Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

Good Morning Everyone!

It has been an interesting few days here...I started a new med this week that is really messing with my tummy I had a site bookmarked and that told me that I was eating about 3,200 calories a day to maintain my weight I think that it must have been more because I was gaining but when I asked the doctor about it he told me that it could have been the predisone so who knows at this point? The doctor told me to try to stay between 2,200-2,100 calories per day but with the medication messing with my tummy until the afternoon the most I have been getting is about 1,800 I have been able to eat some kind of breakfast but lunch and snacks are very very hard because my poor stomach is in an uproar. The new med is Savela just started to take it this week. I had a talk with my Rheumatoid doctor about the weight loss that lead him to change my medications, he is the one That I am working on this with he told me that yoga would be very good for me as well as using the pool and some kind of water aerobics with others that have RA & Fibromyalga. I am looking in to everything but it has been hard to find a place not to far from me that has a pool/classes. I can go to the YMCA but they only have only one pool that is farther away and don't have any RA water classes so I am going to call the arthritis foundation and maybe they know of a place that I can go to there is a list on their website but the only one that would have been good closed down it's program but the list doesn't look like it was updated in years....ugh According to the doctor water and yoga seem to be the only things that I can do at the moment he did say that as I loss weight the swelling in my knees will go down and then I maybe able to use other equipment. I have a wii so I may see if there is a program it that does yoga I hadn't thought about it before, I will have to look on amazon.

OK well I think that I should tell you all a little about me. I am a 40y/o single Mother to 2 boys ages 18 & 12 I work a full time job as getting on disability is hard and I really wouldn't make enough to survive. I am an office manager for a roofing company and have been there for about 5 years now I love my job the guys are all great and are like family to me. I have been seeing someone to talk to about my issues with being alone/RA/not being able to do what I used to, etc I also have many many other doctors and seem to live taking someone to some doctor as my youngest is ADHD, LD & Speech issues....so we are a very busy family. I thank you both for the welcome and hope to get to know you both better in time
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #17  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Lucy- Glad to meet you and I know you'll find a lot of support here! I was wondering about some gentle strength training? Small weights are inexpensive (Walmart) and you can work your arms and upper body areas-building muscle up helps burn calories all day. I also use a stability ball for crunches and other exercises, as I have back and knee issues, along with MS.

Rosebud-Hope you and your DH are starting to get over those colds. It's that time of year. Our DS3 has one now too. I'm just hoping for an early spring, no matter what that stupid little rodent said a couple days ago Your stir-fried veggie combo sure sounded good. I'm gonna try it for lunch some day, then experiment on the family later! Good advice to our new Lucy-you have so much wisdom and I love reading your posts.

Purple-Glad there's been improvement for your sister and still no bad news for your dad! Still keeping them in my prayers. Will put you and your DH in them too, so you don't get more run down and ill. We've been running and running too, but seems like we're not accomplishing anything Your butternut squash soup sounds good too, so I'll have to pick up one of those soon. I've just learned about spaghetti squash and have been eating it with my spaghetti sauce (which is mostly from a jar-lol!) and also with our chicken noodle soup. The family used regular noodles and I used the squash and it was wonderful. Only 8 calories per ounce for the squash!

I've been trying an experiment the last week or so. By chance (or really, Divine guidance) I read in a couple sources about gluten intolerance and discovered that so many of my recent symptoms matched those listed. I have been having such terrible abdominal pain, bloating, and other symptoms, along with gaining weight, instead of losing, and just feeling miserable, so I decided to cut out gluten/wheat products for a couple weeks to see what happened. Lo and behold, I've lost over 4 pounds in 4 days, as well as 4 inches off my stomach and hips. And, more importantly, the bloat, pain, and other belly issues have gone away completely! I even have much more energy all day long. Now, I know I can't just use that as a complete diagnosis and need to add back something with gluten in it to see what happens, but I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks before I do that and see if I keep feeling better. My sister said that she had read that some experts (whoever they are) actually recommend gluten-free diets for people with MS.

I'm just glad I'm getting some more energy, as there's so much stress right now. We have to go to mediation tomorrow hoping to settle our lawsuit against the driver who crashed us 4 years ago. DH's mom has her breast cancer surgery on the 15th (any and all prayers welcomed as they are not sure until they get in there whether it'll be a lumpectomy or mastectomy). Lots to do regarding taxes and fafsa. And, yesterday, I found out that my dad is still losing weight-he's down to 175 (I've never seen him under 200 in my entire life) and has been having problems falling down, since he has so much swelling in his feet that he can't move them properly to walk. Yesterday, he fell outside his vehicle at his work and couldn't get up until someone saw him from the street and went for help. He lives 600 miles from us, so we're trying to figure out how we can buy a new house that's only one story, so he can move up here with us. Much of that depends on the outcome tomorrow. The stresses just never end here

Well, hope you all have a really nice day! for everyone!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #18  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

DEAR RONNIE ~ We are definitely sending up lots of prayers for you and your family right now, and for your DAD, and your MIL and her doctors for wisdom during her surgery on the 15th: got that marked on my calendar right pronto!

Yes, that sounds like a good idea to get your DAD to come and live with you so you can keep an eye on him and help each other. As you know, my sister NUMPSTER, bought a bigger place and my Dad & SM will be staying with them for the winters and helping each other. They both have had their health issues lately too, as you all know; and she & her DH will be able to keep an eye on them too.

Am also sending up some prayers about your legal issue tomorrow; that all will turn out for good for you and your family -- and that you will have peace about it. It would be so nice to get it all resolved amiably and quickly.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #19  
Rosebud

HI LUCY ~ sounds like you had a great meeting of minds with your doctor recently; and your plans sound good. I hope that you can find a pool and aquatic program that will help you; that is close by. Yes, you could do some light yoga breathing and gentle movements; speaking of that ...

Have you ever heard of TAI CHI? I think that you might like that; I have a tape of one that is a "Gentle Tai Chi" for those with health issues and seniors, etc. It uses slow moments of the arms (esp) and legs to a soft music. It is so popular in China that they even do it during their work breaks out in the public and in the parks; people of all ages do it. It is kinda like yoga too, just delicate movements that stretch the limbs and body, but without overdoing it ... I'm sure that you might be able to find a dvd of this at Amazon.com as well.

You may be able to find a WII yoga program too. It sounds like you have a busy life also, just like Ronni & Purple do presently. Life with kids always keeps you busy, from what I have seen and heard. PLus you have a full-time job as well, so that keeps you active too. You probably already get more exercise in than you realize ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-04-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #20  
Rosebud

HEY PURPLE ~ glad to see that you are feeling better and came by for a visit in spite of all that your family is going thru right now. I am glad to hear that your sister is doing so much better; and that she has her feeling back in her leg and is starting therapy & walking already -- will keep prayers going up for her and for your Dad too ...

You have a busy day ahead of you tomorrow as well; hope you have a good day though, and do take good care of yourself too. Don't over-tax yourself too much now. DH and I picked up a wee cold this week, but I am starting to feel much better; just a few sniffles left for me too.

We went up town and picked up a few things we couldn't get earlier this week; we went hunting for some bird seed and dog food and found some good deals today. I also picked up another plush blanket; so now we have enuff to keep us warm and cozy ...

So I got in lots of walking today; am pleased that I got extra walking in three times over this past week. We had lovely today, so it was perfect day to go out. We had fish for dinner tonight becuz it was easy after a busy and tiring day.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-04-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #21  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hello fellow chicks

It is a grey day here but no rain the temperature is around 8c so not too bad overall. We have been warned that there is a cold spell on the way and not to expect temperatures above freezing. Although hearing about the weather on the East coast of the USA it sounds simply nothing. I do hope that any of our users on 3fc whom are in that area are OK and I will be thinking of you.

A good piece of news my sister has come home but still remains on much medication which includes opiates. She is now walking with a cane but can only manage short distances which is to be expected in the circumstances. Thanks for the continuing prayers which have helped her through this difficult operation. Unfortunately she has lost weight which seems funny to be saying this on a weight loss site. My sister has the opposite problem to us and has difficulty keeping the weight on and she does not have the weight to lose either. She is very slender and has a small build she is around 5ft 7in but pans in when well around 140 (heaviest she has ever been I have seen her as low as 105 and she looked awful. Not that she has an eating disorder but is one of the lucky soles who lose weight at the drop of a hat and struggle to stay at a good weight)

LUCY Sorry to hear that your medication is playing havoc with your tummy side effects can be horrid. I have been fortunate so far that I do not suffer to greatly with side effects. Steroids (predisole) can have the side effect of weight gain so all you can do is eat sensibly and stay in the range of calories suggested by doctor. I know that is seeming mission impossible with the tummy being as upset as it is. All I can suggest is try and make sure that the calories you do consume are nutritious so that way you get all the essential vitamins and minerals. I am sure that for a short period of time 1800 calories is very adequate but I am sure that you doctor will be monitoring the medication and charting the side effects. If this drug regime really does not suit I am sure there are others for you to try that will suit your body.

I hope that you have some luck with RA classes in your area for swimming and yoga. Please keep us informed how things go. Like Rosebud says tai chi is low impact on joints and you may find that it is something that you could have ago at. I am sure that you will find something it is often the case that trying to find out what is out their in your area which is easier said than done. I did not find the MS therapy centre until over a year ago and I had been diagnosed for over 9 years! Here there not much help if you are diagnosed with a chronic condition such are as we have. It would be so nice if there was a "pack" with all sorts of information in that would provide useful after you have got over the initial shock of the diagnosis and are at the stage "now what do I do from here".

You are a very busy lady and do much to be proud of it is not easy being a single mum at the best of time not to mention having physical challenges yourself to content with. I take my hat off to you and I admire you greatly I am not sure that I would be able to deal with what you day in and day out. I know how hard it is looking after a child with challenges of their own as my sister has a child with Perthes disease. In English this is a condition of a hip that presents itself from the age of 4 to 10 and it is due to insufficient blood supply to that area and the bone dies. If the child is luck (most are) new blood supplies will be created by the body and the new bone will gradually appear over 1 to 3 years. Still the bone in my niece has not fully grown and she is now 12 years old and had the condition I think for 4 years.

She was coping well but need lots of pain killers to hold the pain at bay at times. Unfortunately as she has got older she moved schools in the September to go to secondary school but she now has been confronted with more walking in school and lots of stairs. She is in so much pain that she is now having a stronger cocktail of drugs and can only attend school part time. Now physiotherapist is trying to build up muscles in her back and leg which have become weak due to the gait she has taken to protect her hip. She is so brave she does not complain even though she is in lots of pain and does not look well

RONNI Thanks for the prayers for my family sure do appreciate them. Yes I am hoping that I do not become ill in this roller coaster that I am on. I know that I did once before when it lead to a relapse which I am trying to avoid. I know stress can be a trigger for a relapse so trying to use my techniques from my nursing days into practice easier said than done It is so much easier telling someone how to do it and be the facilitator of a relaxation session than practice it yourself. Hey they do say nurses make the worse patients

Yes I have heard of spaghetti squash which is a gem of a vegetable for substituting for spaghetti pasta. Unfortunately the range of squashes here in the UK is virtually nil It was not until recent years have we seen butternut squashes we get marrows also and that is about the top and bottom of it. We get pumpkins but they are like an arm and a leg in cost then when Halloween has past then they virtually disappear off the shelves. Hmm they must think no one wants to eat them but I like a pumpkin soup made in very much the same way as butternut squash soup it gives a nice flavour. I hope that in years to come that we shall get affordable ranges of squashes for us to try.

Wow what a difference to your body not to mention weight loss and inches loss with lack of gluten in your diet. I know like you say it is not the bench mark for gluten intolerance but if you feel better on it then nothing to stop you from going down that avenue. Even getting advice from doctor or dietitian regarding this if your are worried in anyway that you maybe lacking something in your diet from not having the foods that gluten is contained in.

Like your sister says some experts believe that if gluten among other things is omitted from your diet it improves MS symptoms. I know one such diet is something called Best Bet diet but I know for me I would not be able to incorporate such a restrictive diet into my daily life. Cutting out gluten is one thing but omitting dairy, gluten, legumes the list goes on what is permitted. I think I could tackle one reasonably easily but all together is another matter mission impossible for me but if that is the choice for any MSer I do not discourage anyone for giving it ago.

Sorry to hear that you have so much stress in your life right now but it natural with all that you are juggling right now all which are pretty stressful individually never mind all come along on one bus load together.

I am sending prayers for your father and MIL regarding their health. I do hope it is a good outcome for your MIL forth coming operation. poor Dad being unable to get up after falling it is awful not being able to get up with help and can sympathise with Dad. ( I can't always get up and rely on DH getting me upright) No wonder you were so upset about Dad I would have been had it been my own father. I really do hope that you are able to get a bungalow (one storey dwelling here in UK) to suit your needs and Dad can come and live with you. Plus one bonus I am sure that a one storey dwelling will suit your own physical challenges that you have regarding mobility or may have in the future. I really do hope that you are given the strength you need to meet your forth coming stresses in your life and I am thinking about you and your family

ROSEBUD Thanks so much for the prayers for my family it has been much appreciated and I am thankful that my sister has come through her operation and on the road to recovery. I really hope that she sees some improvement after the operation though there are no guarantees this will happen as the surgeon told her. I think the operation was also done to protect her spinal cord with her disk being pushed out of shape and was now showing signs with pins and needles / numbness in her legs. I hope that she has less pain than she did as that will be be a bonus anything else is icing on the cake.

I am trying so hard not for it to affect my health as I know a relapse may chip away a little bit more of what I am capable of doing right now. I try to have a tiny bit of me time every day to ensure I can chill out and relax the best I can. If I can sit and read a book for a little while often that takes me to another time and place that the book is set in. Magically it allows you to forget your worries and cares for a short moment in time.

I have been to the farmers market today which was heaving I think everybody decided to visit today and the car park was very full. I was lucky and picked up all the things I wanted to buy. Like sugar free cakes and scones. Great for treat without being too bad on the calories. At least the sugars are natural ones. I was speaking to the baker and he told me date (pureed) are used to sweeten many things like fruit cake or carrot cake. It is nice that they are making a range for diabetics and those who are watching what we eat. I have put them into the freezer ready for pack up days on deliveries.

I hope you all having a great weekend take care all

purpleorc
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #22  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ Just stayed home and did lots of research today, as we had a visitor this afternoon who makes and rents and sells motorized bikes from down in the Ottawa area.

He shared some tips with me about losing weight; he is on the FIT 4 LIFE plan and has lost 40 lbs in only just over 2 months; but he started high. I read that program when it first came out in the 80's and instilled some of the ideas when I could. I may give it a whirl for a day or so to see if I can master it. I already have the dinner on some nights; and fruit and snacks alone now, but putting the whole plan together would take some planning and extra effort for me, I think.

I'm not sure (as I was back then) that I would like the whole plan as it is so opposite of how we have been eating all our lives. However, a lot of the ideas may help those with IBS or other digestive disorders. Our family has so many of them, including lactose intolerance; digestive and absorption problems; and IBS ... all of which the author claims can be helped by their plan.

Have a super Sunday ... Rosebud
Old 02-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #23  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Having a quite relaxing weekend after the racing speed of late our life's had been going. I have been out for lunch today from a treat from DH much appreciated.

I have cooked a couple of gammon joints today. One to eat and one to freeze policy that I try to adopt when ever possible. I am going to use one for sandwiches tonight and the other has already cooled down enough to be frozen. Had an accident today when I thought I could lift this pan of water and but my strength is going slowly from me and all I did was pour boil hot water on my foot Quickly did the first aid procedure for burns and I think I have managed to stop the blistering although it is red I know it could have been far worse. My guardian angel must have protected me from what could have been a nasty accident. I have put some cream on my foot for minor burns called "sudocrem" it works wonders at taking the stinging pain associated with burns. So lesson learned today not to lift that pan with water in it now as it is above my capabilities. I sometimes over step the mark and think things are within my abilities and they are far from it resulting in all sorts of mischief

Our dear Rizzie is not so well today he is a bit lethargic and can't be bothered attitude. He has spent a lot of the day asleep which is not like him he normally likes to have a good playing session with his ball being thrown or hidden around the house to find. He has perked up a bit this afternoon but still not right by a long chalk. He is still eating as he has had a little bit of of cooked gammon I had cooked earlier. No vomiting or the runs but I think he has arthritis has he is struggling to get in to his chair at times and his rear end doesn't come with him. Will keep an eye on him closely if he does not pick up he has got himself a one way ticket to his favourite place the vet (not really he makes such a racket he is embarrassing not that he his aggressive or anything like that when being examining just over excitable)

ROSEBUD Sounds like you have been busy with your internet research where would we be without the internet and it's usefulness in providing us with information to our fingertips.

Nothing to lose by trying your friend weight loss programme it may suit your life style and health issues. You can always return to your eating programme that you are on at the moment if things are not working for you. I have heard of the programme but not that I know anything much about the programme apart from the name. You never know you may find it is the one for you not one programme suits all. I think we know that when we read others stories and find that they had tried numerous times before but not succeeded but trying something new and the penny dropped for them.

There are so many people whom suffer from the health issue called IBS and its debilitating symptoms that it has anything that can lessen the symptoms and make you feel in control rather than the IBS is worth it. So often it is triggered by certain foods or beverages and the symptoms so embarrassing at times. Medication can help but if you can control what triggers it in the first place then medication can be reduced or not taken altogether. The more I hear of IBS the more people I hear that have the condition in various severities it would be nice if there was a cure for it

Must go and finish my before it goes cold till next time have a lovely Sunday and take care

purpleorc
Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #24  

Not really sure if this is the place to post this, please let me know if I've messed up.

I am disabled, trying to lose weight and have been trying to find ways of exercises to suit me with my limited capabilities.

Well I found that Avon is selling a couple of things that are ideal for people with mobility problems. They are selling a Tone and Stretch Band for £3 in the next couple of weeks (I'd been advised to get one and had no idea where! lol) and a Gyroscopic Ball for toning your arms. Both of these can be used sitting down and seem not to be too demanding on the body.

I don't know if this is an international thing for Avon, or just in the UK, but I thought I'd share this if anyone else like me has had trouble finding things that suit them.
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #25  
Rosebud

TIGZ ~ Yes, you certainly are in the right place. We are glad that you decided to join us here in our thread. I see that you are from Scotland; my SM and her family are from there and possible one of my Grandfather's too. We're not sure, but he does have a Scottish surname; although some immigrants used to take on other's names when they came to Canada a long time ago, but we do know that they did come from the UK.

Thanks for the good tip on where to buy a new stretchie band. I really liked mine but the last few times, I was using it; the danged thing snapped in half, and then in half again ... Gave me quite a fright really, but it was funny too. We do have AVON here too, but I don't know if they sell all the same products or not, but you never know.

I also do other toning exercises laying in my bed in the AM before I get out of bed, plus I do arm aeorbics in my chair. I even do some while in the internet while waiting for things to come up; I do arm movements (sometimes to music) and chair situps or tummytucks as I call them, but they all work the same.

Here's how you do them: you hold your tummy in and cross your arms in front of you, then move forwards and back about 8-12" ... repeat about 10-15 times. As time goes on, you can do more. Sometimes I vary it by putting my arms out in front of me, clasping my hands; and over the back of my head. Stretching your legs out in front of you whilst doing them also helps work your lower tummy too. I repeat them each way about 10 times.

Do you have a eating plan that you like? Do come back now, and tell us some more about yourself. And maybe you could explain more about that exercise ball for your arms; I haven't heard of that one yet, but maybe I'll google it ...
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #26  
Rosebud

HI PURPLE ~ sorry to hear that you had an accident with the boiling water -- yes, we have to be so careful esp with things like that. I'm glad that you weren't injured any worse, but I'm sure that was bad enuff; might be better to leave the heavy lifting to DH from now on. I pray that your foot heals up well and quickly.

Also your Rizzie is under the weather too; gotta send up some prayers for him too. Our girls had the same problems as they aged too; and NIKO seems to catch our colds. There are so many going around these days. One of DH's cousins is bed-ridden this weekend with one; so we are praying for her to recover quickly.

I may try some aspects of that Fit 4 Life plan; not sure if I could do it all the time, but I will try and gleam some benefits from parts of it at least. I was thinking of trying some meals or maybe every other day and see how that goes for awhile. I did the breakfast and lunch today just to try it out. I found the lunch menu a bit lacking; only 2 choices given, so that will definitely need some work.

We had milder temps today with the out for awhile too -- it got up to -7C this afternoon. Made roast chicken with veggies and sweet potatoes for dinner tonight; so nice with lots left over for another meal.

Hope you all have a Marvellous Monday tomorrow; and do take good care of yourselves too ... Rosebud
Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #27  
MSer living healthy

Hello fellow chicks

We have a grey dreary morning but fortunately no rain not been out so far today so not sure how warm it is. Although this is typical weather for this time of the year for the UK .

Today it has been a vegetarian fayre for lunch with harricot and aduzki beans (spelling?) sweet thai chill. I cheated and used a sauce from a jar I must confess and the beans come to that. It make a lovely dinner and made double portion so that we can put a meal into the freezer for a later date. It turned out better than expected I must admit .

Well our Rizzie seems much brighter and perky this morning more like back to his normal self which is pleasing . Not ate much yesterday but that is the same with humans if we feel unwell often the first thing to go is our appetite. He has at least wanted to play with his ball in short bursts today so maybe he is on the mend and had a 48 hour bug or something like that or just his arthritis catching up with him. He is no spring chicken at 11 I forget his age at times as he is so sprightly not acting his age at all when I compare to my SIL Alsatian dogs who are the same age they do seem elderly in the way they are.

Already made sandwiches for tomorrow at the ms centre and whilst I was doing that I made today's tea as I would have all the same things out. So all organised now I think for tea and tomorrow. Need to have a shower later to wash my hair which is a little greasy I noticed this morning. Friends of ours are now on their holidays and they have gone to Sri Lanka for a fortnight. 4 days touring and 10 days in a resort. I hope they have a wonderful time and look forward to hearing about their travels.

TIGZ to the board glad you have found us and this is the right place as you have challenges like the rest of us who post on here.

Like yourself I am also from the UK and have found this board a godsend as her people understand how difficult it is to undertake exercise and our achievements in this area maybe small but here on this board are big

Thanks for letting us know of different forms of exercise that we may look into any suggestions are gratefully received. I have heard of bands that you have mentioned but not the company you mentioned. Look forward to getting to know you better over the forth coming weeks.

ROSEBUD Yes painful lesson learned about moving heavy pans I just get carried away and sometime forget that is beyond my capabilities now. I just think I go into "automatic pilot" mode when working and this makes me absent minded I am very fortunate that I have altered sensation in my feet I have lost a lot of normal feeling from my knees down really and each relapse more has been taken away. With lessened feeling in my lower limbs I am blessed in not been in pain from the burn when clearly I should so I am fortunate for that reason. I will have to keep a close eye on it to make sure that it is OK. There is no blister but it is very red for a two inch square area just above my big toe on my left foot. Thanks for the prayers for the swift healing much appreciated.

Your prayers for Rizzie seem to be working as he is seeming a much perkier fellow this morning with that glint in his eye looking for mischief I know as our baby gets older it is to be expected he will slow down like we all do when we are older. I really hope your prayers for your poorly cousin whom is bedridden is well soon and back on her feet are answered.

Even if you do not fully undertake all of the "fit 4 life plan" taking bits of it that you can incorporate into your daily menu could be good. To be honest as you know I count calorie well when I started on this journey I would take recipes from all different sections of this board. Plus a big help for me as a starting point was the pyramid of food which gave me a guide to how much of each food I could have. Like say 2 portions of dairy or 5 slices of bread. It really helped me tow the line in and a good starting point over the months I have tweaked it has you know adding or taking away things as needed to where I am today. It is a growing processes one I think I will always be learning something new that I can incorporate into my life style.

Well in the absence of a fairy godmother I must go as I have dishes from dinner which still need washing as we had a later lunch today so hence pots still lingering about. So hope you all have a smashing Monday and catch you all soon

purpleorc

Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #28  

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for the lovely welcome and advice. Had a very busy day and not been able to do much. Just been raiding youtube and found some really good chair workouts to try. LOL Does anyone else feel like a complete muppet when you are doing a workout dvd? I wish I could do it with a paper bag over my head! Must remember to close the curtains ROFL! Or I might end up on youtube!

Hoping tomorrow won't be just as hectic and will get a chance to do a shopping list and menu for the next few days. I always find it easier for doing the shopping and financially if I make my menu first and then make the shopping list from that. Then I need to go around the supermarket with blinkers on! Not good in a mobility scooter, but fun to see the nervous look on the faces of people in front of you! Mwaaaahahahahahahahaha (Evil Laugh)

Why isn't winter over yet? We got a little sunshine here this morning and even though it was blimin freezing, I felt it charging my batteries.

I'M SICK OF HIBERNATING!!!!! LET ME OUT!!!!!
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #29  
Rosebud

HI TIGZ ~ you have a great attitude; sounds like you have some fun in your scooter in the grocery store. The weather here was cold today too; one of those days that you definitely want winter to be over with pronto.

We had to go out today and those winds almost blew us away. DH had a dentist appointment, otherwise we would have just stayed home. We picked up some fresh foods and did some errands whilst we were out there; but boy, I was glad to get back home.

DH was just saying it feels cold in here right now, so I am going to put the furnace up a bit to make it feel warmer in here. I just noticed that I can hear the winds coming down the furnace pipe ... The cold is bothering us much more as we age.

I'm glad you found some exercises to do on youtube; and yes, DH sometimes comments to me that I look like a traffic cop waving my arms around all over the place ... I said I don't care; it works for me, so I don't care whether others think I'm nuts or not ...

Hope you have a great shopping trip tomorrow ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-08-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #30  
Rosebud

HEY PURPLE ~ so glad to hear that you and Rizzie are both feeling much better today. Every now and then, our NIKO has a day where he seems to sleep a lot, but then the next day, he is right as rain.

I am making lots of double meals now myself; I try to make at least that many now. Tomorrow we are having leftover chicken and roasted veggies from Sunday's dinner. We had hamburgers today becuz I was famished. I did fruit for breakfast but by dinnertime, I am starving. I calculated that plan has way too few calories for me. I may do the odd meal, but the overall plan doesn't suit me at all; as it's way too restrictive ...

I think vegetarians or even vegans would like it better; it really sounds to me like that's what the plan is really about ... plus it's very low cal to boot. I don't miind a meatless meal here and there, but I am a meat lover; I just seem to function better with lean protein and complex carbs. So, I am going to stick to my calorie-counting as I am doing so well with it now.

Hope you have a terrific day at your therapy tomorrow; and do take good care ... Rosebud