Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #46  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hello ladies

I hope your all having a lovely weekend as our Canadian friends are now hosting the winter Olympics now that is one Olympics we will never host something to do with the lack of snow Although we are hosting the summer Olympics of 2012 the first time since 1949 I really would like to go but I expect the tickets will be £££ and out of our price range. Then there is the parking to consider in London which is not the easiest of places to park at the best of times unless you know the city which we don't. We do go on deliveries but are straight in and straight out hoping to dodge the dreaded parking wardens who put parking fines tickets on your vehicle for parking in the wrong place.

DH is looking forward to Pancake day on this Tuesday to many of you this will be known as Shrove Tuesday. Must pick up a lemon or bottle of lemon juice as I like to have my pancakes with lemon juice. I will use sweetener instead of sugar to cut on the calories a wee bit. Although this will be my main meal of the day I can cut back a little bit at dinner time (on Tuesday my treatment day so my cook meal of the day will be at around 5pm rather than 12.30ish.).

I finished making the soup today the red lentil one it was a success at tea DH thought it was rather nice to say the least. For dinner I had rice, vegetables and veggie burger. The rice I put in some condensed low fat soup added onions and garlic plus veggies for a tasty dinner. I made enough for another day which I will have with chicken breast.

I have a pair of new glasses not sure if I let you know but I am gradually "breaking them in" so to speak. It is not an easy transition it has made my eyes ache and sore. This is because they are getting use to the stronger prescription and the prisms in the lens. Today has been the most successful yet I have managed all but about an hour and half with my new ones so it will not be long before I am wearing them full time. I have wore glasses all the time (not just for reading) since I was 21 years old so know fully how difficult some lens are to get use to. The worse by far was varifocals now they took 6 weeks for me to be use to them. I was all right until I went shopping and then it felt like items where coming off the shelf towards me Otherwise I was OK but eventually I mastered them I was so determined to do so I did not want two pairs of glasses now I would only lose one.

ROSEBUD
Your DH is a braver soul than me going to watch the hockey in the cold weather. Maybe the consideration of you going to turn the furnace down is a sign that Spring is around the corner for you

We already have signs of spring I have seen the crocuses and snowdrops leaves peeping through the soil. I will have to look in our garden to see if any daffodils are making an appearance. We are still prone to frost or snowfall at this time of the year so we are not out of the woods yet.

I see that you maybe considering taking omega 3. I am not very keen on fish unlike my sisters DH. I take flaxseed which is high in omega 3 the other benefits of flaxseed are

* Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.

Lignans, which have both plant oestrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75- 800 times more lignans than other plant foods

* Fibre. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.

I take my flaxseed in my cereal in the morning but other ways of using it are in soups, stews or flaxseed muffins to name a few. I have put it in porridge and fruit yoghurt as well so there are many ways to eat it. I find it very filling with having it for breakfast and sustains me till dinner very easily.

It took me months to train Rizzie to sit on his hind legs and "beg", plus give his paws, put the ball directly into my hand. My husband does not have the patience for that sort of thing. It is hard work but when you seen the end result it is so worth all the effort. For me to take the picture I had the ball in one had just out of camera shot and the camera in the other hand feeling like a juggler at the time Needless to say we had to have several photographs before I snapped the right one thank goodness for digital cameras else I would use a reel of film just for a few good shots. Now that would have been mega expensive this way is so much cheaper and easier come to that.

I knew that young dandelion leaves were good for you but not for what vitamins etc. I watched a programme on what you could eat off the land and what people ate during the war. So nettles where on the menu also. Not that I have tried either the nearest I have had is dandelion and burdock pop which has probably never seen a dandelion in its life and more likely chemically flavoured I am sure there are many things like that we just think of weed or just pass them by never giving them a second though are good for us. We get so use to getting most things from the supermarkets and other shops that we forget what our ancestors ate for years. There are many berries which much be rich in vitamin C that we could eat but don't. I do go blackberry picking but that is about it and have when I was young picked wild mushrooms. Not that I could pick out a mushroom from a toadstool. It was my father telling me that was a mushroom otherwise I would have been clueless. I have picked also chestnuts wild gosh it is all coming back as I sit here and beechnuts but that is like 30 odd years ago.

It is getting late here time to make hot chocolate I think and then think about heading towards my bed. No rocking required tonight I have been busy for the best part of the day with cooking so up and down like a yo-yo. Take care my fellow chicks till next time

purpleorc

purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #47  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI PURPLE ~ I see that you stayed home this weekend, but got lots of cooking done; yes, your beans soup does sound very good. I like to make bean soup now and then; and DH really likes it too, esp when I use navy beans and veggies, which is sometimes called a HOT POT.

We had much warmer temps today; the came out this AM and brought the temps up to about 0C, which is warm for this area in February. Now it is ***** a bit but the temps have fallen back down to about -10C tonight.

Our winter carnival is in full force today; lots of things going on esp for the kiddies and those with lots of xtra $$$ to spend. DH braved the winds today, but finally came home late afternoon as he was frozen. Tomorrow is the final day and he wants to go to the smash-up derby which is his favorite thing.

Here is just a partial list of the many activities we have in our winter carnival here ... Parades and fireworks; snow queen & princess pageants; log rolling; ice sculpting; karoke & talent contests; indoor and outdoor ice hockey; sleigh rides; helicopter rides, dog sled rides for the kiddies, polar ice water dip; tug-of-war; indoor & outdoor dances; food-eating competitions; raffles & games & many other contests; ice fishing derby, smash-up car derby, etc.

We haven't seen any of the Olympics as we don't have cable or satellite tv; but I hope to follow them on the internet like I did last time. Our Canadian friends on our Canadian Winter thread have been giving me updates about the games today; sadly, their was a tragic luge accident today. Am praying for those involved and that this won't frazzle the nerves of the other athletes too much for the rest of the games.

Tonight we are just having a quiet time at home keeping warm; and we had pizza for dinner. I had smoked chicken and lean ham with mushrooms & olives on mine. DH had pepperoni, mushrooms, and green peppers on his. I share my crust with NIKO to keep the bread calories down for me.

Monday is a civic holiday here in Ontario called FAMILY DAY; so it is a long weekend as well. Hope you all have a lovely Valentine's Day tomorrow as well. Take good care ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-13-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #48  
Rosebud

Hope you all had a lovely VALENTINE'S DAY today ...

Did you all do anything special? Some years we do, some years we don't. Last year, DH bought me a snake plant (I asked for it); but I told him not to buy me chocolate this year, and he complied as I already have some dark chocolate here from Christmas yet.

We had shepherd's pie (I didn't make it; I cheated and bought it frozen so I could just pop it in the oven). For dessert, I had some chocolate yogurt ice cream with pieces of the dark chocolate in it; that is my Valentine's treat for today ... yummy!

We have been having ***** here for most of the day, but the temps were warmer too. DH says that the winds were pretty cold though. He did get to go see the smash-up derby on snow today; and he said it just keeps getting bigger and more popular each year.

We could hear the heli's overhead for the afternoon -- taking folks out for a ride over the town. The fishing derby was on today too; as were some more activities on the lake. This is the last day of our winter carnival; and DH said that more people came out for it than the summerfest, but I think it is a fun way to break up the monotony of the long, cold winters here.

Take good care -- and hope you all have a Marvellous Monday ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-14-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #49  

OMG - where to start? I feel like I have been gone for a week!

I've lost a whole day somewhere. All the blinding headaches came to a head this weekend and I slept for more than a day (soooo not like me). About every 18 months I seem to have this sort of crash and its like my brain just shuts me down for 24 hours and I sleep like a corpse. Weird. Or does anyone else have anything like this? Anyway, no headache at all today YAYYYY! Thank God, thought I might need to switch to decaf! ARGGGGGGH! It just baffles me how I can get headaches at all when I take enough medication to knock out a small elephant!

So I think I missed Valentines day, so hope everyone else had a good one. We don't really bother with it. Significant other thinks its all some elaborate conspiracy from the Hallmark Corporation anyway!

Rizzie is sooo cute! We need more puppy pics on here! Our Megan eats grass a lot too, but she also eats just about anything you put in front of her. Favourite 2 foods are raw carrots and clementines! Maybe that's why shes 12 but acts like 3, just like Rizzie.

Jewellery - well it has ground to a halt, I've ran out of stuff. Will order what I need hopefully tomorrow. Will take some pics when I have some more to show, thats if my mum doesn't run off with it all! She likey very much!

Mmmmmmmm Lentil Soup! Purple you have inspired me! I will be hitting the kitchen this week make a great big steaming pot of lentil soup! Yummmmmm.
Hehehehehehehe!

Got loads to do this week, not sure how we can fit it all in. Need to go to the supermarket tomorrow and stock up. Get something nice and healthy in for dinner.

Lots of appointments ie doctors, educational psychologist for my son, headteacher at school, benefits advisor, local MSP. I'm so glad the headaches have gone and I am firing on all cylinders again!

My tip of the week: FREE YOUR INNER NINJA!

Take care all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #50  
Rosebud

HI TIGZ ~ sorry to hear that you have been having bad headaches; but glad that they are all gone now, and you had a good day/nights rest. We had a quiet Valentine's Day at home (well, I did) and I just had an EZ frozen oven dinner (Beef Shepherd's Pie). The only thing was that -- this was a new one we hadn't tried before, and you could have gone blind looking for the boeuf.

I kept laughing my guts out becuz I kept thinking that this was really a beef-flavored Vegetarian Shepherd's pie with no Shep in it ... there were lots of veggies in it (big peas & carrots) with lots of beef gravy, and lovely rosebud mashed potatoes on top though. I was laughing becuz I thought someone had just asked me recently if you could make vegetarian Shepherd's pie and I said that I suppose you could. Well, now I know that you can ...

Anyways, no harm done but I sure was hungry for some protein today. DH had a piece of bread with his so he felt OK. Tonight we had meat pie; one with lots of meat in it, plus veggies (green beans) and a romaine salad. I was actually so full that I saved half my salad for a snack later. I also gave some of my crust (the bottom) to our dear NIKO; he loves that and I can shave off some cals that way too ...

We have been having a big ***** storm here today; it started last night and continued all day long, but it looks really pretty out there. Poor DH is now exhausted from pushin' around the snow from the end of the laneway and doorways. I keep telling him to take it easy; now he is falling asleep while trying to watch a movie (I'm not surprised). He wonders why he keeps getting up so early -- but he poops himself out and then falls asleep right after dinner. It gives him something to do though and some exercise too.

Hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day; and I just did relaxing things around home today. I still do my toning exercises each AM upon waking -- that takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes; I vary them each day though. Then, I did some walking around here and some other chair aerobics as well. Any days I don't get xtra walking in, I do more stuff at home.

Take good care and have a great week, ladies ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-15-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #51  

*Drags sorry a$$ into forum and collapses in corner*

It has been a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng day. Stick a fork in me!

Got my jewellery bits all ordered and on their way YAYYY! That'll keep me busy. Can't wait for it to arrive. Will take plenty of pics. Will need to ban my mum from seeing it! She'll be after the 5 fingered discount.

Saw my son's Education Psychologist today, went fairly well. Other than talking about psychology for a brain busting hour and a half. Add in shopping, paying the bills, organising my Avon orders and the jewellery and my brain is a little stewed tonight.

Talking of stew... LMAO @ Rosebud & vegetarian shepherd's pies! We must get the same ones here! I've had beef stew with one piece of beef before. Shocking! Although, in my younger and maybe not so wiser years, I almost got chucked off a plane from Turkey for asking after the in-flight meal - and I quote, "Can you please tell me what the mystery meat was?" Stewardess replied with face on fire and foaming at the mouth "CHICKEN!" Then it became a scene from a movie when all you could hear was each row whispering further and further towards the back of the plane "Ah, it was chicken right enough!". God I was happy when we landed at Glasgow! I'm telling you there will be a day we will turn to eating dog food as it has more nutrition in it! The stuff my puppies eat from Aldi is actually quite appetising to look at with veggies in it as well. Shame it smells like sh1t! Not much difference in smell once it has been erm, "processed" and deposited on the grass!

I feel a change of subject coming on... or a sick bag, not sure LOL

Fed up with Winter now. Fed up feeling cold, getting wet everytime I step outside for a nano-second, fed up hibernating. I want spring to well, spring! I want to feel the heat of the sun on my back and my skin, to go out and breathe fresh air, to be able to throw the kids out on their bikes, to get my garden sorted and be able to sit outside and watch the world go by. Godammit, now I am pee'd off!

Have had to put the soup on hold until next week. Just don't have the time this week. Maybe at the weekend. Kids are away visiting their bio-daddy (scumbag) as of yet he hasn't had a more interesting offer. So might have a little spare time then. Then me and my SO will spend another week getting their heads back to normal. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Scumbag. Sometimes feel like all the work and effort we make to raise them as good kids gets completely undone in 2 days at his house. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Well, they love my homemade lentil soup and I suppose its a good home comfort to get into them as soon as they come home. Did stock up on some vitamins today, so will try the omega 3 thing before meals. Will let you all know how it goes.

My tip of today is for a song. If you are needing a little pick up or get up and go song, download this: On A Mission by Gabriella Cilmi.

"I am a woman on a mission, whoa oh" hehehehehehehehe

I should maybe listen to it now....or "Goodnight Sweetheart, well its time to go!"
Take care all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #52  
Rosebud

HEY TIGZ ~ it's now official ... YOU ARE A BONAFIDE HOOT OWL ... You had me all over again with your "mystery" meat on that flight thingy ... The only reason I knew that pie was supposed to be beef is that the box said so ... but I kept saying, "this is really a vegetarian Shepherd's pie" and I'm sure that must be an oxy-moron or something like that ...

You think that's funny ... you won't believe it but some dummy went and bought 8 of those suckers -- ya, I'm that sucker! Well, you know they were on sale and I'm a gonner for a sale, so now I'm stuck with 7 more vegetarian beef-flavored deceitfully called Shepherd's pies, becuz anyone knows that Shepherd's pies are supposed to have LAMB in them, not beef anyways!!!

So much for truth in advertising, right? Right! There's no dang boeuf in it either ... drats and we gotta eat all 7 of them things. So I have been conjuring up a plan -- think I will cook up some boeuf and put it on our plates then top that with the fake Shepherd's pie and DH will be totally fooled I'm sure! Voila, we have real "Fireside or Cottage Pie" once again.

Oh dear, what can you do? Live and learn, they say! You know, I actually know a guy here in town that used to eat kitty chow (ya, Purinas); I'm not kidding. He works in hospital lab (or used to) and says that it is a nutritiously sound food ... really. Now we know why we see so many little old ladies buying those littel tins of cat food; I'm sure they are just a little confused as they do look a lot like those little tins of minced gizzards & liver pate gourmet sandwich spreads ...

Ok now, don't get me started ... anyhow, we had a good day shopping and I didn't fall prey to anymore silly sales; phew! Picked up lots of salad and veggies though for the week. Got lots of walking in but now I feel like the tin man, so I am gonna have to go and put my legs up for a while. DH did way too much snow pushing and is already fast asleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow, and watch those sales, it could be a trap ... Rosebuds
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #53  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

You all are just cracking me up! Sounds like there are similar issues everywhere with the false advertising on food packages-here we get pot pies, which are just a pie crust with either turkey, beef, or chicken, gravy, and veggies, but they're mostly just the gravy with a few little veggies and maybe a small chunk of the meat. Fortunately, they're really cheap and quick to fix in the microwave for when we need to eat and run, so we still keep them on hand for the DH and kids. I used to work in a plant that made those little airline meals and they were totally disgusting (at that time)-vowed to never eat on an airplane again, that is, if I ever got on an airplane again, which I have not (for about 22 years!). My mom used to work for a major airplane engine manufacturer and she would tell us stories about the sabotage and inadequate inspections going on at the plant, so I just choose to drive everywhere--guess my dream of going to Hawaii will never come true!

Tigz-you asked about the nuts. I looked in the book again and all he suggests is nuts to get the healthy fats, but it does sound like the real key is to get some kind of fat (about 70 calories) into your stomach about 20 minutes before your meal, so I'm thinking that about a half ounce of a full-fat cheese might do the same thing and dairy is supposed to help lose belly fat, as well. I sometimes do extra cheese at meals, as cheese and yogurt are the only diary I can eat without severe lactose issues. I was also wondering (maybe I asked you this before) if you eat a lot of garlic? I found out that many of my migraines are triggered by garlic. Just a thought.

Purple-I'm wondering if you've gotten used to your new glasses yet? I'm a little concerned as it usually only takes me about 2 hours to get used to a new pair. When I've been unable to get used to them or got headaches, it was because they had the prescription wrong or there was a defect in the lenses (which is very common in these polycarbonate lens materials). It did take me a couple days to get used to the bifocal when I had to get them 3 years ago, but I can't get the 'no-line' bifocals (and, my DH couldn't get used to them either, so he went back to the lined ones also). Hope yours are doing better, but I'd sure check with the optometrist if they're still giving you problems.

Rosebud-Are you and your DH as tired of the snow this year as we are? We have piles next to our driveways that are taller than me (and, no short jokes!)! There's absolutely no safe way to pull out from a corner when driving and the last few days, all the roads have been coated with solid ice from the snow blowing across them. The only exercise I'm getting is shoveling! And, that's getting really old......

Lucy-hoping that you're feeling somewhat better. Working out in a pool sounds really wonderful. We don't have anything like that close enough to us for me to be able to go. Be sure to let us know if it seems to help with some of your joint pain.

My DS2 had a fun day yesterday. The police department that he rides with had a terrorist training activity, so DS2 got to go help by acting as a terrorist and hostage during the many drills they were running. They all use those air-soft guns to shoot at each other, but it's a very serious training, so the Explorers really feel privileged that they are asked to help out. He really enjoyed being able to "shoot" the cops he works with-lol!

Well, looks like I need to go get DS3 up and at 'em today. He's been incredibly tired since his weekend youth retreat-I'm thinking they did not do much sleeping at all! And, as with many 13yo's, he needs a lot of sleep! So, off to rattle his cage.....Talk to you all later! Have a great day!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #54  
Rosebud

HI RONNI ~ Yes, we have been having ***** for the last 2 days and they are predicting more for the rest of the week. I took some pics of it yesterday; as it was piling up on the deck out front. It's -6C near the house but I can hear those winds howling out there, so it is probably a lot colder out in the open ...

Thanks for the tip about the meat pies; I have bought some little pastie things for DH that were the same. We had some of those meat pies on sale last week, but I didn't buy any; but DH would have probably ate them anyways too.

You mentioned that cheese is supposed to help us lose belly fat; was that in your new book? How does it help that; I'm really curious about that too! I read on the net recently that some early research says that blueberries may help too; and I have lots in my freezer that we picked this summer, so guess what I am eating almost daily now! We will definitely be picking more this year too ...

My DH suggested that if you are afraid of flying to Hawaii to go by boat; that made me think of a cruise -- how about a Hawaiian cruise? Is there such a thing? Might be worth investigating, but you would have to get to the starting point, but you may be able to drive or take a train, I guess.

Just stayed home today and rested; as I seemed to need that. Guess I did a bit too many exercises yesterday, and with the walking while shopping added on ... it was just too much. Gotta watch that: less is more, they say. Hope you all have a great week ... Rosebud
Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #55  

"Stress, stress, wonderful stress. Nothing quite like your head in a mess"

One helluva day. Just getting a break now after spending half the day on the phone and the other half doing chores grrrrrrrr. Just done a pile of ironing that would sink the Titanic. Thank God I can do it sitting down!

Anyway, just had some grapes and starting to chill and going to think "nice thoughts" hehehe. Got a mini greenhouse today, nice and cheaply priced. Going to grow some seeds and I have some shrubs that I got for a pound that I need to bring on. I've got bulbs that need planting too, but I am going to get the kids to help me with it all. Think it will be a good little project for us. DD is 7 and DS is 5 BTW. Got a great little seat on wheels yesterday from local charity shop, superb for lots of things, ie sitting at pc, cutting kids hair, washing dog, gardening...list goes on. Will make it possible for me to do more and although I will be sitting down it will in a strange way get me off my butt!

Hoping most of my jewellery supplies arrive tomorrow, give me something to do this weekend as the kids are away visiting their bio-daddy. Need something to keep me sane, the quiet is just too spooky! Will just need to pamper the puppies! GSD is showing all her behavioural signs of coming into season ie she's depressed! Awwwwwwww, poor thing. I just want to cuddle her and feed her ice-cream LOL She always "acts up" in the weeks before, sticks to us like glue, goes off her food, stands at the door nose in the air, sniffing for ages... She's following us around with her head hanging looking like someone stole her wowwy-pop! Well, we'll know for sure when next door's dog rings our doorbell!

Well, time for my supper ie nighttime selection of meds, so I'll be offskies!

Take care all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #56  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, it's another frosty one out there today/night; the temps hovered around -7C mostly becuz of the steady northernly winds coming our way all day. Tonight, it is ***** again; more work for the snow fairies tomorrow. Now they are predicting for Saturday; hope they are right becuz that would be nice.

HEY TIGZ ~ that sounds like a great idea (the mini-greenhouse thing). We used to have a big one, then we downsized to a smaller one; and we found that plastic works much better than glass, as glass burns the veggies. DH found some dryer drums so I can plant some bulbs and veggies in them.

I am going to order some regular and garlic chives which are full of vitamins (esp Vit A) and plant some here and out at our lot; they are perennials and will come up for years. We had some for a long time at our last place; they are really nice for soups and sauces.

I really want to plant lots of green beans as they are my favorite green veggie (and broccoli follows after that) as they are easy to grow in a drum or anywhere really; just have to watch for frost. They are also full of vitamins, esp vit A too. I will also see if I can get some parsley (also mega high in Vit A) to winter over in the bed next to the house; maybe on the south side, we'll see.

I just grow the easy stuff and buy the more difficult ones; I buy broccoli and cauliflower becuz the bugs get them before they can grow here. Have to stick to the hardier short-season stuff up here too; but that still gives us lots of options: carrots, salad & table onions, summer turnip, radishes, lettuces, green & yellow beans, etc. We can also grow peas, potatoes, and corn, but we don't have the space here; so we buy them. I've grown other things here like tomatoes and cukes, but they do best in a greenhouse.

Anyways, I stayed home and did stuff around home; resting a bit in between. We had fish for dinner: fillets that I dredged in seasoned flour to keep them light with veggies & salad. Our DLL gave DH a pretty rainbow trout which I tried to rescue from mutilation as DH's filet knife has had the biscuit (it's too dull). Anyways, I managed to save about 11 oz -- certainly enuff for at least one dinner (it always shrinks down a lot when it's cooked though).

Hope everyone out there is feeling well and has a Fabulous Friday tomorrow; and do take good care .... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #57  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ I hope you all are feeling well and having a fabulous Friday night! We are just taking it easy at home and keepin' warm, cuz it's frosty out there. We had lots of big fluffy ***** all week. I just saw we have a bright sliver of a moon out there tonight: it's still pretty! I am listening to golden oldies on the radio while reading and posting on here -- very nice.

Take good care and have a wonderful weekend too ... Rosebud
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #58  
MSer living healthy

Hello Ladies

Feels like a life time away and lots of great posts to read. I have been having a hectic life at the minute. I really wish I knew where the time was going, I think someone is hiding it from me Who's is going to own up to to taking the hours of the day from me

It has been starting to catch up with me this racing around like a blue you know what fly. I know this as at night I am falling asleep in my chair and sleeping 8 hours solid and still wanting more. I pray my health is still granted to me and that I do not suffer a relapse.

I went to see my sister in Grantham yesterday and she is looking well considering she has been through the mill. She is at home now which I am sure that now that she is there she will continue with her slow recovery. Her wound on her back looks wonderful considering that it is that long since surgery. It is nice and clean and not to mention going to be hardly noticeable once the swelling etc goes down. The surgeon has made a grand job of this. Now she is mobilising with a walking stick so we look at bright pair together hobbling along She is on a lot of pain killing medication and I know from my professional background in medicine they are strong. She is on two sorts of what are refused to "controlled drugs" this is MST and oramorph (syrup form of morphine). Not to mention then drugs to combat the side effects.

We have had a sprinkling of snow in the past few days but it swiftly goes as the sun gets up in the sky during the day and is gone by night. It was a cold night last night it was suppose to be down to -4c in our area. Yeah our daffodils are coming up in earnest and they are nearly 2 inches in some areas of the garden which are more protected.

TIGZ loved reading your lively post and had to laugh at the witch with her cauldron good job DH does not see that as he would agree that was me especially as he is frequently a guinea pig to my latest creation to come out of the kitchen.

Today we are having sweet and sour chicken for tea (having cooked me later today rather than dinner time as I have been busy catching up on chores in the house) may add some beans of some sort to bulk out the dish just not sure which one to use at present. I did some bulk buying a few days ago and bought about 30 chicken breasts (with the fillets) plus a large container of lean mince beef. So been busy separating it and putting into usable size portions that I can pop into the freezer and use at a later date. We buy these at the cash and carry so it turns out so much cheaper. Only thing is you have it in catering size portions so you have to spend time dividing it down into more realistic portions for the two of us.

If I have time to breathe again i hope to be making a soup maybe tomorrow if I am feeling up to it. Not sure what I will create this time just depends what I have in the vegetable line in the fridge. Leek and potato can be surprisingly tasty considering it only has so few ingredients with walking the path of healthy eating I omit the cream that people use you could use natural yoghurt or fat free Greek yoghurt as healthy alternatives. Even framage frais (? spelling is doubtful on this one ) can be used but I have not used it I must admit.

Glad the appointments when well at the psychologist for you son (? I think it was this gender only firing on one brain cell today ). It seem you life is busy at the minute like mine.

I get humdinger of headaches once in a blue moon now (more frequently when I was nursing) so possibly triggered by stress or lack of sleep I like you are on a shed load of medication enough to knock an elephant out like yourself. So one of those mysteries in life why we get this pain when we are on so much pain killing medication. Baffles DH and me why this is the case. The only remedy is going to bed and just sleep it off. Normally I sleep for hours after one of these blazing headaches. and that seems to cure it.

The trouble is when you have not cooked a meal yourself you could be eating anything rather dubious calling itself one thing but certainly baring no resemblance to what it actually suppose to be. I went to France and I asked for a steak (beef) and they must have though I was gullible I have that sort of face I was fortunate at that time to speak fluent French (I could barely string two words together now as I am out of practice). I knew it was not beef I was eating and suspected that it was horse. I asked to speak to the manager and I finally got the truth yes I had been eating horse. I would not have minded if it was clearly not deceived but it had been put on the menu as that. Then I can make an informed decision as to what I am eating. Not that I am fussy I am willing to try anything just so long as I know what it is.

Dog food now don't get me started on that I hate the smell of that especially the tinned variety so our Rizzie has no choice it is dried food not that it smells much better. Mind you our Rizzie can be gross at the best of times once rolling in other dogs you know what or foxes come to that. Gee whizz trying to get the foxes mess off of him was a nightmare. He has rolled in rotten food and the best thing was we were out and about when he did that. So we had to sit with him in the car stinking the place to high heavens. We did could not stand the smell so no matter how cold it was we kept the windows wide open to get some fresh air. You may have these joys to come with your puppies

RONNI Yeah I can finally see properly with my new glasses. I must have knocked out the fitting of them so when I went back to the opticians to have a word they found they were 1.5 mil out. So I was looking through the wrong part of my lens completely not to mention the prism was drawing my eye to the right spot. It feels like heaven after struggling for nigh on a week. Will pick up my second pair next week as they are ready for collection and fitting. I have had varifocals since just before my 40th birthday which is quite young to require them apparently. They do take some mastering I must admit but I am glad I persevered and mastered them. Not that I thought that I every would do at one point just that I was determined I was not going to have two pairs of glasses or bifocals. My attitude has changed since but I thought they would make me look old bifocals. I think cos I associated bifocals with my grandparent hence the age think. Though I have since seen this is not the case.

Sounds like your son had a blast (excuse the pun) with the police. It is good that they get the chance to interact with the police and have an educational element. I had a lecture from the police during my nurse training when I was upgrading my qualification to a higher one. It was a great lecture all about drugs what they look like so we had the chance to actually see they so those of us who had more of a sheltered life knew what we were looking for. I enjoyed my session with the coroner the best he talked about interesting past cases and then the afternoon we acted in a proper court session with actors. So if in a professional capacity you get called to go to a coroners court you knew what to expect. You may if you are unlucky have to go if a patient commits suicide on your shift. I was very lucky that this did not happen to me but it so easily could have. I called in sick to work that day (starts of my MS progressing but undiagnosed at this point) and a gentleman was doing something sexual and it went wrong. Why this conclusion was put into the equation was they he was naked at the time and showing no signs of depression or suicidal thoughts prior to his death. What they do is deprive them selves of oxygen with something like a carrier bag over head or our case he had used clothing to put round his neck. He ended up hanging himself by accident so it was left as an open verdict as I recall. I thanked god that I was not on duty and did not have to deal with the aftermath of this horrific incident but I did feel guilty that someone had filled in for my sickness and had it by default. Although I did become a counsellor to one of the members of staff whom it happened to. If ever an incident happened that was distressing not necessarily this awful outcome we counselled each other for as long as was needed. I was counselled once when I found a gentleman hanging from a disabled frame around a toilet. Although I managed to save his life by taking his body weight and thus gaining vital oxygen to the brain. We carried alarms with us which if we activated it pin pointed where you were and what ward. Then staff from your ward and others would decent to help out with the incident. 9 times out of 10 it was because someone was being aggressive no longer listening to verbal commands due to their mental states and restraint is needed by staff.

ROSEBUD I see that your country is hosting the winter Olympics this year but there was tragic accident to a young man. I have not watched much of the winter Olympics as I am more into the sports that are shown at the summer Olympics. I do like the ice dancing though and have for years.

I thought today our Rizzie would be worn out after spending the afternoon with my nieces as they run him ragged. I think they secretly put a battery in him yesterday as he is full of life wanting to play ball and has got that glint in his eye looking for mischief. Normally after he has played with my nieces he spends the next day asleep as he forgets he is an old man getting and is not 2 years old any longer.

Rainbow trout is not something I have cooked. I have seen my sister cook it as they are big fish eater the whole family. I on the other hand am not a fish eater I hate bones in fish so easily put off by those. I do like the taste of trout when I did have a bite to eat of it.

Greenhouses can be a useful thing to a gardener I know when Dad was gardening he use to have two of them. One mainly for cucumbers and the other for tomatoes. Then he used to do his own bedding plants so there was rows of trays with all the different sorts he used to grow. Not that I was allowed too near them as I am certainly am not green fingered in any way shape or form. No matter how hard I try I just have not got the knack I will stick to the kitchen which I am much better rate of success.

I see you are still getting quite a bit of snow falling and will do no doubt for a few months yet before you are snowless again. I bet you are longing for spring to kick it. Did you enjoy the carnival that is hosted this time of year? Maybe that is one positive of a long winter and of course you have the celebration of Christmas as we do. Where you decorate you home and porch.

I have just finished my dreaded ironing just before I came on here and soon I will have to go and start tea as I am getting hungry now. Was up fairly early today so meal times have been a little earlier than normal. I am sure if I do not start soon i will get a gentle hint from DH about being starving.

Time to run now till next time take care fellow chicks

purpleorc

Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #59  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well the temps here got all the way up to +1C today; we had a few light flurries but not much. The weather people said it was supposed to be sunny, but the sun only came out for less than .5 hour and disappeared again. Mr. Sun is supposed to be out full force over the next few days; hope they are right becuz we haven't seen him for while.

I just stayed home and did stuff around here today; taking it easy. I had a night off from cooking: I had a 6" submarine for dinner and DH had real fries & gravy from his favorite place near our home. It was nice not to have to make dinner and it cost us less than $10.00 which is good for here.

Hope the rest of your weekend is a pleasant one. Ttyl, it's time for my tea ... Rosebud
Old 02-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #60  
MSer living healthy

Good Morning fellow healthy eaters

woke up this morning to a good covering of snow everything looked so beautiful with this untouched virgin white snow. No further snow since I have been up but more is forecast for the day. Here's me hoping we had seen the last of the heavy snowfall for us but someone had other ideas

I have my witches cauldron out making a brew all right I own up I have the pressure cooker on the stove making a vegetable and lentil soup. I have started with ham stock cubes and just threw the vegetables I had in the house in to it. I put loads of vegetables in as when they cook they shrink a little and I want a thick warming soup especially for the horrid day outside.

The sweet and sour was a success last night and in the end I decided to pop some mung beans in with the chicken breast and it was rather nice. I was lucky to be able to pick up some sweet and sour in light variety. Plus the mung beans where on offer in the supermarket and the chicken was part of the bulk buy so rather cheap. So over all a good meal on the pocket not costing £££ which in this day and age is a good thing .

Well I think the battery fell out of our Rizzie in the night as now he is sleeping like a baby. Yesterday he was none stop wanting to play and wanting more and more. I bet any minute now he will start snoring and oh boy can he snore for England when he gets started. It makes you wonder how such a loud noise can come out of a small dog like him one of lives mysteries I suppose

We were planning to go out for Sunday dinner but with the weather being as it is we have postponed it until weather is better. It was only DH and I going to the local cafe so nothing that has upset other people. Our friends returned from Sri Lanka yesterday at sometime I bet they feel cold after the warmer climate they have been in to be faced with snow

Yesterday I think I had a bottomless pit and nothing seemed to fill me seemed be grazing like a I suspect my TOM is looming and then I will have a day after I start where my appetite is poor so it usually balances itself out. It is just a matter of choosing items that are not too calorie laden so the damage is not so bad. I dread to think how many calories I must have ate before the healthy eating probably a weeks worth for lady in a day it is a frightening thought sometimes how much I used to abuse my body and expect it to work just fine. To think I use to smoke like a trooper and eat virtually none stop The only think I have never abused is alcohol as I had an hangover once that made me feel so rough plus then went to work even the smell of food So that was the greatest tool for off putting me for life I think. I do have the odd glass of wine but it is really once in a blue moon I tend to prefer something none alcoholic.

Right time to go and check on the soup before I burn it. Have a lovely Sunday and take care ladies

purpleorc