Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #1  

Unhappy Knee Replacement Challenge

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who needs to have one or both knees replaced and how they have managed to do any exercise? My weight has gone up in the last 20 years because of my Fibromyalgia and the different medications. After an accident Jan 1st of '09, I had MRI's done on my knees and was told there is no cartilege there and I need double knee replacements. I have been putting the surgery off because of the expense, even with insurance, I have been out of work for 13 months now and it is just me. I would like to loose 25-30 pounds of the 100 I need to loose "before" I go in for surgery to make rehab easier. But I can barely get up and down from a chair let along exercise. Anyone else out there? I will be 60 next month so sympathies for my upcoming new decade celebration will also be greatly appreciated...
thanks...
rtpshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #2  

I have not seen any replies - are there no fat chicks who have to have knee replacements?
rtpshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Hi, my uncle had this knee replacement surgery last year. He is in his early 60's as well. I noticed after this he was very strict in his exercise regimen as it is essential he said to the proper recovery of the knee replacement. He is also overweight. He would use a stationary bicycle everyday and take short, safe walks. His other leg still needs to get the surgery. I'm not sure what you can do before the surgery... maybe it would be beneficial to talk to a doctor about it or a physical therapist. and I wish you the best of luck and health!!

Last edited by Mikan; 01-04-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #4  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Have you thought about swimming? Another option is chair aerobics or chair exercise routines. I did a quick google search and there are plenty sites out there, but this one looks promising: http://www.livewellagewell.info/stud...sUGA113006.pdf

I'm fairly young but I was faced with a bad knee injury early last year. Between having knee surgery and a previous ankle injury on my other leg, I wasn't able to do "normal" exercises. Hope this helps!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/206/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi, I'm 43 and scheduled for a partial knee replacement this month. Activities have been getting fewer & fewer, as it really hurts to walk. I'm trying to get into arm weights, just 5 & 10 lb dumbells.
shinylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 402/277/healthy

Height: 5'4"

Hi rtpshopper !!

First, since you mentioned you're going to be 60 this month

I'm 55 and had my left knee replaced in '06 and the right in '08. The most important thing you need to know (IMO) is that the experience is very different for everyone. In fact, I was surprised when having my second knee done because it was nothing like the first.

Certainly, exercise and losing weight before your sugery would be a good thing. But, pain and fibro can make that seem pretty overwhelming! The exercises my surgeon had me focus on the most were the ones to build strength in my legs. Most of them can be done laying down. I just remember that although they were hard to do, they weren't really painful. And didn't aggravate my fibro.

The book Meg recommended is a good one. I used it before and after surgery.

Talk to your surgeon and explain very candidly what you can and can't do, given both your current knee pain and your fibromyalgia. Then, ask what's the best plan for you in terms of getting ready for your knee replacements.

The recovery wasn't easy for me, but I'm certainly glad I had it done.

Good luck!!

(I haven't been here long enough to PM you, but feel free to contact me)
bluebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote