extra pathway. It was one of the WORST experiences of my life (they went in through my legs not my chest thank goodness) LOL....so 4 years later and I am still on one medication. The Dr. said it was one of the longest pathways he has ever seen in his life they couldn't get it all because he was in fear that if he went too far I'd need a pacemaker. I also have a case of tachycardia that has nothing to do with my extra heart pathway! So to sum this all up my exercise is very limited. I am doing nothing but walking and a few weights. I think I have a complex because everytime my heart races when I walk I am scared I am going to have an attack where my heart goes crazy and I am going to pass out my normal sitting heart rate now is between 100 and 120. I moniter it very well so that it does not get too high. I see other people at the gym working out like crazy and jogging and going on the elyptical and I just can't do it. None of my friends really understand when they want me to go to the gym with them I feel like they think I am being lazy or something even though they know the situation. So that is why I am here!!! I would like to hear anyone else's stories on their journey of weightloss and I am praying that the dieting and walking and hopefully some good advice on how to tone up will help! I am taking it one step at a time. I would eventually like to cut my medicine down from losing weight. I hope I didn't bore you all with my long story...geez I wrote a novel! HAHAHA it did help to get some of this off of my chest! No pun intended hehehehee. I look forward to getting to know all of you!
Disneychick29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #59  
Rosebud

DISNEYCHICK ~ nice to see you back here; glad that your health is improving a little. I have a few suggestions for you like STRETCHIE BANDS, HAND WEIGHTS, LIGHT YOGA OR TAI CHI (very easy), TONING EXERCISES, and CHAIR AEROBICS ...

You can find TAI CHI on the net including pics of simple movements; they are done to very slow music, and you move very slowly too. I love the stretchie bands cuz they strengthen and tone without too much excursion; same for hand-weights that also help strengthen and build your muscles. You can find chair aerobics dvds; and some sites that share for free too.

I have shared some of my toning exercises on this or other previous threads; maybe could do a search for them. I do some on my bed upon waking as I cannot get down on the floor with my bad knees and legs (the sofa works too). I do tummy tucks & crunches; arm exercises on my chair that looks a lot like someone working at the airport (and my DH always laughs at those); plus butt and tummy squeezes also help tone as well.

I have JORGE CRUISE's book called "8 MINUTES IN THE MORNING" and I can do several of his exercises; some I have to modify for me or I do some of my own instead, but the weight ones are terrific. And just like he says, they take only about 8 minutes. I like to do some of my exercises in the early morning as I feel better then and I am less likely to put them off becuz I'm busy or tired later in the day.

I take advantage of light housechores each morning and walking around our large stores here (keeping it to 1 or 2 at a time or I end up with sore feet and legs) and that really helps a lot. I do some here in our home as it is long and narrow and I can walk back and forth several times a day at my leisure all year round. Sometimes DH and I go for walks in the evening at a local track we found; it's all flat which is good for me.

HI TIGZ ~ that one bowl of ice cream shouldn't cause too much damage; last time I had an ice cream cone, I ended up with a very bad case of LACTOSE INTOLERANCE!!! I won't be doing that again; will be sticking to my yogurt ice cream from now on. That's OK -- a Canadian company here called CHAPMANS makes really good yogurt ice cream and in many flavors.

That's a great idea teaching the kiddies to do the jewelry now when they are young; could make a great hobby for them and a way to make some money for things they might need in the future, esp when they get into their teens.

This is a long weekend for us -- May 24th holiday, which is also my DH's birthday too. So far, we are having great weather. DH got the air conditioner up in our bedroom. I spent the morning totally rearranging our spare room (really our storage room now) and it really looks a lot better in there now; and I got one load of towels washed and dried outdoors on my new nifty rack (it takes a whole load of clothes at a time).

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend too ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-22-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #60  

Well, today I had a double cheeseburger from McDonalds - and I feel no shame! LMAO

But there is a story... I almost ended up in hospital on Thursday morning with severe abdominal pain. Left side, so not appendix, turned out to be Bowel Colic. Now for those not familiar with this condition (like i was) its basically when your bowel gets tangled or blocked. Had to call the doc out to me as I was literally screaming in pain and for those that know me, that means it was helluva sore, far worse than 2 cesaereans put together. Next door's dog kept barking at me screaming! LOL Poor wee soul, he was maybe worried. Anyways, SO was working outside on the car, so I literally crawled/rolled to the front door and sent the dog out to get him. Not long after this the throwing up started, as if things weren't bad enough.

Doc gave me a magic potion to drink to ummmm help things get moving. Thats what I get for eating bananas! Combined with my meds they could plug up the Titanic. Still recovering just now, been ordered to rest, still having dizzy turns, getting badly dehydrated, gone into shock a few times... only managed to start eating at all yesterday and that was only a couple of little bits of fruit. So yes, I had a cheeseburger today and it was a struggle, but I managed to eat it all YAYYYYY! I can't wait to weight myself in a few days, see if I've lost anything. I already know my appetite has shrunk!

Disney - know what you are going through with the whole exercise and diet thing. Its not my heart with me, just my body thats fit for the bin. I have to make sure I don't overdo things constantly, its a massive balancing act for me between, painkillers, exercise, dieting and just making it through one more day without the wheelchair. You've found the right place the vent and find an understanding ear. Sounds like you've had a helluva time with things, but I have heard that walking is the best form of exercise in the world, its better than sitting on the couch!

Rosebud - been scorching here all weekend! Thanks for sending the sun! The garden is finally springing to life and of all the seeds I planted a couple of months ago - I have ONE plant! ROFL

Well, SO has brought me a lovely bowl of strawberries, so I am going to go and enjoy - and see how many I can eat!

Take care all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX